The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How to be a 1st rate endgame (group) PVE tank...

vonklaun

50% shield rate, 50% absorption

What gear do you use?

I got about 75% of all datacrons (including +10) and am fully geared tier 2 supercommando and full in the shield tech tree. With a stim I am at 23k+ HP, but the shield chances and defense are not even close to what you mention here and I would say the supercommando columni, with rakata bracers and a rakate belt should be pretty much top notch.

Getting 50/50% proc/absorb rate is easy. I've been 50 for just over a week and I'm siting on 47/45% right now. Granted, my hp is still a bit low at 15.5k and armor mitigation at only 12%. but I don't have that much fancy gear.

Most of my stuff is corellia rewards with few shield rate defense mods of descent quality

Tenacity / Prolyfic,

Thanks heaps for your posts as it added a lot of insight to tanking in PVE. I have only hit 50 recently, and I have decent gear (in my opinion). Here are my current stats, unbuffed (without using Bioanalysis Rakata defense/end stim):

Armor Rating: 7259

Damage Reduction: 49.20

Shield Chance: 43.13

Absorbtion: 33.73%

How are you guys getting to 52/50/50, or even 5X/5X/5X in Columi gear? Is it all supercommando gear? What implants should I be going for? (Rakata implants are super expensive on my server, so what's a good mid-tier to buy?)

Can't quite find gear with Shield / Absorb (except weighted mod). Also, is it better to use the lvl 49 crafted implant over Rakata / Columi Supercommando? I find most gear loaded with defense / accuracy instead of shield/absorb.

Any help is much appreciated!

cheers,

Zodi

Gear:

I'm using the following (leaving Aim/Endurance out for easy viewing):

Ear: Tempest Galactic Combat Module (llvl 49 epic) - 40 shield / 27 accuracy / 40 crit / 20 def

Implant 1: Veracity Implant - Def / shield (with +28 absorb augment)

Implant 2: Veracity Implant - def / shield (no augment slot)

Bracers: Columi Supercommando Bracers

Weapon: Champion Eliminator Pistol

Off-hand: Centurian Supercommando Shield Generator

Helm: Tionese Supercommando Helm (Weighted Mod 23B / Vigilant enh 22)

Chest: Centurian Supercommando Chest (has accuracy enhancement, but all our other vendor chests have the same)

Gloves: Rakata Supercommando Gloves (Weighted Mod 25B / Vigilant enh 22)

Waist: Columi Supercommando Belt

Legs: Tionese Supercommando legs (Weighted Mod 24B / Steadfast enh 23 - shield, def)

Boots: Columi Supercommando boots (have default weighted mod + accuracy enhancement) - will replace enhancement in here soon.

Edit: Changed a few implants - now using Veracity ones with Aim/End/Shield/Def

Edited by TheFunnyGuide

Tenacity / Prolyfic,

Thanks heaps for your posts as it added a lot of insight to tanking in PVE. I have only hit 50 recently, and I have decent gear (in my opinion). Here are my current stats, unbuffed (without using Bioanalysis Rakata defense/end stim):

Armor Rating: 7259

Damage Reduction: 49.20

Shield Chance: 43.13

Absorbtion: 33.73%

How are you guys getting to 52/50/50, or even 5X/5X/5X in Columi gear? Is it all supercommando gear? What implants should I be going for? (Rakata implants are super expensive on my server, so what's a good mid-tier to buy?)

Can't quite find gear with Shield / Absorb (except weighted mod). Also, is it better to use the lvl 49 crafted implant over Rakata / Columi Supercommando? I find most gear loaded with defense / accuracy instead of shield/absorb.

Any help is much appreciated!

cheers,

Zodi

Gear:

I'm using the following (leaving Aim/Endurance out for easy viewing):

Ear: Tempest Galactic Combat Module (llvl 49 epic) - 40 shield / 27 accuracy / 40 crit / 20 def

Implant 1: Veracity Implant - Def / shield (with +28 absorb augment)

Implant 2: Veracity Implant - def / shield (no augment slot)

Bracers: Columi Supercommando Bracers

Weapon: Champion Eliminator Pistol

Off-hand: Centurian Supercommando Shield Generator

Helm: Tionese Supercommando Helm (Weighted Mod 23B / Vigilant enh 22)

Chest: Centurian Supercommando Chest (has accuracy enhancement, but all our other vendor chests have the same)

Gloves: Rakata Supercommando Gloves (Weighted Mod 25B / Vigilant enh 22)

Waist: Columi Supercommando Belt

Legs: Tionese Supercommando legs (Weighted Mod 24B / Steadfast enh 23 - shield, def)

Boots: Columi Supercommando boots (have default weighted mod + accuracy enhancement) - will replace enhancement in here soon.

