The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank or DPS for PvP ?

tomkeifer

Alright, I'm valor 56 and wondering for battlemaster if I should go for the tank set or the dps set.

Right now I got full champion for both dps and tank.

I used to be tank but I didn't feel very useful to my team. I do a lot of PuGs so maybe that's the problem. When I'm Defense specced I feel that everyone is just ignoring me cause I do siht damage and they just rush the healers then kill me.

ATM, I'm assault specced and the burst damage is pretty crazy. I feel much more useful to my team by actually killing healers. I can 1 on 1 pretty much everything except for the operatives who kill me in less than 10 seconds.

but I feel so weak, I hardly have 16k health and I feel so squishy.

I enjoyed playing both speccs, I want to know which one ends up being the best past valor 60. :/

My experience, for Random Pugs and solo PVP experiences, DPS > Defense.

Another thought could be to go Iron Fist (SS/Assault Hybrid) w/ DPS gear instead of tanking... Your versatility from the skills is awesome and the gear makes up for any shortfalls in dps.

just a thought.

My plan is to stay Assault spec, and use the ELIMINATOR set.

I would not recommend using the Supercommando set unless you are regularly grouping with a set group and they rely on you to die last.

I love the hybrid tank spec w/ DPS gear on my sin and shadow, but rolled the vanguard specifically for its "MDPS w/ pull and range" package.

Edited by Hethroin

Due to the way mitigation stats like defence/shield/absorb work in pvp, you’re better off stacking useful stats instead eg, more aim/end, crit, power.

In this regard, I’m working on pulling out the defence mods/enhancements on Supercommando gear and replacing them with crit/power mods/enhancements.

This really suits my pvp hybrid build, being the 21/2/18 parakeet.

I win half if not more of my matches (which I feel is a good situation being a republic) and I get a bunch of medals along the way.

Know your roll. In PVP WZs I focus on the objectives which a tank vanguard is better suited for. Right now I'm running with 32 points in shield tree just trying out some different mechanics ( no i didn't take energy blast).

Shield isn't completely useless. It's only useless against casters and tracer missles but still works well vs snipers and muraders.

I feel like a beast and can still do respectable damage. I soloed 2 muraders in a hutball match and in another hutball I was the obvious ball carrier vs my own faction. After the match a person on the other team whispered me " OMG you're so hard to kill" which made me smile because I was playing my roll correctly and still being a threat to the other team.

When we dual spec I'll make one spec my firecracker build ( 0/31/10 plasma cell). BTW , if you wan't to dps like crazy and have considerably more survivability than a pure assult build firecracker then might be worth looking into. Shock absorbers and hold the front line are great tools to have.

I find Shield Spec is a beast in PvP. You are insanely hard to kill. With all your skills and CDs you can have 5 people beating on you for almost no damage. You dont do a lot of damage, but I find myself in the top for kills and medals anyway.

Normally I would say it depends on what you want to do, make kills or work towards objectives. I do the later and went tank specced.

The problem I have now is since the changes a couple of patches ago, burst damage is down for everyone and this makes healing a lot more effective. I'm dieing less and doing more damage, but i'm not killing people. Tank spec cant do anything against healers 1on1 where as we could before.

Ive tried dps vanguard specs and dont like them. If your going to do dps, go commando.