Powertech Tanking: Aggro: Single target and AOE

roccorossi

Hey Everyone.

Been starting to run EV Raids and our guild runs with 2 tanks. Me and an Assassin.

It seems to me that I have a real problom holding aggro. ESP with AOE situations.. I see our ION gas stance does 50% more threat... is that for all abilities? Cause I spam Fire sweep and it does not hold ANYTHING.

The AOE Taunt is nice. It works for 6 seconds.. but its on a 45 second cool down... How am I Supposed to keep 10 things off of everyone when I can only taunt them all every 45 seconds?

The Assassin Seemed to hold AOE Taunt WAY Better... And even Single Target Aggro hold seemed to be much smoothly....

Am i Doing something wrong?? Are there abilities that cause more threat then others??

Edited by roccorossi

Death from above

Explosive dart

Flamethrower

Tab target rocket punch and railshot between above cooldowns, always making sure to keep heat low.

Spamming flame sweep is terrible. You can hit it once in a while to apply 4% debuff, but you'll overheat very quickly for little gain if you spam it.

A lot of tanks forget that the amount of damage you do will increase your threat. So don't skimp out on all the damage skills. You won't be able to hold aggro on all the trash. An off-tank or the DPS' should be able to take those without a problem. Your main goal should be the boss. Make sure you're using your hardest hitting attacks without wasting too much heat.

I usually roll:

Jet Charge

(Flame sweep with more than 1 enemy)

Rocket Punch

Rail Shot

Flame Burst

Rinse, repeat.

If you have heat blast, make sure to throw that in there. I generally use it if I'm above ~15 heat. It's always good to keep heat low, and it's only on a 15s cooldown.

I generally don't have an issue holding aggro, unless the boss does drop aggro (like Soa in stage 3).

You should think of taunts the same way you think about condoms. It's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. Use them sparingly, only if the main boss is moving away from you.

Just curious, assuming you're in an AoE situation (and have thus used Flame Sweep already), why would you use Flame Burst?
Deals more damage than basic attack, when you have heat blast and don't have to worry about overheating as mutch.

Also might be resetting your railshot cooldown or making rocketpunch free. Depending on what hybrid build you are using.

Edited by System_Crush

Deals more damage than basic attack, when you have heat blast and don't have to worry about overheating as mutch.

Also might be resetting your railshot cooldown or making rocketpunch free. Depending on what hybrid build you are using.

Idunno, just seems like you'd be better off using Flame Sweep for filler (heat permitting) and RP/RS for single-target aggro in an AoE situation (assuming 31 shieldtech). I tend to mostly just use Flame Burst/Sweep to apply/maintain the Combust debuff, though, unless my heat's really low and I've got nothing better to do with my GCD.

The link below should explain why you're having issues. Please note that I have one more thread explaining other conditions as well. But this link will most definitely answer Threat and Heat issues. The reply is answered correctly and verified through in-game experience.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=305454

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=301503

Edited by TheRealPyxx