Leveling Heal spec

Sost

Just what the title says. Is leveling heal spec a viable option? How slow is it? I understand that your survivability would by high, but if it is freakishly slow, I might not enjoy it. I just hit level 10, so I also don't get a dps pet for a while.

Just what the title says. Is leveling heal spec a viable option? How slow is it? I understand that your survivability would by high, but if it is freakishly slow, I might not enjoy it. I just hit level 10, so I also don't get a dps pet for a while.

Dont do it, wast of time.

Leveling a Seer is slow and steady. You don't kill fast, but there is no downtime in between fights as long as you pay attention. Also you get a tank as your first companion, almost like Bioware wants you be one, eh?

Then again my first character was a Bounty Hunter Powertech and I don't know how slow they level compare to DPS classes. I just play to enjoy the game, plus I'm waiting for endgame to get a little more material in it.

Right now I'm a 49 Seer.

I leveled full Seer in both PvE and PvP (yes, I healed Pug WZs during that horrible time where as noobs we had to play against already geared 50s with no lives). Honestly, I think it was the best way to level in terms of learning important ways to kite, LoS, etc. Just my experience.

I leveled full Seer in both PvE and PvP (yes, I healed Pug WZs during that horrible time where as noobs we had to play against already geared 50s with no lives). Honestly, I think it was the best way to level in terms of learning important ways to kite, LoS, etc. Just my experience.

Yep, agreed! I leveled as a Seer even when I was catching up to my guild since I went away for 2 weeks at launch.

Since I was leveling solo, I figured I could at least practice on my companion and learn the best rotations so I'd be ready for end-game content later. It didn't feel slow, though I had no comparisons of course :p

I also used Qyzen up until 50, he wasn't too bad with DPS, though now I use Nadia.

Healers can solo more challenging content than any other class spec. Qyzen will put out respectable enough dps and on top of that can be configured for a 'dps mode'. He will also take more hits and keep the attention of what you're fighting.

i have levelled a scoundrel and now a sage to 50 switching with both between healing and dps specs as i get bored with one or the other. i can tell you that healing is a lot slower for solo content than dps spec. dps you just kill stuff much quicker for obvious reasons. especially trash mobs, which is 80% of the solo content. since i got nadia at 44 i have gone heal spec in preparation for endgame and it's slower but not bad and quite fun. personally i found that no companion before her could put out sufficient dps to warrant soloing as a healer. on average i would say healing is about 75% as fast as leveling as dps.

also in WZs you will get a lot more medals as DPS. you are looking at averaging 6-7 as dps (you should still get an opportunity to get a medal for your 2.5k heal) but only 4-5 as a healer, as healers are very hard done by in pvp. not sure why anyone would heal WZs except for the pure love of it, which is fine. i routinely was topping healing (usually as the only healer) and often topping objectives as well and often getting no MVPs and just 3-4 medals. even if you only do daily WZs, those extra medals as a dps will add up over 40 levels to a lot more valour/xp/commendations etc.

so short answer i would say go dps unless you get really bored with it or just love healing.

edit: ^ oh yeah as was pointed out, one of the few benefits of healing is being able to solo some heroics and being able to solo some champion mobs without too much difficulty. not really worth it imo.

Edited by perato

I am currently running healer spec (with a couple points in middle tree) I may not be the fastest at killing things, but being on a pvp world, it is nice to know that I can usually survive any surprise attack by the imps.

I also never have any trouble doing the heroics on a planet. All I do is say healer lfg for heroic x, y, or z, and we start.

On my healing toon, my goal is to learn how to heal. I have a pure dps toon for those days when all I want to do is go pew-pew-pew.

I like it. I play extremely reckless but effective as I have been told by a couple guildmates. Soon as I got forcequake I more or less roll through content. I'm currently 38 and not amazingly decked out.

I use a dps companion as a gap filler on my damage. I have not noticed any worse kill speed compared to the normal dps with heal companion. If anything it's been faster. With hardly any downtime I would dare say it is about equal from experience. The only ones that I've seen get a better kill speed is commando/mercs.

I use qyzen for soloing Heroic 2+ as well. It allows me to not worry about finding others while allowing practice in clutch healing, the joys of proper cc, and management of focus targeting. If qyzen goes down your learn how to abuse slows and dots, keep distance, and understand LoS mechanics. I've solo'd down quite a few bosses simply by DoT kiting and using pillars without a companion.

Yeah it's not bad at all. Plus, it's a life safer with something doesn't go as planned. It is the one class I feel okay if I get a whole extra pack of mobs. My companion and I may get beat down to an inch of our life in that situation but we'll usually win out in the end. So no, it's definitely not freakishly slow. Plus I just prefer to use the spec I intend on endgame while levelling so I can get overly familiar with the mechanics til they are second nature.