Remembering a great SWG battle

AlmightyGrain

This is an imperial invasion of Anchorhead on the server Scylla. I posted it a couple years ago on youtube and the music was disabled for it, that issue was resolved and the music is back on for it. it is a bit laggy because it was Fraps and SWG took a lot of computer power back then.

Edited by AlmightyGrain

I dont have a video or anything but the greatest battle I remember was on Kauri Server about 2 months after the game launched. We nicknamed it the Battle of Daeric. It started on a friday afternoon and finally ended the following sunday afternoon. The players came and went but the battle kept going.

Us Imperials all met up at the Imp Outpost on Talus. We then shuttled down to the shuttleport in the eastern part of Daeric and the fight began. After several hours we pushed them back to the cloner. But not wanting to clone zerg them we backed off to give them time to regroup. And they came back with a vengence pushing us completely out of Daeric. But we regrouped and attacked again. This went on for two days. Give and take over and over.

The funny thing for me, is I was the cause of the battle. I was bugged in SWG. I would pop overt for no reason whatsoever and most of the time wouldnt know it. I could just be sitting mining and pop overt. Or travel from one planet to another and would pop overt. Well that day I had popped overt and didnt know it. I landed at the Daeric Starport going through my daily "things to do" list. And a few rebs jumped me. This was like the 15th time I had been jumped because of this. The rebs knew me and of my bug. But some didnt care. Well my fellow Imps heard about it and the fight was on.

In the end I was granted free reign to travel in Daeric overt. But only me. Anyone else was fair game.

But that was when PVP was actually fun. People did it because it was fun. Not to get some commendation. Games like WoW, I really think, killed the heart and soul of PVP.

Tyr

I dont have a video or anything but the greatest battle I remember was on Kauri Server about 2 months after the game launched. We nicknamed it the Battle of Daeric. It started on a friday afternoon and finally ended the following sunday afternoon. The players came and went but the battle kept going.

I remember that battle! :)

Also remember at one point (Sat night?) about 200 people showed up and it caused the server to crash. Server didn't come back up for several hours.

IMO...

The holocron grind killed SWG.

my proudest moment on Tempest server:

day 1, part of random pvp group of almost 20 people, run into 2 reb jedi (short round and Iasomething) > 20 dead imps in 3 minutes

day 2: run into same jedi with 3 guildies I'm used to pvp'ing with: byebye jedi :) (forcerunning away = losing in my book)...

the mechanics in that game very clearly seperated crap players from good players in this type of situations as illustrated here

It was the CU that killed the game, not one of the Jedi grinds.

With the holocron grind, sure you had people ignoring what they enjoyed doing just so they could get a Jedi unlocked, but there were loads of others who weren't bothered and just keptplaying the classes they wanted to play.

But first the CU, then the NGE really broke the game and pissed off the vast majority of the players, especially those that had worked their asses off and already unlocked Jedi.

the crappy gear conversion also turned of a lot of people, I had loads of custom made uber gear, reduced toverdor trash due to extremely poor conversions....

but I agree pre-cu was greatly superior to the 2 lobotomised versions of swg

the crappy gear conversion also turned of a lot of people, I had loads of custom made uber gear, reduced toverdor trash due to extremely poor conversions....

I know what you mean about the gear. Since I usually played minimal combat characters, I was never too bothered about acquiring the best gear, but one of the things I was rather proud of was my Stimpacks.

One day, I was out on my speeder, visiting my harvesters when I received a mail telling my factory had finished it's run of Stim-Cs, so off I dashed to collect them, about 500 stims in all, each with around 40 charges.

The following day, I logged in to see about selling some of them, only to discover that every single one of them was completely useless thanks to the CU being launched. Ok, they might have said something about it on their forums/website, but I didn't visit game sites back then, I was only intereste in playing the game. But, that was weeks of resource gathering and crafting down the drain thanks to their first major 'Let's-screw-over-the-players' "upgrade".

I, fortunately, made out extremely well with those conversions. I had one Cdef rifle and another similar weak rifle (can't remember name) turn into the 2 best rifles on the server, I had 1 rifle for my elder jedi and 1 for my BH, that helped me out alot during that transition.

I had some of the best gear, not only of my server, but of the game, reduced to absolute crap....including:

-a mabari set with 28% stun resist yet under 100 encumbrance for the set

-the best LLC ever in swg (2.0s 820 max damage +76 accuracy)

-uber flamethrowers (2s 1174 max damage)

-my DL-44 "Dirty Harriet" with 462 max damage and high accuracy and speed...

-my 2 bars of custom made foods....many of which I had to go collect bloodY milk for!!!!

well...the list goes on....Teh day they launched the CU I died a little inside

Edited by sly_swg

I didn't start playing SWG until late so I only played it for a little while before the CU hit...tbh I didn't think it was that bad, the NGE on the other had....

Anyway I tried to PvP in TOR but it's just laggy as F. Every time I've gone to a warzone the lag has been awful, I tell my character to force charge onto someone and nothing happens. I've tried setting all the graphics to minimum, no effect on the lag. I went to Illum, there were 20 people on the planet and 4 of us fighting in the PvP area, the lag again was awful. Given up on PvP now

Bestine/Anchorhead pre-CU/NGE were amazing back in the day. New age Restuss had some pretty fun fights too, but nothing compared to the volume of players which would raid the aforementioned cities.

So true, I lived in Anchorhead for a long time after moenia.