The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Power relics for Tanking pve

Crumpetxxix

Ok, so I'm mostly a pvper that does HM ops and flashpoints on the side. I don't know the exact stats for the pve equivilent relics but if I am right, the base stat is endurance plus the active effect.

That being said, instead of grabbing a defense rating relic, wouldn't it be more beneficial to grab a power rating relic instead? You dont lose any flat stats (if I remember correctly the power one has higher endurance).

Pt tanks get kinda screwed on the defense chance so you wouldn't be losing too much in a boss fight by not having that boost from the relic. Instead grab the power relic and pop that sucker as much as possible so you can produce a bit more threat in fights so your dps doesn't need to hold back as much early in fights. Especially since I've been seeing that threat scales poorly for tanks when your raid groups are getting to the rakata gear. This would also help you build a base threat earlier so dps can start popping the big cool downs earlier on to destroy the enrage timer.

Any thoughts?

The same could be applied to jugs instead of a shield/absorb rating relic, but I'm sure they would be losing out more in terms of overall tanking capability since they can still use shields more effectively than a power tech uses defense chance. Especially at a low shield rating where diminishing returns haven't hit u too hard. For example with no shield or absorb rating on your armor, the 220 shield/abs rating relic would give you about 10.2% shield chance and 12% absorb, which would be a much greater loss to their overall damage mitigation vs the threat gained with the power relic, even after the diminishing returns they will have from the shield/absorb rating from their gear

I'm not sure, if you popped explosive fuel and the crit/surge relic you would definitely draw higher threat, especially with your base crit, crit from aim, and the IA crit buffs I would think it would be better. But I suppose for someone with lesser gear and can't get enough crits in to make it worth while that power may be better in that scenario

I think if you are geared enough and your healers are doing their jobs right that defense cd shouldn't bee to vital compared to the other tanks. I've noticed more often then not having aggro issues vs survivability issues to where I would think the defense relic wouldn't be missed.

Plus I'm pretty sure a crit relic has more end so your still gaining a little flat survivability.

I'd have to check the numbers later to see if the loss is even that noticeable