Get rid of Hybrid specs.

Creslan

Being able to allocate points as you see fit is one of the few things that allows us to differentiate ourselves from everyone else. I like it the way it is, though I wish there were more "general" powers and not so many tied to a specific ability.

I actually don't think that Bioware is able to keep all of the different specs balanced but if they can there is absolutely no reason to get rid of hybrid specs. They allow everyone to play the way they like independent from main-stream specs. I think it's rather annoying to see everyone run around with the exact same spec. Edited by Cyclonit

What on earth would they do this for?

Because balancing freak specs that you didn't intend or anticipate is a development nightmare, and can easily throw balance completely out of whack (eg: SL/SL Warlocks).

On top of that it's a major p-i-t-a to fix, because you not only have to redesign the tree you need to reimpement the underlying code.

And on top of that, say you want to make changes to a tree for other reasons. Except the change you make inadvertantly breaks a freak spec. GG. You just alienated a chunk of your player base -- see ya on the forums!

Because balancing freak specs that you didn't intend or anticipate is a development nightmare, and can easily throw balance completely out of whack (eg: SL/SL Warlocks).

On top of that it's a major p-i-t-a to fix, because you not only have to redesign the tree you need to reimpement the underlying code.

If they didn't have the forethought to think people might not focus on one specific tree then they deserve whatever headaches arise from their slapdash approach to game design.

And on top of that, say you want to make changes to a tree for other reasons. Except the change you make inadvertantly breaks a freak spec. GG. You just alienated a chunk of your player base -- see ya on the forums!

Any sweeping change of this nature is going to alienate someone, to severely limit player customization for fear of alienating a small group of players in potentia is... just bad business.

How many more people would they alienate by preventing hybrid builds at all?

The whole purpose of have branching skill trees for classes is to allow people to play a character their way. Some of the builds people come up with might be total crap, others might be surprisingly strong.

If they aren't prepared to balance things of this nature then they kinda fail.

The lack of customization in this game is bad enough. Why would they go and do that? Some of us actually wanted the d20 system. I don't understand the want or need for people to have their character cookie cutted like everyone else. It just baffles me.

I actually don't think that Bioware is able to keep all of the different specs balanced but if they can there is absolutely no reason to get rid of hybrid specs. They allow everyone to play the way they like independent from main-stream specs. I think it's rather annoying to see everyone run around with the exact same spec.

Unless you're an Assassin, then they hammer your hybrid specs into the ground and force everyone to run around with the exact same spec. Meanwhile, the really abusive hybrids, like say the various Sorcerer ones (but those aren't the only ones), are left untouched.