New Player - What Should I Expect?

Noritox

As a new player and new Star Wars fan (Just watched all the movies last week) could someone be so kind as to fill me in?

I come from a background of EverQuest and WoW. So far I'm really enjoying how immersive the game is. It's definitely made "questing" fun and interesting.

Can someone give me a non-biased overview of the game?

What's the crafting like?

What's the pvp like?

What are some unique things that set this game apart?

Basically - What do I have to look forward to? :p

Take your time and enjoy the leveling experience, because there isn't much of an endgame. Crafting is, for the most part, an option because gear drops and the GTN provide just about everything you need. I don't have enough experience in PvP to provide advice, but so far I've enjoyed what little I've done there. Edited by Dezzi

As a new player and new Star Wars fan (Just watched all the movies last week) could someone be so kind as to fill me in?

I come from a background of EverQuest and WoW. So far I'm really enjoying how immersive the game is. It's definitely made "questing" fun and interesting.

Can someone give me a non-biased overview of the game?

What's the crafting like?

What's the pvp like?

What are some unique things that set this game apart?

Basically - What do I have to look forward to? :p

Crafting isn't much. Go Biochem for now or Cybertech. Crafting takes a while and it's rather dull. Don't expect much.

PvP is decent I guess. Though you might have abit of a hard time if you go Sentintel/Marauder because of the amount of slows/cc's/knock-backs and how weak they are (Durability-wise). I'd recommend Merc or Operative.

The only real unique thing is that it's 90% story driven. All quests are voice-over'd. No unique combat things, or anything.

Word of advice, roll on a high population server. Goto Torstatus.com and sort by population and roll on the highest one.

Have fun and hope you enjoy it.

Crafting isn't much. Go Biochem for now or Cybertech. Crafting takes a while and it's rather dull. Don't expect much.

PvP is decent I guess. Though you might have abit of a hard time if you go Sentintel/Marauder because of the amount of slows/cc's/knock-backs and how weak they are (Durability-wise). I'd recommend Merc or Operative.

The only real unique thing is that it's 90% story driven. All quests are voice-over'd. No unique combat things, or anything.

Word of advice, roll on a high population server. Goto Torstatus.com and sort by population and roll on the highest one.

Have fun and hope you enjoy it.

http://Torstatus.net fixed it for u:cool:

And yea if u want to play with a lot of ppl don't make the same mistake i did. I chose crevasse city server and while yes i rarely get any lags or jumped in PvP areas(since its a PvE server) the GTN(Galactic Trade Network) sucks, never anything to buy, and its hard to find players to do Flashpoints and Heroics with if ur guild is offline. So choose a standard server or maybe even a heavy one depending on ur computer, but do not pick light like i did

Edited by DarkSamink

You can look forward to hearing nothing but pith and ire on the forums, as is the current social trend to belittle Everything. Most people satisfied with the game (the type of people who embrace wat the world offers them, and simply turn away from things that dont satisfy them) are too busy playing the game to bother posting mon the forums about how awesome it is.

That said, it isnt WoW, it was never intended to be, and will never be WoW. It is Kotor ONLINE, rich with Star Wars/Kotor lore and art, and was intended for people who enjoy it, not intended to capture WoW market share. Star Wars is one of the most sucessful fiction franchise' in history, and this game is currently its best offering in virtual interactive entertainment.

The game isnt gonna 'die' in March, subscriptions will undoubtably increase as it moves forward, the game will only get better.

You can look forward to hearing nothing but pith and ire on the forums, as is the current social trend to belittle Everything. Most people satisfied with the game (the type of people who embrace wat the world offers them, and simply turn away from things that dont satisfy them) are too busy playing the game to bother posting mon the forums about how awesome it is.

That said, it isnt WoW, it was never intended to be, and will never be WoW. It is Kotor ONLINE, rich with Star Wars/Kotor lore and art, and was intended for people who enjoy it, not intended to capture WoW market share. Star Wars is one of the most sucessful fiction franchise' in history, and this game is currently its best offering in virtual interactive entertainment.

The game isnt gonna 'die' in March, subscriptions will undoubtably increase as it moves forward, the game will only get better.

Personally, being a WoW hater(sorry), i think its better than WoW. Are there bugs and issues? Yes. Will they be fixed as time goes on? Yes. Well I definitely hope so or Bioware and EA will be out of a game and I don't think they want that. Did WoW have issues and bugs when it first came out? Yes, a whole bunch. Do people give this game enough credit? No. I say this because people are to focused on the issues and bugs to see that this is really a one-of-a-kind game so far. When have you ever seen a game where its online and mostly every NPC you interact with talks? Hell, in KOTOR 1 and 2, Dragon Age 1, and a couple other single player games your character doesn't even talk yet in this one yours does. Also each class has its own storyline, its not just the beginning is different, and then every single class does exactly the same thing. They each start off on different planets(Except JC/JK and SI/SW) and the time you go to planets is different. This game will only get better.

Now there are WoW lovers that will bash the hell out of this game, because its not a "true MMO" but they have their gaming preference just like i have mine. But to think a game is going to die in 3 months of release that is made by Bioware is ridiculous. I remember when WoW first came out and it had a hell of a lot more important bugs and issues than SWTOR

Edited by DarkSamink

I'm actually getting a kick from reading the forums.

There are a lot of whiny babies and diapers to be changed I see.

But, most of my WoW guild went to SWTOR. So I'm here now and I'm enjoying it.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Hello Noritox, welcome to the community!

At the top of each forum, you'll find great threads pinned to the top. For example, the Crew Skills forum has several to get you started with crafting offered.

A great sticky with overall basics would be Goshee's Guide: Newcomers, which offers wonderful information for newcomers and seasoned players alike. New Player Help has so many fantastic guides that we have a special directory to showcase all of them. Please check out New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources to see what other terrific resources the community has put together, such as Little tips and tricks that you didn't know!

Hope that helps! Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask. The community within New Player Help is wonderful at responding :)