The game is on sale!

jimmyquinella

It did start strong. No doubt about that. However, recent sales leave much to be desired. When you cannot even sell 7,000 boxes in a week this close after launch then where is the sub growth going to come from? I am not very confident that at this rate we are going to see any growth. If anything with these sales numbers subs are going to shrink.

where are you seeing this 7k number?

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/Global/

shows almost 30k which actually beat every 8 week number for every release of WoW there's been...

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/38102/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm/Global/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/13834/world-of-warcraft-wrath-of-the-lich-king/Global/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7591/world-of-warcraft-the-burning-crusade/Global/

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300k of 10 million is a lower percetange than 300k or 2 million.

WOW = roughly 3%

SWTOR roughly 15%

BTW so you know the higher percentage in this case is bad not good.

and who is saying that WoW losing 300k is a bad thing?

15% retention rate is amazing and unheard of for a new MMO.

WoW is in no way dying and neither is SWTOR. I can also guarentee come march you are going to see a large surge in subs. What to know how I know? March is the official Oceanic release of the game. Smart move by EA on holding that off till 3 months.

Are all game cards 60-days? Never used them so don't know. If so, everyone on a game card at launch would have had to be considered an active subscriber for the first two months, even if they cancelled, right?

Yes from what I've seen they're two month time cards.

Yes from the investor call they were counting 'active' meaning even if you quit you still have time remaining. So if you used a game time card you're considered active for a couple of months.

Edited by Meluna

Are all game cards 60-days? Never used them so don't know. If so, everyone on a game card at launch would have had to be considered an active subscriber for the first two months, even if they cancelled, right?

Theres a reason why developers never proclaim any numbers until after the initial 6 month "settling in" period is up.

USA First Ten Weeks (Units)

Week Ending Week Weekly Change Total

24th December 2011 1 810,019 N/A 810,019

31st December 2011 2 139,752 -82.7% 949,771

07th January 2012 3 42,251 -69.8% 992,022

14th January 2012 4 20,465 -51.6% 1,012,487

21st January 2012 5 17,045 -16.7% 1,029,532

28th January 2012 6 13,645 -19.9% 1,043,177

04th February 2012 7 7,988 -41.5% 1,051,165

11th February 2012 8 6,187 -22.5% 1,057,352

Right there. US numbers, not global. Also, Warcraft numbers are not reliable on vgchartz. if you you look at older data it is pretty messed up. They have gotten much better in their estimates.

EDIT: For example, Cataclysm sold over 3.3 million in the first 24 hours of launch. Vgchartz has no where need that number. Compare SWTOR actual sales as released by EA at earnings calls to vgchartz estimates and they are very close.

Edited by PjPablo

USA First Ten Weeks (Units)

Week Ending Week Weekly Change Total

24th December 2011 1 810,019 N/A 810,019

31st December 2011 2 139,752 -82.7% 949,771

07th January 2012 3 42,251 -69.8% 992,022

14th January 2012 4 20,465 -51.6% 1,012,487

21st January 2012 5 17,045 -16.7% 1,029,532

28th January 2012 6 13,645 -19.9% 1,043,177

04th February 2012 7 7,988 -41.5% 1,051,165

11th February 2012 8 6,187 -22.5% 1,057,352

Right there. US numbers, not global. Also, Warcraft numbers are not reliable on vgchartz. if you you look at older data it is pretty messed up. They have gotten much better in their estimates.

ahh, so you admit you're cherry picking numbers at least. funny, the 8 week NA numbers looks a LOT like Cata. wow is dead... haha

Edited by iceperson

Theres a reason why developers never proclaim any numbers until after the initial 6 month "settling in" period is up.

Yup agree. Here is the response during the call when asked about conversion. Note: I think there is a typo when he talks about over half being paid.

Brian J. Pitz - UBS Investment Bank, Research Division

Great. And just one really quick follow-up. Can you give us a sense for how many of those 1.7 million active subs we could expect to convert to paying subs after the initial free month? How should we kind of think about that?

