The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How to beat a non-noobish Operative 1v1 as a Pyrotech?

Assaultrooper

So I had never had any issues against Operatives Post-Nerf. UNTIL I met this "slightly good" Operative, who can basically faceroll me. If I do not have every CD up.

So whats my problem? I am in full champ gear (Combat Tech), with the BM helmet. He's Opener still does about 40% of my hp. (Standing in 16k hp) from that point on I must have my shield and heal up + medpac or else the dmg from simply spamming the shot ability + Backstab will kill me.

Things I've have noticed, I can't kite him well, he will always simply dispel the debuff. And even when I manage to get some space between us he still can finish me fairly OK with hes range abilities.

So anyone play an operative that can tell how to beat them without having to use every defensive cd I got? Because most of the time I use the Ofensive cds attacking something I can see, so bursting Ops down is out of the question :s

(I checked he's gear, we are basically on par, a rakata weapon 2 columni armor and the rest champ gear) And for the trolls out there, no I don't backpedal, no I dont keyboard turn, no I dont click, No Im not new to pvp I am a BM for some reason, and the operative obviously doesnt any of these.

So I had never had any issues against Operatives Post-Nerf. UNTIL I met this "slightly good" Operative, who can basically faceroll me. If I do not have every CD up.

So whats my problem? I am in full champ gear (Combat Tech), with the BM helmet. He's Opener still does about 40% of my hp. (Standing in 16k hp) from that point on I must have my shield and heal up + medpac or else the dmg from simply spamming the shot ability + Backstab will kill me.

Things I've have noticed, I can't kite him well, he will always simply dispel the debuff. And even when I manage to get some space between us he still can finish me fairly OK with hes range abilities.

So anyone play an operative that can tell how to beat them without having to use every defensive cd I got? Because most of the time I use the Ofensive cds attacking something I can see, so bursting Ops down is out of the question :s

(I checked he's gear, we are basically on par, a rakata weapon 2 columni armor and the rest champ gear) And for the trolls out there, no I don't backpedal, no I dont keyboard turn, no I dont click, No Im not new to pvp I am a BM for some reason, and the operative obviously doesnt any of these.

Honestly, for a well played operative...

If you have 0 resolve, and your determination is down, you are in for a very very tough fight. If their initial attack puts you up to full resolve (as in you already had some on you) it's relatively easy and you can survive the initial burst pretty well. The issue comes with the fact they can chain stun now as their opener no longer provides 100% Resolve.

However, the amount of operatives I go up against that actually seem to realize that after patch is few and far between. The ones that do I sincerely hope I get lucky RS Crits.

Spam your stuns at the start and try to build some distance (Operatives are terrible gap closers). If you stay up in their face it's tough. Mainly because even on my lowbie operative I've noticed, you don't have to be directly behind them to backstab so they have a pretty large angle to get that ability off which is frustrating.

What spec are you? The above is a little easier with flame burst pyro snare spam.

Honestly, for a well played operative...

If you have 0 resolve, and your determination is down, you are in for a very very tough fight. If their initial attack puts you up to full resolve (as in you already had some on you) it's relatively easy and you can survive the initial burst pretty well. The issue comes with the fact they can chain stun now as their opener no longer provides 100% Resolve.

However, the amount of operatives I go up against that actually seem to realize that after patch is few and far between. The ones that do I sincerely hope I get lucky RS Crits.

Spam your stuns at the start and try to build some distance (Operatives are terrible gap closers). If you stay up in their face it's tough. Mainly because even on my lowbie operative I've noticed, you don't have to be directly behind them to backstab so they have a pretty large angle to get that ability off which is frustrating.

What spec are you? The above is a little easier with flame burst pyro snare spam.

:( Im full pyro so I got that, but it doesnt work as well as id like... but thanks :)

I'm a battlemaster pt pyro and my brothers a battlemaster operative and our fights go back and forth. It all really gets down to how many cds you have up vs how many cds he has, and how many both of you are willing to spend.

You may want to consider specing into 2/2 infrared sensors for stealth detection over gyroscopic alignment jets because you will have more trouble with sins and operatives regardless and with this talent you can see sins from a mile away, and operatives not smart enough to get increased stealth will be easier to pop out. If you do happen to pop the operative out of stealth you'll make work of him I'm sure.

If he's really out to get you he'll learn to pop sneak as he approaches you to ensure a opener. When he does you "don't determination out" I don't know how much I can stress that. You need to sit there and relax, and take it like a man. I know when you are getting hammered you may immediately just pop out because of the intensity involved but you can't do that. Jarring strikes - the opener, is now only 1.5 seconds long, and you don't want to waste something as valuable as determination on it.

My brother tells me it draws a smile on his face when he sees BH players trinket out of it, and also states that he worrys more when they wait to trinket out of his debilitate [a 4 second stun mirror to our electro dart].

Anyway after you take the opener you attempt to carbonize them while running away, and pop a flameburst to proc the snare. If they trinket out of the carbonize even better for you, just electro dart them right after. If they don't escape out of carbonize make sure you have enough distance, and save electro dart for a later time. Then pop whatever damage trinkets or adrenals you have to offer and begin the nukage, drop the thermal detonator to release the cd, immolation missile, and rail shot. If the operative uses his snare [sever tendon on a 12 second cd] use your energy shield to remove it so that you have full mobility, might as well pop kolto vents to regain some hp if available. Attempt at holding them at the 10metre mark so you still have access to flame burst, while keeping the operative in front of you and strafing to the side, as if you are running circles around him. So in a sense a medium range kite will do, since all the hard hitting abilities the operative has to offer are at a 4metre distance.

Do make sure however to dart in for a rocket punch whenever available, it does alot of damage and has a stronger chance of refreshing rail shot but don't stick around. At this point you flame burst spam him and rocket punch off cd, and rail shot every chance. You may get a second thermal detonator on him near the end of the fight but it may not last that long.

Now, if he uses cloaking screen [vanish] you CANNOT let him get another opener. You need to stealth scan him out, and immediately reapply flame burst. If he gets another opener it's a good chance even if you had been winning the fight, you're as good as dead.

The rest is up to the RNG Gods.

Edited by KingDukenstein

Concealment is no good without opener. It's the same as every other stealth burst in mmorpg, knock him out of stealth and the fight is assured to be yours unless he's good.

Concealment can do just fine without an opener....If the OP is played well enough.