The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Crafted vs Looted tanking gear question

Olvera

Today while celebrating with much fanfare at my learning an artifact schematic through reverse engineering, I noticed a guy in general saying that crafted gear was worthless compared to Hard Mode gear.

(I had originally notified everyone on planet of my great success, due to my complete dry spell for the past five days.)

He said that my high end crafting gear couldnt compare to any Looted hard mode gear.

I tried to enlighten him with the thought that I don't have to waste time and huge repair bills fixing my armor while trying to do hard modes just for a chance to get gear or a crystal shard.

Also all the crafted gear that I was wearing had augment slots in them. (Armor a mix of blues and purples. Augments greens, blues, and one purple)

He said that no serious guild would want a tank who wasnt in hard mode gear. While in my defense, I stated that my gear was actually superior to pretty much any Tionese gear due to the augment slots in them.

So my question is this, do most guilds actually care if your armor is crafted or not?

My tank stats are:

Shield 45%

Absorb 41%

Defense 15%

Still have four blue pieces equipped. Waiting on an augment slot to show up on two purples before swapping them out.

The crafted gear is pretty good and in the case of Implants/Earpieces/Bracers/Belt, Masterwork Veracity items are pretty much straightout better than anything you will get inside a hardmode Flashpoint.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that by carrying crafted items, you lose on Aim/Endurance heavily but gain large amounts of Defense/Shield/Absorb. In total you will have around 3-5k less Hits than a hardmode geared Tank but you will take alot less damage and do somewhat less threat (which might be a problem in raids).

The loss of health is actually no big problem at all, but alot of peole might be not taking you, because the hitpoints is the first thing everbody notices about a Tank and people might directly assume that your gear is "bad".

So yes finding a guild for raiding with crafted gear will probably be harder, but this does not mean that there is a good reason for it:/

Edited by Amakiir

The crafted gear is pretty good and in the case of Implants/Earpieces/Bracers/Belt, Masterwork Veracity items are pretty much straightout better than anything you will get inside a hardmode Flashpoint.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that by carrying crafted items, you lose on Aim/Endurance heavily but gain large amounts of Defense/Shield/Absorb. In total you will have around 3-5k less Hits than a hardmode geared Tank but you will take alot less damage and do somewhat less threat (which might be a problem in raids).

The loss of health is actually no big problem at all, but alot of peole might be not taking you, because the hitpoints is the first thing everbody notices about a Tank and people might directly assume that your gear is "bad".

So yes finding a guild for raiding with crafted gear will probably be harder, but this does not mean that there is a good reason for it:/

Inspect also shows defensive stats, doesn't it?

I'm a 50 shieldtech MT with 400 armormech

The ONLY substantial value armormech provides a tank is a shortcut to Rakata belt, bracers and the only lasting value it offers is the chance to crit craft them and put in an augment.

Sure you can get moderately geared quicker than a 50 tank nonarmormech, but for all the time you spend farming mando iron 2 per hr per companion if your extremely lucky, and all the time spent crafting and REing, only to craft lvl 50 purples which are not as good as the dungeon loot you can earn in 1 hr of play. Even the recipe DROPS in hm dungeons reward armormech lower quality items than the hm set pieces that drop in the same dungeons, in addition to requiring you to run 2x HM FP and win both final rolls against 3 other ppl for the purple mats, AND farm 8 mando iron to craft it (during which time you'll probably get an upgrade anyway). And its bop so you cant buy it from another armormech or sell the product you can craft once you get it.

its not hard at all to find a guild with your gear, but once you have a guild and start running HM you wont need any of that gear anymore anyway after a few days. basically you have made yourself a very good "just starting HM" tank compared to others. but you're still just a starting HM tank and other non armormech tanks will be able to run HMs without your crafted gear and augments (just not as easily).

In general, armormech is a waste of time for anything more than augmented rakata bracers/belt, and helping out lower lvl players. It's just too quick and easy to run HM FPs, get drops, and buy commended gear. (especially now that they've buffed commend rewards)

Edited by Prolyfic

Yes it does, but at least when you are just looking for a flashpoint groups, people tend to judge a tanks equipment solely by his hitpoints and ignore all other stats.

