Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Help me understand Orange gear vs. blue/green gear with slots

Mashugana

What is the difference between orange gear and blue or green gear with slots? I like the look of some of the green/blue items better than the orange items. If they take slots for modification, can I just keep upgrading them all the way to 50 like orange armor? Or am I missing something simple?

Orange gear has no intrinsic stats. All stats come from the mods in the slots. This makes orange gear unique to SWTOR. In other MMOs, you might have to get rid of an item you liked the looks of because you outlevel it. Not true with Orange gear. You can keep upgrading it all the way to lvl 50. You may be able to upgrade a non-orange piece to get it as good as an orange piece, but there will be some value on it you cannot change. You also can change all the stats on orange items so it can be used by any class (unless it is specifically restricted in the tool tip by armor type, class, or alignment)

The same is not true for Green, Blue, and Purple,. They might have some slots but they also have some hard coded values that cannot be changed. Orange gear is all slot based, the other isn't. BTW All critically crafted items will have an additional slot for augments.

I suggest you read the Re-engineering stickie. It gives a very good description of gear, what the colors mean, and what all the prefixes and suffixes mean.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=258426

Edited by Owsley

Orange gear is upgradable as you level. Everything else is a waste of time. Because you will eventualy out grow the stats of the gear even those epic purples with 2 slots for armor and mods in them as the item has a base fixed stats. Ontop of that they are hard to make or buy and allways results being a pain the butt for either way to get them.

Green gear is the basics as blue will be their better versions following the purples.

From green to purple versions of the same item will be an extra stat along with some original stats being boosted slightly. This is from crafting. When you craft you have a chance to create an exceptional version with an open slot for augment.

If you do things right with orange gear your toon will have the highest stats you can get with the gear as you level and will more then likly never find other items worth being an upgrade until you hit 50 and start getting tier gears.

Companions, except the first, seem to have fully modable green weapons.
That's true. These will work just like orange gear. There is no difference. You can add and replace mods for them. The upgrades in such items will determine how good the items are and you will be able to add better upgrades.

Note that Armorings (for armor), Barrells (for ranged weapons) and Hilts (lightsabers, etc.) in the item will determine the level and respective rating of it.

They likely just forgot to upgrade the color coding on these items. I do understand how this can be confusing, especially to new players, however.

In some beta builds, all upgrade slots on all green, blue, orange, purple, etc. items were open and fully customizable. Now many are closed. Apparently, all gear has slots. Various types just don't have them hidden, which means one can't exchange their modifications.

On a side note, I wish they Bioware would open up all the slots on all items in order for us to be able to choose gear by appearance or at least create an orange version of every gear in the game.

Edited by Glzmo

On a side note, I wish they Bioware would open up all the slots on all items in order for us to be able to choose gear by appearance or at least create an orange version of every gear in the game.

Wasn't there a Producers Letter or something like that recently that said they were going to open all slots back up in an upcoming Update? I did a fast cursory search and failed to find the source but I could swear I remember reading about it.

Wasn't there a Producers Letter or something like that recently that said they were going to open all slots back up in an upcoming Update? I did a fast cursory search and failed to find the source but I could swear I remember reading about it.

No.

What they are doing is making level 50 purples that currently have their hilt/armoring/barrel mod baked in be removable. So a Columni chest piece currently does not have a modifiable armoring mod. The change will make it so that the armoring mod slot will appear -- allowing a player to remove endgame mods (including armoring/barrel/hilt) from items and put them into orange gear to customize their look.

The limitation on this is that pieces will be type-locked. So armoring from a chest piece will only be useable in another chest piece. This only applies to those endgame purple items from pvp, operations, heroic mods, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. That is exactly what I remember reading, just couldn't put all the details together. My highest character is only 28 so my experience in this game is very limited. If I read about something I haven't really run into yet then it doesn't always stick in detail. heh

Thanks for the clarification. That is exactly what I remember reading, just couldn't put all the details together. My highest character is only 28 so my experience in this game is very limited. If I read about something I haven't really run into yet then it doesn't always stick in detail. heh

I know how that goes. Without context it's hard to really build new meaning when dealing with terms and ideas that are fairly abstract.

That's true. These will work just like orange gear. There is no difference. You can add and replace mods for them. The upgrades in such items will determine how good the items are and you will be able to add better upgrades.

Note that Armorings (for armor), Barrells (for ranged weapons) and Hilts (lightsabers, etc.) in the item will determine the level and respective rating of it.

Are we sure and certain that the same "key" mod in a green moddable item gives as much armour/damage as it would in an orange (equivalent to blue) item? I've not done the experiment; maybe I will if no one else has and I can be bothered, next time I'm in-game.

Are we sure and certain that the same "key" mod in a green moddable item gives as much armour/damage as it would in an orange (equivalent to blue) item? I've not done the experiment; maybe I will if no one else has and I can be bothered, next time I'm in-game.

I would pretty much bet money on it working in exactly the same way and providing the same numbers. Back in August or so in beta, all items were essentially fully moddable (or close to it). Prior to launch, they changed it and added in custom gear that is fully moddable (this was done to prevent players from gearing up too easily). My guess is that the companion items were simply not flagged properly in the new system to display them as custom gear (orange). Since they are limited to only be equipped on the companions, it ultimately is not a very big deal.

• 2 weeks later...
I would pretty much bet money on it working in exactly the same way and providing the same numbers. Back in August or so in beta, all items were essentially fully moddable (or close to it). Prior to launch, they changed it and added in custom gear that is fully moddable (this was done to prevent players from gearing up too easily). My guess is that the companion items were simply not flagged properly in the new system to display them as custom gear (orange). Since they are limited to only be equipped on the companions, it ultimately is not a very big deal.

I just tested this on my alt. She had the Coil Cell Needler (orange) and then Corso gave her the gun Sparkles, which is a green fully customizable. Both had same exact damage after I took the mods out so I don't see any different. It seems like a good guess that they just forgot to change all fully moddable items to orange :) For sentimental reasons, I'm glad I can keep using it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.