Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server population is dropping...

Miffy

Bull, dude. Why do people say stuff like this when it's verifiably untrue?

7pm PST there were a couple very heavy, a dozenish heavy, about the same light, the rest standard.

Europe had about 6 or 7 Heavy last night - rest were Standard and Light. (Yeah i know your on a US server...just giving an indication from a European point of view).

Light, Standard, Heavy, Very Heavy etc. isn't the best method for gauging the dropping population anyway.

As others have said BW can easily change the quota for what constitutes a Light server, or what constitutes a Heavy server.

I'm not saying they have already done that - but they can/have/could do it. So its not the best way of gauging a dropping population imo.

If you take a look at the various graphs that are floating around the evidence is irrefutable. Dropping pops.

Edited by Skarion

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7pm PST there were a couple very heavy, a dozenish heavy, about the same light, the rest standard.

and that's the thing.. People are coming here lying about stuff like this.. People then see it and assume that their is a massive drop in subs becuase people are saying this.

torstats will never show growth in activity. It will always be declining until a patch or new content is released.

In fact in order for tor stats to show an increase would take a massive amount of new players because it shows activity not subs and as people level to max level so their playtime decreases as they just log on to do dailies or raid.

At launch you for a massive amount of people playing.. For this activity not to decrease as more players hit max level would be an astounding success.

I don't know whether subs are growing or declining.. I know activity is decreasing which is what I would expect tbh

Edited by corbanite

When the game started there were 41 US servers that were heavy, and now you yourself confirm just a "couple" heavy now. The game doesn't even have 750K active players IMO. We'll find out next quarterly report.

When the game started there were 41 US servers that were heavy, and now you yourself confirm just a "couple" heavy now. The game doesn't even have 750K active players IMO. We'll find out next quarterly report.

They altered server capacity to ease queueing. People play less when they hit 50.. some people unsub. The amount of each is unknown.. You are assuming that all decrease in acitvity = lost subs.

They altered server capacity to ease queueing. People play less when they hit 50.. some people unsub. The amount of each is unknown.. You are assuming that all decrease in acitvity = lost subs.

This isn't my first rodeo in the MMO world. I've played them all at one point or another. This game is dying faster than any of them ever. You can try and dream and wish, and hope all you want. Its over man. The next quarterly report will bear this out. I'd stake money on it if it were legal to do so.

and that's the thing.. People are coming here lying about stuff like this.. People then see it and assume that their is a massive drop in subs becuase people are saying this.

I don't know whether subs are growing or declining.. I know activity is decreasing which is what I would expect tbh

This thread is about dropping POPULATION. Not subscriptions. Altho how many people will pay for a game they aint playing ;)

As you say activity is decreasing - lets be honest here. Its decreasing at an alarming rate.

This thread is about dropping POPULATION. Not subscriptions. Altho how many people will pay for a game they aint playing ;)

As you say activity is decreasing - lets be honest here. Its decreasing at an alarming rate.

yes activity is sdropping whether population is dropping I don't know.. I would definately like to see more things for lvl 50's to do to help increase activity

lord calypho

lol BS for a start..200 players at all times in fleet..sure it does.

Its 2pm GMT on a Saturday afternoon and Lord Calypho is currently sitting at Standard.

My current server is Red Eclipse and thats the ONLY heavy server in Europe as of 2PM GMT. How many in fleet? 113 on Imp side.

Lord Calypho is a special case anyway as its a RP-PVP.

Edit:

5 minutes later (2.05pm GMT) and Red Eclipse just went back to Standard so currently as of 2.05pm GMT all European servers are Standard/Light.

Now i know i just said in another post that Light, Standard/Heavy/Very Heavy wern't the best indicators...but jeez. If anyone at this point is questioning a server population drop, then i question your rationality.

2PM on a saturday...schools out, most people off work...should be a 'peak' time no?

Edited by Skarion

I said very heavy. If you stop & look, Canderous Ordo, Swiftsure, and Harbringer will be very heavy during prime time.

I'm on Ajunta Pall, which has about 150-200 people on Fleet during prime time & about 50-75 people in lowbie zones. It's always listed as heavy during prime time.

The guy I was quoting said that there wasn't a single heavy server at all last night, which is an outright lie.

The reason I know this is because I always check when I log on. I'm concerned about server pops too, but from my own experience, AP has not experienced any downturn at all & the population has been consistent over the last month.

