Crit/Surge after patch.

Kricys

How much are you guys rockin on your gear since the surge nerf? I'm sittin at around 27% crit 75% surge. Wish there were some crit/power enhancements but it seems crit/surge accuracy/power accuracy/crit power/surge is all we have to choose from.

Ironically enough, surge was slightly dubious even before the patch (mathematically, power, str, and crit came out ahead for a lot of higher-end gear compositions). Now it's just trash.

So yeah, I was QQ about no power+crit enhancements before patch anyways.

I'm thinking ~3 allocations of crit and surge across my gear (~150-200 Surge) and then the rest acc+power. Preferably closer to 150 Surge, and finding other ways to pump crit rating without sacrificing strength/power.

Someone was claiming power/crit drops in nightmares but I've never seen em.

I went from 30 crit 81% surge to right around 76% surge iirc

I've also heard the same thing about those dropping in NM but I've yet to actually see any.

Until they give us other options though I'll probably still try and stack the power/surge mods from Operative gear in my PVP set, there really isn't anything else to go with right now :(

Edited by Foxcolt

Had about 82% surge. Now it's 74.5%. Pre-patch I was stacking power because it was, as easy mentioned, mathematically superior. Honestly I really wish they didn't make surge work the way it does now. It's another soft-capped stat that we're forced to deal with. Accuracy and Surge are just trash stats that we're forced to have in our enhancements now. I feel that they won't let us have crit/power enhancements until future tiers so that we don't always have perfect stats every tier.

I feel that they won't let us have crit/power enhancements until future tiers so that we don't always have perfect stats every tier.

You should check your decay on crit rating. I noticed that the formula separates the decay on crit from STR and the crit from crit rating -- my crit rating is already pushing pretty well into decay for crit%, whereas STR has plenty of room.

You should check your decay on crit rating. I noticed that the formula separates the decay on crit from STR and the crit from crit rating -- my crit rating is already pushing pretty well into decay for crit%, whereas STR has plenty of room.

??

I already knew this. In fact I've made multiple posts on this forum saying people that suggest "30% crit" are stupid because of the separate dacay.

Crit is still > Accuracy(at 98/108) and Surge(around 72-74%) and of course Power > All but Strength.

Power/Crit enhancements would still be the best all around mods in the game once you reach the pathetically low surge/accuracy soft caps(200-250 rating a piece is nothing IMO).

Edited by Tumri

Currently I'm at around 290 crit rating so even taking into account offhand hits crit rating is more valuable. Sure others might not have such pitiful crit but if you're using all Str/Power mods(as you should) and soft capping accuracy/surge you'll have a similar crit value when in mostly rakata gear.

Edit:

In current gear I'm at 1540 strength, 503 power, 291 crit, 256 accuracy(miniscule amount over soft cap), and 272 surge(need to lose 1-2 surge mods because of the patch).

Edited by Tumri

I generally look at things from a PvP standpoint.

Not sure about the most optimal PvP setup. Then again I'm stubborn and like to troll around in full PvE optimized 0 expertise gear for WZs. I suppose I'll switch eventually when people on my server start getting more competitive/good but for now it's pretty easy to top WZs in any gear against Sorcerers that don't even bother using Force Slow :p

Edited by Tumri

Well, "min expertise: 550", "ACC target: 10%".

Not much difference tbh, except you have lower STR and endurance in PvP. Also, I run the defense stim, so lower str and power again.

My current itemization issue is that I'm in between Champ and BM sets, and several of the pieces coincidentally have too much crit rating when you add them up (some Crit Mods, Crit on some misc slots). I think I'm up to 350 or 400 crit rating. Tedious. I am also short on Acc, and have too much Surge from old gear. But, I'm waiting on tokens, zzz. I need to upgrade all my slots to BM first, and then get extra get to swap Mods to Pow. I think the resulting stat levels will also have me swap 1 Enhancement to Pow/Surge (over Pow/Acc), but I'll have to see.

I may *randomly* get a piece of Rakata from guild runs that I attend intermittently, but we'll see. Worth having 1 slot swapped to PvE gear for the Str/End over heavily decayed Expertise at the BM level.

1 point of Strength is .8 power and .4 crit. When the crit from strength(which is on a separate DR) is worth less than half as much as power you can just stack power instead. This is a very high strength value.

Wrong. It takes ~137str for 1%crit, and 5str = 1 damage bonus while 4 power = 1 damage bonus. Unless they decided to change the values in the last week or two.

edit: Going to log on just to make sure these values are still correct.

Edited by awildcannon

Wrong. It takes ~137str for 1%crit, and 5str = 1 damage bonus while 4 power = 1 damage bonus. Unless they decided to change the values in the last week or two.

edit: Going to log on just to make sure these values are still correct.

Pretty sure you're misreading him. He said that 1 strength is equivelent to .8 power, not .8 damage bonus.

If 5 str = 1 dmg bonus, and 4 power = 1 dmg bonus, then power is 20% more efficient as far as raw damage bonus goes, which correlates exactly to what he said. 1 str = .8 power

As for the part about crit, he was probably referring to the correlation between strength and crit rating, not crit %.

Edited by AGoldCrayon

Pretty sure you're misreading him. He said that 1 strength is equivelent to .8 power, not .8 damage bonus.

If 5 str = 1 dmg bonus, and 4 power = 1 dmg bonus, then power is 20% more efficient as far as raw damage bonus goes, which correlates exactly to what he said. 1 str = .8 power

As for the part about crit, he was probably referring to the correlation between strength and crit rating, not crit %.

Alright, I see what he said now, my bad.