I have a problem.

Lalush

No? The Republic is not automatically LS nor is the Empire automatically DS. You could still fully support the Republic and be "evil", a couple of my characters are. They're ruthless and care more about "the greater good" of the Republic even if that means acting in a way that others would consider "evil". But they aren't Imperials. They hate the Empire and fight against it.

Not at all. It's remarkably easy to be a brutal, ruthless, ends-justify-the-means, empathy-free type of person, and have your political affiliation still remain with the Republic. I would go so far as to say that General Garza is a good example of what a DS Republic character looks like in action.

I would love to see a mechanism whereby a character could defect. So a Light-Side Imperial could defect to the Republic, while a Dark-Side Republic could decide that they Empire really is right for them.

Bioware's repeatedly said this will never happen.

The Empire is a totalitarian government that endorses slavery, noble houses, and reveres the Force-users among them. They are generally very harsh, unforgiving, and ruthless. They are also fairly racist, and hold much more respect for Purebloods and Humans. While they aren't all Dark or Evil, many may be considered as such, because the Sith tend to interpret their Code as endorsing anger and hatred, which lead to the Darkside. The citizens and soldiers that aren't Force-sensitive are subservient to the Sith, so generally follow their lead.

The Republic is a democratic-republic, with elected representatives for each planet under its rule. Equality is endorsed, and slavery is mostly illegal. The Force-users among the Republic are trained to be disciplined and act more as guardians or servants, instead of rulers. Most of the races are treated equally, but humans are still slightly better off, in many cases. While they may seem Light or Good, corruption, greed, and other darker aspects live in the Republic. The Jedi are generally trained to be leaders, while serving the greater good of the galaxy, the Order, or the Republic.

So, neither side is Darkside or Lightside, just like Light and Dark are not always black and white in the sense of morality. The Empire and Republic have vastly different governments and regulations, just like the Jedi and Sith are far different than Light/Dark.

I would love to see a mechanism whereby a character could defect. So a Light-Side Imperial could defect to the Republic, while a Dark-Side Republic could decide that they Empire really is right for them.

I would entertain the ideia if this MMO wasnt story driven. But it is strongly, so im against that mechanism. As it serves no porpuse and doesnt make sense at all.

I like it as it is now actualy, it gives you teh feeling that nothing is black or white. Why i cant be a light side on empire? or why on earth a empire citezin even light side would join the republic? it doesnt make any sense. light side good deeds, helping and caring for others, if you are in empire you would care for your people and for the wellbeing of your people, why you would care for the republic? just because im light sided? lol that is a narrow and basic view imo.