Just something to consider, server population is dropping but sub numbers aren't. People are just waiting till the next patch arrives. They still like the game.

or maybe they paid for long term subs and their subs havent ran out.

I switched to using game cards after the cc billing issue, and those are good for two months.

and another thing some people forget to cancel subs or let them ride because $15 is no big deal, like the last 6 months of my wow sub I still payed for it, thinking I would play.However in the end I was playing less than 8-10 hours a month, that is when I realized it was a waste of money and I dropped the sub at the point.

Edited by Sith_Mauler

This isn't my first rodeo in the MMO world. I've played them all at one point or another. This game is dying faster than any of them ever. You can try and dream and wish, and hope all you want. Its over man. The next quarterly report will bear this out. I'd stake money on it if it were legal to do so.

It is. It is called the stock market. Short EA or buy some puts if you think it is this dire.

You should clean up if you are correct.

Its 2pm GMT on a Saturday afternoon and Lord Calypho is currently sitting at Standard.

My current server is Red Eclipse and thats the ONLY heavy server in Europe as of 2PM GMT. How many in fleet? 113 on Imp side.

Edit:

5 minutes later (2.05pm GMT) and Red Eclipse just went back to Standard so currently as of 2.05pm GMT all European servers are Standard/Light.

Now i know i just said in another post that Light, Standard/Heavy/Very Heavy wern't the best indicators...but jeez. If anyone at this point is questioning a server population drop, then i question your rationality.

2PM on a saturday...schools out, most people off work...should be a 'peak' time no?

No. I would think at the start of spring on the weekend, the middle of Saturday is not a "peak" time. I would expect more people to be on later tonight than now.

Edit:

Agree.

My server, The Progenitor, 68 in Imperial Fleet and 15 in Ilum and its classed as "standard" :confused:

Edited by Beachcomberb

No. I would think at the start of spring on the weekend, the middle of Saturday is not a "peak" time. I would expect more people to be on later tonight than now.

Orly ?

2pm GMT not a peak time for a European server on a Saturday? (thats 3pm CET btw) I think many would say thats peak but ok...read on..

How about 4:55PM GMT instead? (thats ~6PM CET)

Currently ONLY 1 Heavy European server (Tomb of Freedon Nadd)

My current server Red Eclipse 'Standard' and 116 on Imp Fleet. This was a sever that just after launch was hours wait to get on..

You gunna argue 5PM isnt a peak time to?

By all means debate but lets not deny the obvious.

Edit: I agree there probably will be a lot more on later tonight (7,8 or 9 pm+ GMT) but the purpose of this thread is to establish whether the server populations are dropping. I dont think anyone can deny they are now. Until BW/EA come forward and comment on this thread or a dev blog about it or whatever, we will be left to speculate...and thats NEVER a good thing.

Edited by Skarion

Agree.

My server, The Progenitor, 68 in Imperial Fleet and 15 in Ilum and its classed as "standard" :confused:

It's not about how many are on Fleet or Ilum, it's about the total population of the server. ;)

As the players settle into their normal play routines, they spend less time fingering their navel in Fleet and actually going out and playing the game on the many different planets.

As for Ilum, most people just don't play there because they feel it is either broken or faction imbalance destroys it for them.

Edited by Andryah

I don't know about the EU servers, but last night the NA servers were notably higher activity then a week ago, same day and time (Friday).

11:00 PM Eastern Time:

1 Full Server (Harbinger, which is interesting since people have been saying it's been gutted by the AP servers opening up)

2 Very Heavy Servers

10 Heavy Servers

11 Light Servers (that's the lowest count of Light servers I have seen since launch)

The rest were Standard.

My two servers were both Standard last night and they both had a lot of activity on them on the Imperial side (and both are pretty well faction balanced).

Also, two of the AU Servers were Very Heavy at the same time. The only server there not filling up is the RP server.

Edited by Andryah

Alot of the the Euro servers are in a bad way. Since launch i've had to re-roll to 2 different servers simply because those servers became ghost towns. (Both were heavy around a month ago)

As of right now, there are 4 servers that are heavy. The rest are standard & light. That's 19:44 GMT on a saturday evening.

Edited by SnakeBites

Why do people base an assumption that server population is low on the number of players sitting at the Fleet? I (and others in my guild) almost never go to the Fleet - we are too busy out in the galaxy, rescuing it! Plus the lag is terrible on the Fleet - it's painful trying to move around it.

Perhaps what they are trying to say is "Flashpoint/Ops/PUG-players-at-level-50 populations are low on this server". Would that be more accurate?