Railgun!

TapSumBatt

Alright, I happened to think that Railgun is one of the coolest things we can do so I am hoping for some love for this ability!

I can't speak for Powertech since I rolled Merc but I can almost do the same damage with an auto hit as a fully buffed Railgun shot : (

I wouldn't mind if you stole some damage from say... Tracer Missile and put it into Railgun for a slightly stronger CD :>

Or maybe I am the only railgun nerd around?

Railshot is our hardest hitting attack after Thermal Detonator.

Sounds nice! I followed another thread and a lot of people were saying Pyro is better as Powertech?

I am a PvP'er by heart so I will probably go Pyro, but did I made a huge misstake then rolling Merc?

Sounds nice! I followed another thread and a lot of people were saying Pyro is better as Powertech?

I am a PvP'er by heart so I will probably go Pyro, but did I made a huge misstake then rolling Merc?

everyone whines about merc arsenal, have yet to see a "pyro is OP" thread

I pvp a lot as merc pyro (used to play arsenal). The thing I'm jealous of from PT is the control they get with a hybrid tank build. Grapple and the charge ability. You have to sacrifice TD but since most matches (for me at least) are huttball I crave an ability that will get me on the ball or the bleeping sorc camping on the second tier.

I've pretty much shelved my Merc for PVP and playing PVE on it. I rack far more medals / objectives on my Sin and Sniper.

Imo, medals are not everything, as a pryo merc myself i find that being able to kite around multiple people during hutt ball is very useful to my team. I find myself having 3-4 people chasing me around for up to 30 secs if my sheild/kolto overload are up. That 30 secs that half their team is after me, my team is face-rolling over the other 4 and scoring while I just run, dot, run LoS heal, sheild, run etc. That said, I still bank between 6-9 medals per game. :D

I would assume pyro would be strongest with Power tech mostly because power tech gains additional elemental damage in the form of flame sweep and flame burst which is improved by the talents in pryo.

though this means you'll be in melee range more than a merc spec which is mostly ranged

also the shield and advance prototype trees do improve your rail shot and fire abilities (assuming that the combustion gas cylinder proc is considered fire attack) which mean it boost your damage

but as an merc pyrotech you got the ranged advantage and thats about it :p

Merc is great for pvp. Don't worry. Pyro PT's are REALLY, ReALLY strong though, but are still flying under the radar as not many play it, and it is not a one button class.

everyone whines about merc arsenal, have yet to see a "pyro is OP" thread

"Pyro is OP'd" threads do exist, but not many. Dps PT's are rare, and GOOD Pyro's are rarer still.

Alright, I happened to think that Railgun is one of the coolest things we can do so I am hoping for some love for this ability!

I can't speak for Powertech since I rolled Merc but I can almost do the same damage with an auto hit as a fully buffed Railgun shot : (

I wouldn't mind if you stole some damage from say... Tracer Missile and put it into Railgun for a slightly stronger CD :>

Or maybe I am the only railgun nerd around?

TM hits for 80% of what RS does, and is spammable. You also have charged shot. So don't worry too much about RS :cool:

I would assume pyro would be strongest with Power tech mostly because power tech gains additional elemental damage in the form of flame sweep and flame burst which is improved by the talents in pryo.

though this means you'll be in melee range more than a merc spec which is mostly ranged

also the shield and advance prototype trees do improve your rail shot and fire abilities (assuming that the combustion gas cylinder proc is considered fire attack) which mean it boost your damage

but as an merc pyrotech you got the ranged advantage and thats about it :p

This guy may be spot on, I recently re-speced from Shield Spec to Pyro PT. And zmog very nice dmg. Free railshots up the wazoo! and the proc een makes your toon laugh manically each time. The 2 tthings I was disaapointed with are 1) PT Pyro is more about railshot then it is thermal detonator. and 2) you are MELEE DPS and have very limited range, as in all the good stuff is 10m or less.

I recently rerolled my 35 Arsenal Merc to a Pyro PT and OMG the mobility and burst is amazing. I almost didn't want to reply to this thread for fear that when people learn just how good PT's are they'll get hit with the nerf bat.

One thing I will say is its very rough before lvl 27 (when you get the 3 points to reset railshot on rocketpunch and flame burst). Not terrible, but the teens would make a lot of people quit, it's a bit of a late bloomer. But now at 28, I'm topping charts for damage, kills and protection (unless a full specc'd tank is in the WZ). And grapple is so much fun in Huttball.

I typically start the match in tank stance and throw guard on a melee. Follow him and play tank until I die, then switch over to DPS the rest of the match. This nets me my 3 protection medals and I just use taunt the rest of the time.

As for being "melee", I honestly find the range capabilities really nice. I'll open at a distance with Incendiary Missile, Railshot, and missle (can't recall the name). Then, if it's a big dog pile I'll avoid going in and getting AOE'd. Instead, I'll either pull someone out of it and DPS them or I target a ranged player at the back.

