Electrostaves. What's the point, exactly?

poptart_fairt

Basically, who the heck said to themselves 'alright we shall give Assassins the ability to use electrostaves...and have them do nothing but disable a significant portion of the class abilities, reducing their effectiveness to a considerable degree' then toddled off, satisfied they had made an excellent choice with their class design?

It just...boggles my mind. There is absolutely no point in them from any perspective other than an aesthetic one. They are always going to be a substantially weaker choice than the equivalent level lightsabers you'll find dotted around...an issue Sith Warriors and Jedi Guardians don't have as Vibroswords work with all their abilities.

It's mad.

I asked a couple of GMs about this and got a generic 'you need a double bladed lightsaber to use those abilities'. Uh, thanks for that I guess...? It still strikes me as an utterly alien design choice. There's no pay-off, no advantage, nothing different. It just weakens the character for no good reason.

It strikes me as a weapon that was added for Vector, a willpower melee combatant, but not a force user, since he's a companion of a non-Sith and cannot have them having a force user willing to travel with them, as that would make only slightly more sense than Jedi and Sith traveling together, with said Jedi or Sith traveling companion happily slaughtering their own faction.

Then someone probably thought that was a bit of a waste, only one guy using them, so they tossed the ability to use them onto Assassin, but didn't bother to make it work with all the things an assassin needs to work.

Edited by Battilea

Both energy and kinetic are equally mitigated by armor rating. I don't think it matters much. Also, never saw anything that wasn't a green electrostaff, other than armstech level 48 craftable one

Interesting. No other difference? And I've had orange ones.

Sith Warriors can effectively use Vibroblades is what you should have responded to that GM.

I did.

But, eh. I shrugged and just ditched the Assassin. It seems like a petty thing to be annoyed by, but it annoys the hell out of my that my character concept was getting reamed by a senseless mechanic.