Annihilation XR33 power cell use?

So i've heard exact opposite stories on what the power cells actually do. I've read they give the turrets health, i've also heard they take health away from the turrets. I was just wondering what they actually do. Also can melee hit turrets from the ground without having some kind of leap ability? Thanks in advance oh and before someone tries bashing me i have searched in this forum and google and could not find a solid answer.

when you kill a power cell it drops the turret by a percentage, thus killing all of the cells drops the turret to around 50%, but just straight dpsing the turret is much faster.

maybe the dev's thought Melee needed something to hit, but didnt realize they could still hit the turret, then when they did find out they probably said oh well.

wow thanks for a speedy reply. so melee can hit the turret without having a leap ability? also whats the relation between 8-16 man normal HM and NM modes? which fights are the same mechanics and which one's are different?

while Melee w/o a leap ability probably wont be able to hit the turret with everyone of there attacks, all classes have some ranged ability of sorts.