Is shadow an okay class for a beginner?

jedipooface

This is the first mmorpg I've ever played. A while ago I finished the game as a level 50 sentinel, and I wanted to start a new character as a Shadow. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to learn how to tank effectively. If its really tough to tank I may go with another class, but if it's not too hard I would like to play as a shadow. I don't play any PvP and I'm mainly interested in solo play. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is the first mmorpg I've ever played. A while ago I finished the game as a level 50 sentinel, and I wanted to start a new character as a Shadow. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to learn how to tank effectively. If its really tough to tank I may go with another class, but if it's not too hard I would like to play as a shadow. I don't play any PvP and I'm mainly interested in solo play. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest they are pretty complicated tanks. Don't get me wrong I love my Shadow (Level 50), but it's a lot of watching cool downs and using procs and such. For a first time tank I would probably recommend trooper vanguard or if you want a jedi the guardian.

Edited by Crazybobo

Honestly, no. This is one of the more advanced classes to play. DPS and tank alike.

Leveling as dps is immensly easy at the beg though, double striking my way home. Its pretty bad actually. Also the energy system is perhaps the easiest.

Then again it gets much more complex and since endgame is what people often only talk about thats the deal I guess. Procs, cooldowns and dots are the hard part, energy system is the easiest. Wouldnt say its the absolutely hardest but its certainly not something you can do without looking carefully at your talents and skills and reading a bit. Which you really should say about all the classes.

You really should try all the tank classes out a bit.

My first MMO too and my level 32 shadow is awesome. Not too sure why some are saying it is complicated cause it isn't but you do need to be more wary of CD's and Procs .

Check out Powerr's tanking guide if you haven't already and also watch one or 2 of his tanking PvP Vids.

First modern MMO for me. If people call Shadow tanking complicated, I'd hate to play another tank because I'd be bored to pieces.

Kidding aside, you have 50 levels to learn how to effectively play the class. Read stuff like Astral's guide (the stickied one) for advice and you should be good to go.

It's not hard for beginners. All the people are saying in this threads it will take some effort. But that's half the fun. When I read a couple of guides on here, and saw other shadows in action I realized better ways to play. It's very satisfying to figure it out.

Having said that, it's tough to learn all this stuff sometimes. I'm 43 and I'm still semi clueless.

The shadow does start off very easy. I have easily leveled up as a Kinetic Shadow. While it does become more complicated as you get to the endgame, you also have to account for the fact that you've had the first 40 some-odd levels as a learning curve. But the time you get up in levels, you'll most likely have a good idea of how to use your spec. From there, you can just tweak to increase effectiveness and efficiency.

So in short, yes, the shadow is complicated, but only if you inherit a 50 shadow. If you level him up, he's very forgiving in the beginning and would have learned a lot of how to use him properly by the time he starts becoming complicated.