Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Perspective for those who want it NAO!

KnightPhyre

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I appreciate you trying to explain your point more thoroughly. I see where you are coming from.

But I think that would hold more water if BioWare actually made a Wii compared to Blizzard's Xbox.

They started to, in regards to storytelling on the individual character level... but then the rug comes out from under you and you're plunked down into a 1:1 copy of WoW's endgame except not as good and with less to do.

If they had somehow figured out a way to make a BioWare END GAME, then honestly this would be a whole different discussion! For the longest time, back when Gordon Walton was still w/ BWA, they were adamant that although they hadn't fleshed out their end game yet, it wasn't going to be like WoW's. That thinking obviously changed somewhere along the way.

To be honest i barely got to lvl 50, due to a completed my class storyline at lvl 48.

after that i was actually just standing around the fleet wondering what to do, i had hoped i would continue, clearing FP and Operations. But it was... well kinda boring, i felt like my excitement for the game was slowly fading away.

I don't hate the game, i like it, the magic about TOR is the journey.

and when you reach your destination, then it felt boring.

I'm concerned about that, the thing TOR should sell on, the Journey, will eventually become its end, because after that its as you say " 1:1 copy of WoW" though its only the endgame.

the game is fun... not everlasting, no matter how much i want it.

I truly hope, they can come up with some endgame that does not feel like all the rest.

but again, i guess that's too much to hope for.

with that being said i keep playing alts, due to me being more of a alt player, but something needs to happen, maybe not now, but eventually.

When/where does it end? The players see that this game from 2004 has feature A B C. This game from 2008 has D. Now a new game MUST have A B C D or it fails.

In the beginning, there was no real OS for video games. PC games were actually self loading, ie you turn on the PC and play it. Then the DOS got stable so they used that. THen came more memory vie EMS. Then PCs finally had enough horsepower to have a GUI underneath so people can double click on a icon and play a game. (But the support sucked). Then came internet and people demand online play....

The point of this is that one of the biggest games ever created, hundreds of hours of content, voice acting, tons of zones, etc. Still falls short because it can't compare to a game that has grossed about half a billion dollars in 7 years and has had a legion of coders generating content for that long.

So if this game isn't enough, what is? Answer is nothing. There will be no game ever that will have all the features players want. It's absolutely impossible. As a programmer I start with what is critical, program that in. Make sure it works, its bullet proof. Then I can add in features. The game works, it's pretty good. They are addressing the major game breaking issues. For most of us it's stable everywhere. (for some people it's completely broken in Ilum - major issue).

Then you have the players who say "Game X was terrible, I played it for 8 years". Why the hell did you do that? It's like saying "I married this person and it was 8 years of hell". (okay that's a really bad example, its far far easier to quit a video game). Point being that the game must not have sucked. I played WoW for 6 years. It's a great game. It's old now and I've outgrown it. I played other games too. I have high high hopes for TOR. It's got all the Bioware goodness. What will kill it is the EA support (Complete ****) and a lack of content (but it looks like they have alot of content coming). It's got a pretty solid foundation. Much like a house it needs some facelifts and upgrades like a good customizable UI, but the bones are solid I think. We'll have to be patient while they develop it. Or dont be patient, just leave. Just don't sit here and say " i pay for this ****** game and I DEMAND feature X". Kids these days.

When/where does it end? The players see that this game from 2004 has feature A B C. This game from 2008 has D. Now a new game MUST have A B C D or it fails.

Yes. That's called competition. If you don't have A B C and/or D, your E better be so much better that people forget about the other stuff.

Just got back home and was actually very surprised to see this topic actively being discussed.

A lot of people have very valid points, positive, negative, and neutral.

I just look at it like this. In a world where companies like Apple try to sue any other company that even comes close to copying a design feature, who's to say other gaming companies might not do the same? Who's to say BW is trying their damndest to figure out a way to integrate the features we want without explicitly copying established code? We've already seen issues and bugs that seem trivial in comparison to other games. But, consider this: What if some of the delay in development is because BW is trying to do these features using scratch code so as not to step on toes of other people who have made it work?

Maybe we don't have all the features we want just yet because they haven't figured out a way to duplicate the features of other games without duplicating the basis of programming the feature is based on? I base this thought on simple observation, not on research, so don't kill me for not having research to base on. My thoughts are speculation only.

Some things in the game just have a very "beginner" feel to them, like this game was an experiment to see if they could manage to try new methods to bring about old results.

I don't know. All I'm saying is that we should just wait a bit, have faith that BW to rise to the challenge and we'll see major improvements in the future.

Edited by KnightPhyre
Fingers typing something my brain didn't want.

Greetings!

We ask that threads made in General Discussion center on discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Threads made to criticize the community do not foster constructive discussion and are considered off-topic for General Discussion, so we have closed this thread. If you have feedback, we encourage you to contact us at communitysupport@swtor.com. Thanks for understanding!

greetings!

We ask that threads made in general discussion center on discussion of star wars™: The old republic™. Threads made to criticize the community do not foster constructive discussion and are considered off-topic for general discussion, so we have closed this thread. If you have feedback, we encourage you to contact us at communitysupport@swtor.com. Thanks for understanding!

nooooo

EDIT: Oh yeah!! Boo yah!

Inb4close.

I have the last laugh. You all are wrong. SWTOR is perfect.

Edited by Space_Gimp

Greetings!

We ask that threads made in General Discussion center on discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Threads made to criticize the community do not foster constructive discussion and are considered off-topic for General Discussion, so we have closed this thread. If you have feedback, we encourage you to contact us at communitysupport@swtor.com. Thanks for understanding!

You should close threads quicker.

I keep reading posts about stuff people want that should have went in at launch, then saying WoW's got it...why cant we?

Here's some perspective:

LFG tool - WoW did not add this feature in until the end of 2006, two years after release.

Dual Talents - WoW did not add this feature in until mid 2009, five years after release.

And many other similar features.

As a playerbase, a lot of people are trying to whine and beg for a 7 year old release bemoth to already exist for a 2 month old release infant. Bioware has already said that they're working on developing most of the stuff we want.

To end this little foray into reality vs. fantasy and wishful thinking, here's the word of the day:

pa·tience

   [pey-shuhns]

noun

the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay

SWTOR is not competing for the client base of wow 7 years ago. They are competing for the client base of WoW now. It's really that simple.

And despite all of that, it still choked out. It is doing okay, but not breaking any records. You see, despite how much people harp on it, those features actually don't make the game.

DCUO is another good example of this. Had LFG at launch, had appearance at launch with full color customization, had duos, hardmode, hardermodes, and several raids and yet it really died quick.

Ya but rift and dcuo fell off quick for way different reasons. If anything having these features is what is keeping them afloat.. well rift anyway. Rift has a bag full of issues and i know one of them was HORID character delay. But either way u cant say "oh rift had these on release and look how well it did" lol cause u know damn well it had nothing to do with that at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.