I'm very disappointed with Republic

Mugo

Belsavis is fine example of Republic depravity. Like

experiments where members of different alien species were drugged and also otherwise driven to fight each other

and the case of

Cathar "prince" Shange and his followers. Shange opposed the Cathar joining the Republic and was kidnapped with his followers by the Republic intelligence and placed on stasis in Belsavis for twenty years

. Republic also held

prisoners of war it officially claimed were dead

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone saying that they think the Empire and Republic are both equally evil, ask yourself this, which one would you rather live in as a regular citizen?

The Republic reminds me a lot of the USA, an imperfect union with a twisted prison colony (Gitmo/Belsavis), corrupt politicians, etc. The Empire is like a frothy mix of the worst aspects of the USSR, Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

IMO, both the Jedi and the Sith are wrong in their philosophies, but at least the Sith code isn't a pack of lies and/or wishful thinking.

It's called 'faith'.

Edit: You know what. Thinking about it, the Republic as a whole is trying to aspire to something. The Jedi are spiritually inclined. I can see why people would feel less comfortable with people trying to make the effort to be more than they are, and why people would point to the times they fail and see, 'look, they're all worthless and full of lies'. And I can also see why people would be more comfortable with the Sith, who only try to better themselves through wealth and power.

Edited by smartalectwo

It's called 'faith'.

Edit: You know what. Thinking about it, the Republic as a whole is trying to aspire to something. The Jedi are spiritually inclined. I can see why people would feel less comfortable with people trying to make the effort to be more than they are, and why people would point to the times they fail and see, 'look, they're all worthless and full of lies'. And I can also see why people would be more comfortable with the Sith, who only try to better themselves through wealth and power.

Faith is only as good as the object of your faith. I'm not even sure what you're saying I should have faith *in* here. I call the Jedi code wishful thinking and/or lies because I can't get past the first line: "There is no emotion; there is peace." Nature itself and everything about humanity cries out that is a lie.

Second, so far on my trooper I haven't seen the Republic aspire to much beyond pretending to be good and clinging to power. The entire plot of Ord Mantell involves fighting the separatists who just want out of the Republic. I may think they're naive, but I wouldn't fight to keep them in, especially seeing the corruption at all levels on that planet.

Taris is no more than a giant PR campaign. On Coruscant I spent most of my time dealing with criminals, some of whom were out in quest zones. I spent a little time repairing damage from the Imperial attack. Speaking of criminals, has it occurred to you why the smugglers joined the Republic? If you play one and pay a little attention, you find out that basically smugglers as a whole joined the Republic because they figure they don't want to deal with Imperial law enforcement. It says something bad about your system when criminals don't want the status quo to change.

On Alderaan and Tattooine, the Republic makes all kinds of noises about encouraging people to join them instead of the evil empire, but it's not very clear how Republic rule will be better. The Imperials I met on Alderaan seemed to understand the situation much better. A significant part of the questline involves dealing with the Killiks and the Ulgo (who the Republic for some bizarre reason thinks is allied with Thul). I even met Republic soldiers who openly complained about helping House Panteer--the Sith who sent me to their aid was very explicit in instructing me to do everything I could to help them. He disagreed on how to dispose of Ulgo himself, of course.

That's as far as I've gotten on my Republic toons, but so far I can say for certain that the Empire is just more competent and professional at all levels. If we could get rid of the Sith and/or support Malgus, it would actually be a pretty decent government. Of course, without the Sith we'd be vulnerable to warmongering Jedi, so I guess we'd better keep them around for something. After all, it was the Jedi desire to exterminate that ended up creating the Gormak.