And edit:

only to craft lvl 50 purples which are not as good as the dungeon loot you can earn in 1 hr of play.

I have both Columi Waist/Bracers and MW Veracity crafted Waist/Bracers. I prefer the crafted ones by far. They have almost four times the Columis secondary stats (aka your defensive stats).

In general, armormech is a waste of time for anything more than augmented rakata bracers/belt, and helping out lower lvl players. It's just too quick and easy to run HM FPs, get drops, and buy commended gear. (especially now that they've buffed commend rewards)

You can craft awesome stuff with armormech. Yes getting the right recipies might be a hassle, but you can craft a whole set of gear, which effectively is a sidegrade to hardmode flashpoint gear and sometimes straightout better.

I simply dont get why the "Crafted gear sucks" mentality still prevails.

Edited by Amakiir

I have both Columi Waist/Bracers and MW Veracity crafted Waist/Bracers. I prefer the crafted ones by a huge margin they have almiost 4 times the Columis secondary stats (aka your defensive stats).

I'm referring to the Energized set of recipes that drop, which are slightly worse than the dropped Columi gears. Sure the MW Veracity is good for BoE gear you buy, but an armormech is crafting himself Rakata belt/bracers anyway... never mw veracity boe stuff, thats for selling/helping others who aren't armormech.

columni < mw veracity (boe) < rakata (bop)

so ya in my post I am referring specifically to the 5 main pcs of armor, helmet, gloves, chest, pants, boots. If the OP is armormech he will never have use for MW veracity bracers/belt and once his Rakata is crit crafted (got my slots on my first two rakata crafts), he'll probably never upgrade his belt/bracers again.

Edited by Prolyfic

you can craft a whole set of gear, which effectively is a sidegrade to hardmode flashpoint gear and sometimes straightout better.

sorry, thats just not true for a tank. the set bonuses are too valuable and the raw 100/125 aim/end are too high to overlook.

Edited by Prolyfic

You can crit craft rakata Gear, so Armormech gets effectively 56 stats as a gift, i would hardly call that nothing^^

Also you can upgrade blue "pieces" two times through reverse engineering. The endresults are pretty equivalent to anything that drops in hm fps (seriously you can get upt o 60% shield chance, 60 % Absorb with crafted gear, but yes your hitpoints and threat will be abysmal).

Edit: Yes Setbonusses are nice and i do wear 5 pieces of the columiset, but the nonsetpieces are in almost all cases better than hardmode drops, and even for the setpieces i would at least buy one, if anyone on my server knew the recipe:/

I am not saying Crafted Gear >all. I am saying crafted gear is really usefull and you can enhance your equipment by mixing some pieces in, depending on the stuff you want to tank and how much problems with threat you have.

Edited by Amakiir

You can crit craft rakata Gear, so Armormech gets effectively 56 stats as a gift, i would hardly call that nothing^^

The ONLY substantial value armormech provides a tank is a shortcut to Rakata belt, bracers and the only lasting value it offers is the chance to crit craft them and put in an augment.

you obviously aren't reading my posts and you obviously aren't an armormech tank. thanks for your speculation though.

Edited by Prolyfic

you obviously aren't reading my posts and you obviously aren't an armormech tank. thanks for your speculation though.

Yeah i overread the last part of your posts, sorry for that.

And no i am no Armormech but i am a Tank, who got an Armormech friend, who already learned some nice pieces for me and is working to get some of the rest.

The point still stands that it is possible to craft very good Chest/Legs/Helms etc. and this has nothing to do with speculation or the fact that you already mentionend that the crafted rakata gear is BiS.

Here is the best craftable Helm :

[Masterwork] Veracity TT-17A Elite Vanguard Helmet (stats with Fortitude Augment)

776 Armor

110 Endurance

52 Aim

69 Defense

77 Shield Rating

You lose out on 60 Armor, 10 Endurance and massive Aim(~50), but gain tons of Defense and Shield Rating (40, 29). If you put an Absorb Augment in it you will also lose heavily on Fortitude but gain another 28 Absorb Rating.

You might still put on the Columi-Helm if you have issues with threat or if you are worried about your total hitpoints, but for reducing your damage taken as a tank the crafted Helm is miles ahead.

Edited by Amakiir