How to find an 'appropriate' guild?

Azelen

Since there are no server-specific or guild recriutment forums, this seems like the most logical place to ask the question. How does one go about locating a guild to join up? There must be some place to to match guilds up with players (and vice-versa, I suppose)...

For clarification, one (me, in this case) must find a guild's character before jumping onboard - not just any guild will do. It's gotta be the right fit for for both the organization and the player. Anybody got any suggestions for where/how to look?

That's a very good question and one that I've been pondering about from the other side.

As a community, we have two guilds in SWTOR and are very restricted in methods of actually advertising that we are open for recruitment. There are no in-game tools for finding a guild: no panel within the Social interface to post up whether we are recruiting, the type of players we are looking for etc.

Finding a guild that suits you isn't just a case of joining several and seeing which you like best, as rumours of 'guild jumpers' soon get around and harms the player's reputation. A guild is your online home and is just as important as joining any social group in RL.

There isn't even a biography window on the Character interface to add a little info about a guild.

As a community, we don't like to swamp the General chat channel and so this means that even fewer players get to hear of us. A Guild Recruitment channel is something that would make finding a guild a lot easier.

I am sure my concerns above are shared by most guild and community leaders.

My suggestion is that if you group up with players, those you found friendly and helpful are often in guilds with same attitude. Once the mission/heroic is complete, chat to them about their guild and find out more about it.

My suggestion is that if you group up with players, those you found friendly and helpful are often in guilds with same attitude. Once the mission/heroic is complete, chat to them about their guild and find out more about it.

This. Took the words right out of my mouth. Every guild I have ever joined, I have spoken and ran with members first.

Guild recruitment forums are right here http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=309 of course depending on your server name and type. Server names go by alphabet as you may see already .

The issue I have with those forums is that you need to be constantly spamming/bumping your recruitment threads in order to keep them anywhere near the first page.

The whole forums are incredibly chaotic and hard to navigate, hence the difficulty players have in looking for a guild that might suit them.

Thanks for the advice and helpful tips.

Sadly (so far as grouping is concerned), I play republic (anecdotally lower population), on an East Coast Server (Darth Bandon), playing in the evenings... Japan time. So, it's rare I run into another player that's not my wife. However, I'll be transferring back stateside very soon, and perhaps I'll run into some friendly, helpful folks once I'm playing on the same schedule as everybody else.

Again, thanks for the replies and information. I'll try to put it to good use.

How to find a good guild:

Do your own homework to find out how to play your class, the best you can.

Grind out the stuff you have to grind out. (have fun and you'll get there, it's not a race)

Take time to understand the game mechanics.

Know what you want in a Guild; social, questing, pvp, RP, end game, raids, etc.

As you are doing all this, pay attention to which guilds have been around on your server the entire time. Guilds tend to come and go as often as players. If you see a guild that has been around for a long time and has good players, there's a good bet that it's going to continue to survive. Likewise every guild has turnover, so to survive they all need fresh players as well. Make sure they have a website and see if their public forums are full and active. If you join, don't sit there quiet for a week and leave. Start conversations, get to know the members. Use the website and voice chat. There's always a chance the guild you choose is not what it seemed, but do the above and you increase your chances of filling a key role in a progressive guild.

:)

How to find a good guild:

Do your own homework to find out how to play your class, the best you can.

Grind out the stuff you have to grind out. (have fun and you'll get there, it's not a race)

Take time to understand the game mechanics.

Know what you want in a Guild; social, questing, pvp, RP, end game, raids, etc.

As you are doing all this, pay attention to which guilds have been around on your server the entire time. Guilds tend to come and go as often as players. If you see a guild that has been around for a long time and has good players, there's a good bet that it's going to continue to survive. Likewise every guild has turnover, so to survive they all need fresh players as well. Make sure they have a website and see if their public forums are full and active. If you join, don't sit there quiet for a week and leave. Start conversations, get to know the members. Use the website and voice chat. There's always a chance the guild you choose is not what it seemed, but do the above and you increase your chances of filling a key role in a progressive guild.

:)

Our guild has been around for 10 years. Longevity is important, imo.