can someone explain Psychic Projection?

tintin_milou

Hi, I am not sure what about the precise meaning in the description for Psychic Projection - "... causing your next Telekinetic Throw to channel and tick twice as fast..."

First what does having TK Throw channel mean?

And what is the advantage of having TK Throw to tick twice as fast? Isn't the damage caused by TK throw the same whether it ticks slow or fast?

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Well first, you are misreading the description.

It does not cause TK throw to channel.

TK throw is already a channeled ability, which means that it deals damage while casting, and not after the cast is finished.

It causes the ability to channel and tick twice as fast, cutting the channel time from 3 seconds, to 1.5 seconds.

So, if your TK throw ticks four times, for 500 damage per tick, you are going to deal 2000 damage in 3 seconds.

When psychic projection is enabled, you will still tick four times, for 500 damage per tick, but since it's ticking twice as fast, you will deal 2000 damage in 1.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds, which essentially doubles your DPS.

The other important thing to note is that when you see Psychic Projection proc, you can actually get TWO double-speed TK throws if you spam the button quickly. That means double the damage in the same amount of time as one normal TK throw. It is the most damaging ability you have. Keep your eye on your ability bar, and when you see that proc go up, start tapping your TK throw hotkey like mad.

Not really. If you are using the hybrid build that gives you Psychic Projection and Presence of Mind, you want to watch for both of those procs. Usually, you will get a PoM proc on the back of Psychic Projection, which makes for nasty amounts of damage when you cast that instant-buffed version of Mind Crush or TK Wave.

Hi, luckily I already put two skill points in Psychic Projection so Weaken Mind always proc Psychic Projection. Since I am only Level 33 - my usual repertoire against one enemy has been starting with Mind Crush (since this takes incredibly long so I do this before the bum notices), then immediately Weaken Mind and then TK Throw. Now that I know this trick, I will do something else next and then back to TK Throw for the fast click.

As I understand it, Presence of Mind is not 100% so I need to actually look above the bar to see if POM procs or not right? In any case, when I do have both POM (not 100% proc) along with my PP (100% proc) acquired. What is a good combination to incorporate both PP and POM with TK Throw, and other kinds of spells? Thanks for your help!

The other important thing to note is that when you see Psychic Projection proc, you can actually get TWO double-speed TK throws if you spam the button quickly. That means double the damage in the same amount of time as one normal TK throw. It is the most damaging ability you have. Keep your eye on your ability bar, and when you see that proc go up, start tapping your TK throw hotkey like mad.

It is a bug and therefore I would not bother trying to use this explit as it won't last very long.

Hi, luckily I already put two skill points in Psychic Projection so Weaken Mind always proc Psychic Projection. Since I am only Level 33 - my usual repertoire against one enemy has been starting with Mind Crush (since this takes incredibly long so I do this before the bum notices), then immediately Weaken Mind and then TK Throw. Now that I know this trick, I will do something else next and then back to TK Throw for the fast click.

As I understand it, Presence of Mind is not 100% so I need to actually look above the bar to see if POM procs or not right? In any case, when I do have both POM (not 100% proc) along with my PP (100% proc) acquired. What is a good combination to incorporate both PP and POM with TK Throw, and other kinds of spells? Thanks for your help!

Psychic Projection is not a 100 percent proc. With two points, it procs every time Weaken Mind critical hits. Your critical chance is probably in the 25-30 percent range depending on your gear, so you get a 25-30 percent chance to get a Psychic Projection proc each time Weaken Mind does a tick of damage.

Presence of Mind procs are similar. You get a 30 percent chance of a PoM proc every time TK throw does damage, so 30 percent chance on each tick. Usually about every other TK throw gives you a PoM proc.

Ha OK thanks. I read all the text and must have skipped over the "... critically hit" part. Thanks for pointing that out to me. NO wonder I don't usually notice anything different using TK Throw after Weaken Mind.

OH well, back to the drawing board I guess.

Here is an off the topic question. I plan to progress via the "Hybrid" Skill development that so many are touting nowadays (some TK & Balance mix). Since there are probably quite a few "Hybrids" variations, is Tidal Force a popular choice among them? Thanks again!

Ha OK thanks. I read all the text and must have skipped over the "... critically hit" part. Thanks for pointing that out to me. NO wonder I don't usually notice anything different using TK Throw after Weaken Mind.

OH well, back to the drawing board I guess.

Here is an off the topic question. I plan to progress via the "Hybrid" Skill development that so many are touting nowadays (some TK & Balance mix). Since there are probably quite a few "Hybrids" variations, is Tidal Force a popular choice among them? Thanks again!