I'm full Pyro and the survivability is still better than my 42 sorc (he's good at running away though) and my Merc. I'm sure the Parakeet spec is tougher but the burst/DPS of pyro is just too good. Overall, I find PT way more fun in PVP than my Merc or Sorc.

I recently rerolled my 35 Arsenal Merc to a Pyro PT and OMG the mobility and burst is amazing. I almost didn't want to reply to this thread for fear that when people learn just how good PT's are they'll get hit with the nerf bat.

One thing I will say is its very rough before lvl 27 (when you get the 3 points to reset railshot on rocketpunch and flame burst). Not terrible, but the teens would make a lot of people quit, it's a bit of a late bloomer. But now at 28, I'm topping charts for damage, kills and protection (unless a full specc'd tank is in the WZ). And grapple is so much fun in Huttball.

I typically start the match in tank stance and throw guard on a melee. Follow him and play tank until I die, then switch over to DPS the rest of the match. This nets me my 3 protection medals and I just use taunt the rest of the time.

As for being "melee", I honestly find the range capabilities really nice. I'll open at a distance with Incendiary Missile, Railshot, and missle (can't recall the name). Then, if it's a big dog pile I'll avoid going in and getting AOE'd. Instead, I'll either pull someone out of it and DPS them or I target a ranged player at the back.

I'm full Pyro and the survivability is still better than my 42 sorc (he's good at running away though) and my Merc. I'm sure the Parakeet spec is tougher but the burst/DPS of pyro is just too good. Overall, I find PT way more fun in PVP than my Merc or Sorc.

Flame burst is 10m Rocket Punch is 4m. If your not using those to get as many free railshots as possible you are gimping yourself. Like I said downside is milited range, you can open with incendiary, TD, and Railshot but then you need to be right on the target for your FB and RP. Running in and out is not a smart choice therefore your best of to stay within 4m, hence melee range.

Also biggest tip I could suggest while leveling is FLAMETHROWER! If you run with Gault and line up the groups you come across. Your flamethrower + Gaults cone attack will pretty much 2 shot any group. Even without Gault it is very beneficial to line up 3 or more mobs.

Edited by WutsInAName

Flame burst is 10m Rocket Punch is 4m. If your not using those to get as many free railshots as possible you are gimping yourself. Like I said downside is milited range, you can open with incendiary, TD, and Railshot but then you need to be right on the target for your FB and RP. Running in and out is not a smart choice therefore your best of to stay within 4m, hence melee range.

I can see how you may misinterpret what I said, but let me state that I do get in range. My point was just that if you can't get in range, you have decent options. I avoid going head long into a dog pile at a Voidstar door as range will tear you apart in there. Instead I play the back field (in melee range) or I use my range abilities on the people piled at the door.

I certain agree that you need to be in melee to do your full burst, no denying that.

My point about low level being rough was with regards to PVP. You don't have grapple, heat is an issue, and you have limited abilities (I found myself sitting there with everything on cooldown a lot). Again, this is in PVP. In Pve I had 0 issues leveling.

Edited by Ruark

My point about low level being rough was with regards to PVP. You don't have grapple, heat is an issue, and you have limited abilities (I found myself sitting there with everything on cooldown a lot). Again, this is in PVP. In Pve I had 0 issues leveling.

ah yes, lots of ducking in and out in PVP, agreed. I must have missed that. I hate voidstar too for the whole dogpile mentality. And yep I go down fast to once I get focused by more than one player.

It is however nice when an opposing lightsaber 'leaps' at your and you smile thinking .. 'yup thats just where I wanted you thanks....uppercut!'

Railshot on a PyroMerc can top 4.2k on crit hits.... and like PT, its second only to Thermal Det (which has max crits 4.6k-4.8k post surge nerf) .

Merc/Pyro fights at 100% efficiency at 30m range and has Significantly higher AOE potential+heals/debuff removal ..its Better vs ranged attackers, slightly worse vs Melee (but you use snares/knockbacks to mitigate this and dictate range as best you can).

PT Pyro is most effective at 4-10m range, loses a lot of effectiveness outside 10m.. it has a little more CC/Utility and better armor pierce on its railshot... it benefits more in MELEE. Its better vs melee than merc, but worse vs ranged(who should CC/kite and keep out of melee if they arent bads)

I average over 300k/match with my Merc/Pyro... 400k isnt unusual, have done over 500k since 1.1.3, its just untrue to say merc is not good as PT using pyro

Pyro does fly under the radar simply because its got a skillcap to play.. and people are too busy raging about tracer missile and grav round to realise its actually a pretty bad PVP spec compared to pyro...

Comparing Pyro PT vs Pyro Merc is like comparing Ferrari to Lamborghini.. both have aspects which are drool worthy.

Edited by blackadda