Bounty Hunter Merc - Light vs Dark

GhostNato

I played a DS merc healer to 50 and my brother did a LS 50 powertech, they both have their merits, it basically comes down to which companions you want to use. the healer companion is LS, and there's one DPS and one Tank each for LS and DS. just personal preference really. as a personal note, i'll say that i thought DS worked really well for my merc.

there is no difference to light side and dark side.

with certain companions you'll gain more points by choosing light or dark side choices but the amount isnt much and you can still get them to max by companion gifts. I went dark side and use mako and she still got to about 6k affection by lvl 45

and the light side or dark side choices is just for the relics while leveling which doesnt really improve your game by much especially if you dont use em much at all.

also it determines what color crystals you gain benefits from. but theres no color crystal that has a specific stat, since all the colors have the same set of stats to chose from.

also once you get into operations and hard modes, all the gear has no light side or dark side restrictions

so really its all personal preference of how you want the story to progress.

there are choices that will effect how the story goes such as if you let people go, it will be reflected in the story later on, but that will only affect the story of how it'll be told for just that one part, but not effect how the game will play out over all

Light or dark side has no effect what so ever on the gameplay.

Both have access to relics and rubbish flavor items + a useless mount.

When you hit 50 and/or before you hit 50.. just roll with Diplomacy for a few days and you can easily top up whatever side you feel like being very fast.

Light or dark side has no effect what so ever on the gameplay.

Both have access to relics and rubbish flavor items + a useless mount.

When you hit 50 and/or before you hit 50.. just roll with Diplomacy for a few days and you can easily top up whatever side you feel like being very fast.

or you can just solo BT normal like a boss and get your light/dark side points from that, works for any flash points

The "biggest" difference in LS/DS I have seen is that the LS/DS vendors have some oranges only to one of them at low levels, like for example LS orange heavy gloves at level 9 (On Republic side the level 9 orange heavy gloves are available for DS only). In that one case DS has to wait to get them as a quest reward on Tatooine (might get them earlier, but I haven't seen them as reward earlier).

And slotting up orange gear will cost you more most of the times compared going with blues if you don't craft yourself anyway (you do get modifications with commendations though, but not for all 3-8 items for yourself and the ones your companion has (my Mako has 5 oranges on top of my own 7...)).

The smaller difference is, that on Empire side the LS items tend to be a lot cheaper to their DS counterparts, purely because there are a lot less LS characters. This can at best mean you get something for 500 credits, instead of having to pay 5000. That is no reason to roll on either side though in my opinion.

All in all, very minimal differences. Doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. :-)

the biggest advantage to ds is the moddable boots/gloves you can buy from the ds vendor. the ls vendor only has these on republic side

i do belieev there is also a bug to the end of chapter 3 if you choose the dark side option

Actually I just bought both my LS Bountyhunter and his Mako moddable boots from an Empire LS vendor... They are level 27+ though. The selection for gear is exactly the same on both sides, just switched around from LS to DS and vice-versa. It seems that Empire is considered as DS and Republic as LS.

Makes no difference unless you really care about affection, which can be worked around as well. If you really want to RP a "dark side" BH and want to use Mako all the time, just put her away before starting any conversations, you won't gain any affection, but you won't lose any either.

The only time it could really make a difference is if you're using Light side armor and you go bad and drop into dark side territory. In that case you just buy replacement pieces from the dark side vendor and swap the mods over. If you're not a RP centered jeedai type that stuff really means nothing.

We should have a faction point system rather than a dark/light system, imo.

Also as a merc, what DPS tree would you go for to help with not overheating

as an arsenal merc i usually dont have heat probs if i stick with my normal 1v1 rotation, its set up to dump heat on crits with certain abilities. i hear that pyro is all about heat management but they can explain that better than i can