The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Countering Powertechs as a Sharpshooter Gunslinger

IronFirewind

Basically this is the only class that gives me problems as a Sharpshooter Gunslinger (Marksman Sniper mirror). Any tips on countering this class? The ones that give me most trouble is "Whatever spec gets in your face fast and spams the crap out of Rocket Punch on you" of that helps at all :p (PvP Tank spec I think?)

So, any advice on how I can improve my game against them? This is assuming Premade vs Premade (so assume both me and the Powertech have friends on voice chat) and not 1v1 since 1v1 rarely happens and the game isn't balanced for 1v1 anyway.

Well I'm talking about a Gunslinger since I'm currently gearing one up. This is the CC they have:

Percussive Shot - 10m Range Knockback tied to an ability on a 15s CD (Aimed Shot). KB distance and Resolve filled depends on how close they are. (Only usable in Cover)

Pulse Detonator - Point blank AoE Knockback + Root. Has a range of roughly 4m and does knock people back quite a distance. Fills up resolve a lot. Breaks on damage. (Only usable in Cover)

Flash Grenade - AoE Blind - 35m range breaks on damage and pretty much fills the resolve gauge.

Leg Shot - Ranged Root, 35m range, breaks on damage. Is bugged and doesn't always fill resolve as it should.

Dirty Kick - 4 Second Stun, melee range only.

I also have the Cybertech grenades so add in an extra really shot range OHSHI- CC with a 5 minute CD. Might as well add in DIversion too which is a 45% accuracy penalty for 9 seconds but it's also kind of buggy against Force and Tech damage.

Edited by IronFirewind

In a team pvp situation, you shouldn't be targetting them if they're tank spec.

Other than that, I'd suggest popping dodge right after they dot you up so you don't get hit by rail shot and just run through your maximum burst combo. Make sure you don't fill up their resolve bar before your knockbacks are exhausted.

Once you knock them back and leg shot them you can take the time to sab charge + aimed shot + trickshot + instant charge burst for some pretty decent spike damage. Throw in a speed shot somewhere in there and it ought to make him reconsider running at you.

You can also drop flyby on yourself, make him think twice about sitting in melee range.

In a team pvp situation, you shouldn't be targetting them if they're tank spec.

Other than that, I'd suggest popping dodge right after they dot you up so you don't get hit by rail shot and just run through your maximum burst combo. Make sure you don't fill up their resolve bar before your knockbacks are exhausted.

Once you knock them back and leg shot them you can take the time to sab charge + aimed shot + trickshot + instant charge burst for some pretty decent spike damage. Throw in a speed shot somewhere in there and it ought to make him reconsider running at you.

You can also drop flyby on yourself, make him think twice about sitting in melee range.

Usually we call for focus fire on a tank or DPS then quickly target switch to put pressure on the healer if they're guarded and protected well.

My usual tactics are similar to said though I think I'll start doing better against them once my Gunslinger's geared up as well as my Sentinel.

Thanks anyway, will consider that the next time one comes charging my way :D

Basically this is the only class that gives me problems as a Sharpshooter Gunslinger (Marksman Sniper mirror). Any tips on countering this class? The ones that give me most trouble is "Whatever spec gets in your face fast and spams the crap out of Rocket Punch on you" of that helps at all :p (PvP Tank spec I think?)

So, any advice on how I can improve my game against them? This is assuming Premade vs Premade (so assume both me and the Powertech have friends on voice chat) and not 1v1 since 1v1 rarely happens and the game isn't balanced for 1v1 anyway.

If you're able to fire on them without them looking it's just a matter of doing enough damage. Not sure what you're abilities are so you'll have to look up the mirrors, but Explosive Probe, Corrosive Dart are going to be your best options. If you're got one trying to kill you, you're going to have to kite/LoS. Use your Leg Shot and what defensive cooldowns you have (Shield Probe, Knockback, Ballastic Barrier). PT/Vanguards are the counter to you, since they don't have any real cast time abilities they use, and love to be up in your face, but still have ranged damage.

Shieldtech's are designed to be most heavily defended against snipers/gunslingers than any other class with their dmg types and ranged attacks.

So I'm the plate tank and your the archer.. try shooting the damn cloth wizard, cloth rogue, or cloth / leather healer as your natural preys. not the tank thats configured to best defend your dmg. its wildly inefficient for your team if there are ANY other targets. much better to leave shieldtechs to force dmg dealers like your sorcs and assassins. MUCH better.

Sorry, we are just the rock to your scissors. Avoid us if you can because we are gonna stun/jet charge, stun/grapple, or shield/blitz you every chance we get :D

We know how deadly you are to our other team members, and we know its our job as best-protected class against you to get in your face.

Edited by Prolyfic

Sorcs cry when they have to kill PTs just like Snipers do. They have very few abilities to bypass armor (1 weak dot and one heavy hitting 15s cooldown AE). It's just painful to try and kill someone who has 45+% damage reduction through armor+Ion Cylinder, and a 25% DR shield. Mercs do a bit better with HGC. Assassins, I dunno. They have some armor bypassing abilities and internal damage, but I don't know how much.

Ironically, Pyro PTs are very good at busting through armor with a lot of elemental damage and armor piercing rail shots

Stay behind your cover, and hope you have the high ground on the PT so that he can't run up to you.

Stay behind your cover, and hope you have the high ground on the PT so that he can't run up to you.

That is the reason that I personally always attack snipers first. Nothing is more frustrating as a tank than not being able to grapple or charge an enemy, its the only way I can usually get close enough to deal damage.

Personally what I do to take out snipers is elctro-dart to break their cover and then charge. Personally if I have a healer keeping me alive, snipers have no chance of taking me out and would be best off trying to kill my healer.