To Shadow Strike or not?

Naethion

Hello. I am playing an Infiltrate Shadow. In most case, I will open with Shadow Strike(I'm leveling so I don't have anything else), and I will get an Infiltration tactics Proc. I'm wondering if its better to SS, then do it again if the Infiltration tactics Procs, or just let my Force Regenerate, or... Something XD. Any help is appreciated :)

Hello. I am playing an Infiltrate Shadow. In most case, I will open with Shadow Strike(I'm leveling so I don't have anything else), and I will get an Infiltration tactics Proc. I'm wondering if its better to SS, then do it again if the Infiltration tactics Procs, or just let my Force Regenerate, or... Something XD. Any help is appreciated :)

Not sure what level you are....

But in PVE its best to have your pet hold aggro and do side straifes once you have tactics proc. If they would've designed this game better, you would actually be able to be completely behind the target, but your companion will always keep pulling it in front of you (bad design like many things). But to the point, open with double, its one of the best force/dmg attacks until you can get the "buffs" later in the tree. If your low level, I would not waste force on "project" until you can get circling shadows.

despite what other guy said, i barely move around when in battle, except for when the mob dies.

sure at the first attack qyzen will be next to me but once he is attacking he does not move, so i only have to move behind the target ONCE. but, i digress.

I am a level 34 infiltration spec shadow. this is my first char. i have focused most of my talents on anything that can boost damage, and anything that boosts force regen. it is a total waste of force to open with shadow strike, even though i agree it is our best ability. i usually stealth, open with force breach, or project > force breach, and begin to use shadow strike any time i get the proc for half force cost. other than that, i stack two double strikes to get the proc for project, and use that. rinse and repeat. and i NEVER run out of force this way. and still bring down a group of mobs within seconds, qyzen tanking. i love qyzen.

i find force breach almost always crits on weak enemies, giving me an instant kill. so i usually target them first.

so summed up: open with force breach, use double strike, hit shadow strike on every proc, and project on every proc.

Edited by nomoreavril

I agree, open with force breach or double strike, as they're both instant. For me, this is dependent on which stance you're in. In shadow tech, always open with breach, as it's one of your primary damage dealers. In combat tech, always open with DS, as breach becomes a low powered AOE in combat tech.

Also...spend your points wisely so you get low slash as SOON as you possibly can. It's soooooo necessary for when the shadow strike procs, because it gives you just enough time to run behind and backstab. In PvE, you don't even need to turn around to do it, your character will do it for you, but beware in PvP because you have to turn around manually or you'll get the "not facing target" failure.

If you're infiltration shadow then you want to be leveling with a tank companion, likely qyzen as melee tank makes it easier.

Just let him hold the aggro and go to town on them. You'll be wanting to proc shadow strike up with first before using it, because not only does it cost half force but it is more powerful with automatic ignore of 50% armor. Using shadow strike without the proc is a waste of 50 force when you only have 100. So not worth it.

Early on, you'll want to do that by opening up with either force breach or double strike. Later on, you'll get a couple of procs for project too that will make it stronger and lower it's force cost. Until then it's kind of a waste too.

You'll want to get Qyzen geared as best as you can. Find orange, moddable heavy armor pieces for him and upgrade them. There are no moddable techblades for him yet but you can usually find good ones made by armstechs on the GTN for a price. His main stat is aim.

Edited by TheNevet

For leveling... Start with Qyzen but swap to Tharan ASAP (Holiday will help you to get the facing you need and in reality is a better companion when fighting tough mobs).

Never, ever use SS without FW proc... The "apparent" burst you think you may get is rapidly offset by the extra 25 energy (Basically you are forfeiting 1 force consuming hit for a fullly mitigated kinetic attack).

Use FB as opener or a simple DS if you don't have anything else (Project is also a very bad idea if it doesn't hit hard through balance tree skills or you don't have circling shadows procs).

Once you reach low-slash you will be able to use a SS any time you need (Just be sure you exhaust the 4s of low slash before using SS... If you are using Tharan, BE SURE you deactivate his anoying Vital Shot that's there for the specific purpose of breaking all CC you badly need ;))...

...Soon after you will have your only "stealth opener", "spinning kick" which is just, usually, an excuse to use Tumult for a low energy/high punch opener on that extra standard anoying mob that's usually linked a strong/elite one (That you usually maze).

Edited by ragamer

Yeah, you should never use SS out of stealth. The only time it's really worth it is if you have one standard/weak mob to kill, and that's it. If so, you can burn them down with SS and Shadow Breach.

However, other than that you'll want to open with either Force Breach or Double Strike. I prefer to use Force Breach; the cooldown is short enough that I can sometimes use it again that fight.

The thing is, we're not like your typical MMO stealth class. Stealth classes historically depend on that large initial stealth hit. Scoundrels/Ops are this way: they have a huge from-stealth burst attack, that also has a 3s knockdown and a strong DoT. Shadows, however, don't have a stealth opener. We still have burst damage, but it's proc-based. So rather than hitting for a huge number out of stealth, we hit pretty weak out of stealth, use normal skills for a few GCDs, and then we bust out the massive burst.

For PvP, I would recommend you try opening with Force Slow. Preventing your target from escaping while you blow them up is vital. We have (in my opinion) the best mobility and control of all the classes in the game as long as we can keep them within 10m. If they're within range, we get high run speed and powerful slows. However, if they escape, Force Speed is our only hope.