Edit: Changed a few implants - now using Veracity ones with Aim/End/Shield/Def

Change out your earpiece for the Columi (can by bought)

Veracity Implants are solid, especially with augment slot. Rakata Implants offer more

Shield/End/Aim at the cost of losing some Defense. Doing Daily Missions will get you these, they cost 120 Daily Commendations.

For the rest of your gear the norm is to replace certain mods/enhancements with the rewards from some of the Heroic Daily missions. Which offer Absorb and Shield in place of Acc/Def. You will be losing some end/aim though.

Here is a guide to doing Daily missions....

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=261530

Change out your earpiece for the Columi (can by bought)

Veracity Implants are solid, especially with augment slot. Rakata Implants offer more

Shield/End/Aim at the cost of losing some Defense. Doing Daily Missions will get you these, they cost 120 Daily Commendations.

For the rest of your gear the norm is to replace certain mods/enhancements with the rewards from some of the Heroic Daily missions. Which offer Absorb and Shield in place of Acc/Def. You will be losing some end/aim though.

Here is a guide to doing Daily missions....

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=261530

I went over the guide, and yes, I'm working on the Rakata Implants as of now - but even so, those are not with Shield/Absorb if memory serves right.

Just another few general question(s):

1. Is it better to use an orange set with all mods, or go for the supercommando 4-pc bonus? As per the guide, it says orange set, but I'm thinking that's for entry level players?

2. What's this 'Glance' rating that I keep seeing on Torhead?

Edit: Glance Rating is Shield Rating as I have gone to learn now. Sorry for not reading before posting.

3. Is it possible to make variations on the Columi implants? I've not seen any varied Supercommando implants on the GTM yet.

Also, most of my gear already has the Accuracy mods removed and replaced with the daily commendations mods/enhancements. Still, I can't get to even the 40% absorb rating that most people here seem to claim. :(

I'll do another check later today and see what my stats are at now after getting the supercommando chest yesterday.

Edited by TheFunnyGuide

I went over the guide, and yes, I'm working on the Rakata Implants as of now - but even so, those are not with Shield/Absorb if memory serves right.

Just another few general question(s):

1. Is it better to use an orange set with all mods, or go for the supercommando 4-pc bonus? As per the guide, it says orange set, but I'm thinking that's for entry level players?

2. What's this 'Glance' rating that I keep seeing on Torhead?

Edit: Glance Rating is Shield Rating as I have gone to learn now. Sorry for not reading before posting.

3. Is it possible to make variations on the Columi implants? I've not seen any varied Supercommando implants on the GTM yet.

Also, most of my gear already has the Accuracy mods removed and replaced with the daily commendations mods/enhancements. Still, I can't get to even the 40% absorb rating that most people here seem to claim. :(

I'll do another check later today and see what my stats are at now after getting the supercommando chest yesterday.

If you can get two Veracity Implants with the Augment slot, they will be better as far as absorbs goes yes. Rakata just offers slightly higher Shield, Aim and End. I think its a personal preference. You can get a Veracity Columi Supercommando Implant with added Shield and Augment slot.

http://www.torhead.com/item/2QpQsro/columi-supercommandos-implant

http://www.torhead.com/item/6lETHys/rakata-supercommandos-implant

Yes you want to trade out your Orange Pieces for the Supercommando pieces. They offer more Aim, End, Armor and some of the mods/enhancements will be better than the dailies.

I am at...

Full Columi armor, Off-hand and Earpiece

1 Rakata Implant, 1 Veracity w/o augment

Sitting at around 52% Damage Reduction

45% Shield, 43% Absorb and like 12.5% Defense Chance

Missing a tiered main hand still. Also don't forget that higher level mods/enhancements drop off of bosses on Hardmode Ops. Which you can use to replace the level 50 dailies you are using.

Edited by midnitemonster