Testing the waters...

ChiefyBeefy

Hey there Juggernaut community. I've been thinking of starting a series on tanking tutorials, and this is my first shot at my first video in the series: A basic overview of some of the abilities we use as Tanky Juggernauts.

I'm going to have to remake this video, because it looks like trash (though it still looks good on my hard drive), but I'm working on figuring out how to fix that. But I'm looking for feedback on the content. The feel of the video, the flow, the information given, and the overall presentation of the video (the cuts, the music, etc. Again, I know it looks grainy and the color is off).

Anyway, if you have a few minutes to spare, take a look and leave a comment on the video, or here. Whatever.

Thanks.

Nice video. I especially like how you re-played many of the skills during their descriptions, so people could get a second or third look at it while you spoke. Plus it just tickles me to watch a jugg do his stuff. Love it!

no real critique on the actual vid...well thought out descriptions and nice pace. Only things I would add (not even sure it's possible, but brainstorming a bit) would be to possibly slow down some of the moves during their description. if I was completely new to Jugg tanking, i may miss the actual skill amidst all the others. catching that one nice execution and slowing the action down will implant it in the viewers mind more effectively.

along similar lines, if its possible, it may help to use highlighting or draw notations on the screen for those skills that aren't immediately obvious. Enrage as an example. if you were able to "circle" the rage bar in a bright color, or highlight it as the skill is executed, it would draw the eye to the impact of the skill.

Again, not really criticisms, but possible ways to improve visibility to the things your actually discussing in the vid. overall a great presentation!

Thanks for your feedback. I have next to no editing skills, which is partially why the video looked like garbage. I've done some reading, and my first priority is to get the video re-uploaded with a decent quality. As I get better at editing, I definitely agree with your suggestions.

Good start - you asked for feedback, so I'll give some. You should know, however, that while I find fiction to be fun, I find the reference section to be much more enlightening. I don't get much feedback on my own videos (not going to shamelessly plug my channel in your thread, but I'll provide the link if you request it), so I'll give you the type of feedback that I myself would be looking for. I hope it's what you are also looking for :cool:

Look and Feel:

Clearly, you have seen a number of LTR videos. The style, music, and even the pitch of your voice are very similar to Kina's. I recommend that if you are going to make something, make it your own. I might be wrong, but the similarities are quite striking.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know what happened with your upload, because it has happened to me. I capture in HD, and use VirtualDub for editing, and compression. VirtualDub claims to compress in HD, but it really doesn't. I did a test upload right after running a short section of footage through VirtualDub, and while it says 720p, it clearly isn't, and came out exactly as your did. Check your file size - my HD vids run about 174 Megs/minute of footage. Perhaps programs like Adobe or Vegas Pro allow HD at smaller sizes, but I don't have those, so I don't know for sure.

The Footage Itself:

If you are going to make a *How To* video, make sure it doesn't include footage of you doing noob things...like putting a Champion mob that has a known ground AE right next to Quinn. Or focusing a Strong mob, and leaving 2 weaks to continue beating on you. Unless, of course, you are intending to illustrate something you shouldn't do. I'm not bashing your play, because I know that in the examples I gave (from the linked footage) it really doesn't matter - but if you're going to try to teach people, you don't want them seeing examples of what not to do, again, unless you are intending to point it out as such.

I also agree with an above poster - showing things like Retaliation and Enrage (and good use of them) is difficult in real time. Taking the extra effort to slow down the footage at those points, and showcasing them, can go a long way. There was no reason to do that in the test footage that you linked, I'm more speaking about the tanking *How To* video that you are looking to make in the future.

I don't know what your plans are for footage, but when I finally get around to making my own Tanking video, I am probably going to use Cademimu, or Foundry. Lots of mobs, places to showcase different types of pulls, and I don't need any *helpers.* It should work quite well for me, so I thought I would share it.

General Commentary:

I would try to avoid posing your own opinions as if they are fact. Specific example - at the end of that video, you mention THE tanking rotation...there is more than one way to skin the cat, as it were. It's your video, so obviously, your decision, but both Phottek's tanking guide, and the more recent Guardian version of it, are laced with both authors' opinion stated as facts, and it bothers me. No, I am not going to go into that any further, as those works are something I appreciate, and are overall well done. I am not immune to doing that very thing myself, but I am aware of it, and try to catch it when I can.

I would very much like to see the finished product - training and learning are eternal, as my Shadow says.

Riôt

Some great feedback man, thanks. To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about with the LTR/Kina thing, I googled LTR Kina and found nothing. I just figured metal wouldn't make good background music and that I probably shouldn't scream into the mic. My attempt was indeed to make it my own, as you said.

It seems like your feedback makes a lot of assumptions, which is by no means a criticism of the feedback, but it says that maybe my content left a lot of room for those assumptions, so it's certainly given me something to think about.

I'd like to chat with you more, if possible. Maybe to bounce ideas off of one another, etc.

Some great feedback man, thanks. To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about with the LTR/Kina thing, I googled LTR Kina and found nothing. I just figured metal wouldn't make good background music and that I probably shouldn't scream into the mic. My attempt was indeed to make it my own, as you said.

It seems like your feedback makes a lot of assumptions, which is by no means a criticism of the feedback, but it says that maybe my content left a lot of room for those assumptions, so it's certainly given me something to think about.

I'd like to chat with you more, if possible. Maybe to bounce ideas off of one another, etc.

Certainly.

http://www.learntoraid.com

Pretty much any of the Firelands video strategy guides were what I was talking about in my previous post. No idea what the Dragonsoul videos look or sound like because...I'm playing a better game now. Heh. Again, was just noting the similarities, which are not necessarily a bad thing - was just making a suggestion.

What (other) assumptions did my feedback seem to make? I'm not being argumentative, just asking for clarity. Like I said in the first paragraph, the kind of feedback that I personally want is not sugar-coated, so that is what I tried to do for you.

Overall, it was a good test run. Clean transitions, good pace. The volume level of the music was good - noticeable in the background, yet you don't have to try to speak over it. The music itself was also a good choice, overall. I agree, Metal doesn't belong in what you are trying to do.

Some ideas to bounce;

I would personally shoot the footage in a Flashpoint that I can solo. Good candidates are Cademimu, Boarding Party, Foundry. They each should allow you to show different types of pulls and strategies, and the mobs will live long enough to give you plenty of good footage for things like Retaliation, and CD usage. Any of your companions can serve as surrogate dps/healers. In fact, they might be fairly representative of the overall skill level of the playerbase in terms of making bad choices (like breaking CC), which you can showcase.

If you are going to use a group, I would recommend making sure that what you are doing is ok with everyone. While you don't really have to ask them, it's kind of uncool not to.

Your ball. :cool:

Riôt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.