Slicing still profitable?

Lightmaguz

I think so, yes. I just hit 50 a couple of nights ago and have been finishing up Corellia (sp). Between slicing what credit boxes are out in the open, and sending 4-5 companions on level 41-48 I have made a ton of credits. The real money I have found is from the purple missions that I get. I have probably gotten 28-30 of them in the last 4 days. While I only make a 20% profit on the actual credit case, I make a huge profit on the purple missions. The 4 slicing ones have sold for 75k credits each, and the others sell from 15-35k. Easy bank!

Definitely, especially with high companion affection.

If you have high companion affection, and you run the grade 5 rich missions, then you're going to see crits that can return blue lockboxes in the 4-8k range. Even though you're going to see a lot of net losses, with returns below what the mission cost, the crits make up for it.

Lockboxes are secondary, however. I don't even look when I open them anymore, unless they're blue. The real reason to run Slicing constantly is the unlocked mission items you can get with a critical. Depends on your server, but the level 340 ones all sell for a nice profit (except Investigation). A couple of them list in the 25k+ range.

It's even better if you can use them. From a level 340 Underground Trading mission unlock, I usually get about 50k worth of materials. The more mission skills you have on your alts, the more Slicing pays off.

That's not to mention how nice of a gathering skill it is. The lockboxes you find in the wild aren't usually all that much, but on some planets they can add up fast. I often end up with a full inventory before I know it. Just doing daily quests at level 50, I can usually pick up an extra 10-20k from grabbing all the lockboxes I come across. Of course, I open my map constantly, and keep "resources" checked, so that's probably more than some other people end up with.