Frank D. Gibeau

Yes, let me -- maybe what I can do is I'll define active subscribers for you, and then give you a little color on that. We're not going to be able to talk too deeply on conversion just because it's so early in the life of the product. We're only 10 days past our first month anniversary. But essentially, we're using the industry standard for active subscribers. If anyone paying a subscription or playing on an active prepaid timecard, and those who have registered to play are still in the trial subscription period. I can't tell you that the majority of the 1.7 million are paying subscribers for us currently, which is great considering we're only, like I said, 42 days into the launch, and you have a 30-day trial period. So a lot of people are voting that they want to be a part of the service and are engaged, which is great news.

ahh, so you admit you're cherry picking numbers at least. funny, the 8 week NA numbers looks a LOT like Cata. wow is dead... haha

How am I cherrying picking again? Both Global and US are awful numbers. If you look at my first post both tables are in there so please read before you start flinging accusations around. In other words, please don't get mad at me for the terrible sales figures.

How does 3.3 million sales in 24 hours look like this again?

EDIT: Just to add....WOW has lost more subs than TOR has. Think about that for a minute.

Edited by PjPablo

How am I cherrying picking again? Both Global and US are awful numbers. If you look at my first post both tables are in there so please read before you start flinging accusations around. In other words, please don't get mad at me for the terrible sales figures.

How does 3.3 million sales in 24 hours look like this again?

sales figures that look just like he latest release of the largest MMO ever aren't anything to worry about. you keep holding your breath for swtor to die, the rest of us will keep laughing at you when you post this drivel...

Boy people will over anylize everything. i dont know what the doomsayers are going to do if the game fails they wont have any forums to complain on lol. oh wait they will move to another games forums and rinse and repeat. lol what a competive grind you guys got going on there.

sales figures that look just like he latest release of the largest MMO ever aren't anything to worry about. you keep holding your breath for swtor to die, the rest of us will keep laughing at you when you post this drivel...

Fact = drivel now?

Let me give you another fact then. When WOW launched it had around 250k subs Day 1. Day 90-ish it had 1.5 million. Does this launch trend look anything like that?

Try harder.

Also, I don't want the game to fail. Would just make the purchase on a CE even more of a waste of money. That said, I look at these things objectively. If you think that 7,000 boxes in the US and 16,000 in EU is great, then why care what I have to say? All I am saying is that subs are not going to grow at the current level of sales, sales that haven't even bottomed out yet. And for that reason I am short EA stock ;)

Boy people will over anylize everything. i dont know what the doomsayers are going to do if the game fails they wont have any forums to complain on lol. oh wait they will move to another games forums and rinse and repeat. lol what a competive grind you guys got going on there.

Just think if we were not on the forums that means you would have to log into the game and play.

Lucky for you we are here still

coca cola has more than 3 time the market share of Dr. Pepper, oh noes, dr. pepper is dead!

If you can show me where I said TOR is dead I would appreciate it.

And since you have absolutely nothing to add to this conversation as far as fact I will leave you alone now. Not much of a fair debate it seems.

Just think if we were not on the forums that means you would have to log into the game and play.

Lucky for you we are here still

actually ive been playing the better part of the day. my wife just got home and were sitting here eatting so i figured id read the forums i guess i got my daily dose of humor.

And WoW has been around for seven years. This game has been around for two months and has weekly sales worse than WoW AFTER SEVEN YEARS.

All is well. . .

Cataclysm sold 5,100 copies in the US last week. TOR? 6,100. At least global looks better with Cataclysm selling only 12,000 to TOR's 28,000.

Yes I have and you get there about 2 hours early to get everything done so he shouldnt be posting for the next 4 hours right since he will be in at some time.

not if his flight is delayed or he is waiting on a connection. I've spent entire days at the airport. (thank you very much LAX) some airports are better then others.

I'm at work he's at an airport so what's your excuse for spending all day for the past few days on a forum for a game you no longer play and think is failing?