Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Remove Country-Specific Limitations for the Upcoming Free Server Transfer Programme

carbonytte

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that English language was the main concerned.

Here are the official language of the following SEA countries :

Malaysia : Malay

Indonesia : Malay

The Phillipines : Tagalog

Thailand : Thai

Vietnam : Vietnamese

Why did they include HK? Well, its a SAR so they don't really have an "official" language. While majority of the HKers speaks Cantonese, they also are well verse in Mandarin and English, the later owning to their British colony heritage. So it is unlikely they will clamour for a "cantonese" version anyway.

Incorrect.

The official language of Singapore is actually Malay. So why was Singapore included and not Malaysia and Indonesia?

(BTW, the official language of Indonesia is Bahasa Indonesia, which is different from Malay).

And, yes we from other South East Asian Countries do converse in English very well. thank you very much. And I believe Malaysia was also a colony of Britain. Furthermore, most HK people prefer to speak Cantonese despite English being their official language.

Your arguments are flawed.

i do agree on your idea as well. i'm just trying to understand BW's intention of having only SG/HK/NZ/AU players qualifies for the free server transfer programme when the server are already named as APAC servers, not SG/HK/NZ/AU servers.

your idea is even fairer than mine, if we look from the perspective of all SWTOR players :)

I agree with this one. The transfers should be open to everyone that has a SW:TOR account regardless of location as long as they are going to one of the new region's servers. It would help to populate these new servers as well as get some people off of the very low population servers in the US and Europe.

Incorrect.

The official language of Singapore is actually Malay. So why was Singapore included and not Malaysia and Indonesia?

(BTW, the official language of Indonesia is Bahasa Indonesia, which is different from Malay).

And, yes we from other South East Asian Countries do converse in English very well. thank you very much. And I believe Malaysia was also a colony of Britain. Furthermore, most HK people prefer to speak Cantonese despite English being their official language.

Your arguments are flawed.

Wrong. Official languages of Singapore are English, Mandarin Chinese, Malay and Tamil. However, 99% of S'poreans can converse in English as it is a common language.

Bahasa Indonesia and Malay are cousin languages, much like British English and American English or "French" French and Quebecois French.

I strongly agree with this thread. I can't understand why they would include Singapore when they have the smallest pop in SEA (5m). Malaysia and thailand have a combined total of nearly 100m people. I'm pretty damn sure there re more Malaysians and Thais on my server than Singaporeans.

This would make sense to me if they didn't include HK(also tiny pop) as then I would assume they just want countries in Asia-pacific with English as a first language. But since HK is included, it just stinks of something fishy. Anyone notice these 4 countries are the only ones in the oceanic region that are considered developed nations?

Population of Singapore = 5million

Population of HK = 7 million

Population of NZ = 4 million

Does that answer your question of why they add Singapore?

(All three countries have facebook penetration of 50% of population)

Again, I think the main reason they leave out other countries are probably due to language and localisation issues. How many percentage of Malaysians and Thai INTERNET USERS are fully conversant in English, as opposed to their native language?

I believe Bioware/EA had to do some business and data analysis against the potential profit margin.

Also, how popular is the starwars IP in the various Asian countries?

/signed

Again, I think the main reason they leave out other countries are probably due to language and localisation issues. How many percentage of Malaysians and Thai INTERNET USERS are fully conversant in English, as opposed to their native language?

I believe Bioware/EA had to do some business and data analysis against the potential profit margin.

Um.. does not matter... they still access the damn thing, they should open up the transfers. Smaller market does not mean that you make no profit, nor does it mean those people won't want to xfer.

In addition to your answer, EA/BW got official resellers in the territories. However, if I'm correct (I think I'm correct), you can buy from any part of the world through Origin.com, hence the country-specific qualification for free server transfer programme is not being correctly justified. At least from my perspective.

Language shouldn't really be a barrier, you can just hire some people to do customer support ifor the language they need to support. Look, they support French and German, so if they really want they can actually start support national language of other places. Also, if you look again even several EU countries still use English for game support like Hungary/Czech Republic. If you wiki well, you'll see Malaysia is ranked at 20th place in term of English-speaking population throughout the world. And Thailand at 22nd place. Compare that to Czech Republic and Hungary, in which their country which has game support based on the FAQ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population.

Edited by carbonytte

/signed

i m from Malaysia and we border singapore.

and we cant play in asia pacific server?

plz be real bioware and realize theres more countries in asia pacific region and open up ur horizons to this countries as well

BW has a reputation of listening to the community

Lets hope they dont fail us on this one

Peace

With the coming server transfer, one can't help but to feel discriminated. There are some countries with a significant amount of Bioware fans who have purchased the game direct from America. And now that the Asia Pacific servers have opened up, they won't let us transfer to those servers. It's like penalizing us for being an early adopter.

I don't think this is the right message Bioware is sending across to it's fans. Even in other countries who were left out such as Japan, Indonesia, Phillipines..etc.

I hope they reconsider this decision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

/signed

Its not only Asia Pacific players that want to transfer to the APAC servers I have made a lot of friends on Harbinger from the US and Canada who want to move over with the rest of us as they enjoy playing with the new mates they have made.

It is also making if hard for me as I want to stil play with my friends so if they cant go I am seriously thinking about staying on Harbinger, but then I also have a heap of Aussie friends that are already playing on Dalborra, so do I stay or do I go that is the question :( And having charaters split between the 2 servers over the last month has been a pain so I dont want to keep going like this :(

But I guess until you fix the transfer form I aint going anywhere lol :)

Edited by DavydM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.