Yeah, you will see a proc for Psychic Projection above your ability bar. It's a yellow square with a hand in front of it. Doesn't last nearly as long as Presence of Mind, though.

I don't know many people using a hybrid spec who take Tidal Force. It's inferior in every way to Presence of Mind. Both give you instant-cast TK waves, but PoM procs more often, can also be used on Mind Crush, buffs the damage of your instant-casts and is proc'd from TK Throw rather than distrurbance. TK Throw is a more damaging spell, plus it plays really well with the Psychic Projection procs. Disturbance is a useless spell with a hybrid build.

The general agreement seems to be that the 0/13/28 build does the most damage, but some people find they run low on force in certain long hardmode flashpoint and ops fights. I've never had this problem. This is the build I use.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600ZfzMMdZcMfRsMkrc.1

If you have force management problems and find your force pool running low, you can do a 0/17/24 build that gives you Telekinetic Effusion. You should never run out of force with TK Effusion. This is what a variation of that build looks like.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600Zfcr0d0MZcMfRsMkd.1

Yeah, you will see a proc for Psychic Projection above your ability bar. It's a yellow square with a hand in front of it. Doesn't last nearly as long as Presence of Mind, though.

I don't know many people using a hybrid spec who take Tidal Force. It's inferior in every way to Presence of Mind. Both give you instant-cast TK waves, but PoM procs more often, can also be used on Mind Crush, buffs the damage of your instant-casts and is proc'd from TK Throw rather than distrurbance. TK Throw is a more damaging spell, plus it plays really well with the Psychic Projection procs. Disturbance is a useless spell with a hybrid build.

The general agreement seems to be that the 0/13/28 build does the most damage, but some people find they run low on force in certain long hardmode flashpoint and ops fights. I've never had this problem. This is the build I use.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600ZfzMMdZcMfRsMkrc.1

If you have force management problems and find your force pool running low, you can do a 0/17/24 build that gives you Telekinetic Effusion. You should never run out of force with TK Effusion. This is what a variation of that build looks like.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600Zfcr0d0MZcMfRsMkd.1

And people that prefer effortless sustainability (ie more damage all the time because you aren't gasping for breath) do variations on 21/22TK (23 stops momentum procs altogether) and 18-20 in Balance.

I personally don't feel I can play without Effusion and TK collapse. Because I end up drawing a LOT of attention from shielding others and stunning folks fighting them, and doing sick amounts of damage all the while.

It takes a VERY long and very difficult fight to run me out of resources, whether it's health or force.

I personally find having 1 point in Psychic Projection is sufficient enough as it can only proc once every 10s. If you throw weaken mind on multiple targets, even though the proc rate is only 50% on critical hits, I still find myself getting the proc fairly often. I'm running around 35% crit with buffs.

If you're running a 0/13/28 spec, I think it's better to use that point on Force Wake instead.

Edited by Gunchoz

And people that prefer effortless sustainability (ie more damage all the time because you aren't gasping for breath) do variations on 21/22TK (23 stops momentum procs altogether) and 18-20 in Balance.

I personally don't feel I can play without Effusion and TK collapse. Because I end up drawing a LOT of attention from shielding others and stunning folks fighting them, and doing sick amounts of damage all the while.

It takes a VERY long and very difficult fight to run me out of resources, whether it's health or force.

TK collapse is worthless for PvE, which is what he wanted advice about. And I can't imagine needing more than 17 in TK for sustainability. If you are running out of force in PvE with TK effusion, you are really doing something wrong.

I personally find having 1 point in Psychic Projection is sufficient enough as it can only proc once every 10s. If you throw weaken mind on multiple targets, even though the proc rate is only 50% on critical hits, I still find myself getting the proc fairly often. I'm running around 35% crit with buffs.

If you're running a 0/13/28 spec, I think it's better to use that point on Force Wake instead.

Again, he is talking about PvE, not PvP, and I can't imagine why you would spec a point away from your most damaging ability.

OK. That sounds interesting. With Enhancement mods, I could add to Power, Crit, and other things. Up to now (LvL 35 yay), I have chosen Power because it applies to, well, almost all situations and does not depend on chance like Crit. In any case, as I acquire more skills that require crit to activate, then I should replace Power Enhancement with Crit Enhancement, right? I guess this game is designed to be not so easy that I could have both Power and Crit.

Right now under my character sheet, my crit is listed around 10%. Besides using mods, what other ways are there to buff crit? Using skill-trees for spell-specific buffs?

In a hybrid build, your only ability that really relies on crit is Psychic Projection.

I have done a lot of messing around with this, and from what I've gathered, you want to get your crit rating between 300 and 400, Surge at about 300 max and stack everything else in Power. Willpower obviously trumps all.