The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How to beat a Sorcerer/sage or why they arn't overpowered ;)

me_unknown

Especially the "I beat everyone 1v1, not because my class is good, but because no one else know how to play their class"

Actually I see very little if any of that 1v1 we suck for the most part. We can kill some, bu not most equally geared.. We only rule damage wise in group battles.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep but your DPS is at least halved - telekinetic wave on a 3 second cast, lol....

Not to mention only one dot, that does small tickets over long periods of time is instant cast if he has tel wave.. I bet he is not even a sage, just does not know what he is talking about.. You take away our throw we are done for.. All our damage is triggered off it.

i assume you wanted to proof me right with this video. as it is a great demonstration about what i am talking: most players are damn bad!

i watched only the first 5min. and it is what i see everyday:

5 enemies standing at one place watching me casting on them while they only stand there looking at one melee running towards them.

then the melee attakcs them and they start to damage him. while there are also my mirror class in the enemy grp they barrely do damage because they prefere ideling and running watching what's happening.

then i see him running from 2 others with very low health and when he turns back you see them they just stopped chasing without casting anything.

oh well, this video demonstrate so well how stupid actually the most players play!

yes, i can confirm this video even without BM gear! (though it is much less damage and you die much faster). the most opponents i face i time wasting dancers on the battlefield.

p.s. oh have you seen the damage this sage does? want to see how the damage numbers look like on say guardians, sentinels, etc. ?

i assume you wanted to proof me right with this video. as it is a great demonstration about what i am talking: most players are damn bad!

p.s. oh have you seen the damage this sage does? want to see how the damage numbers look like on say guardians, sentinels, etc. ?

Yep most people be bad. Hell alot of Sorcs and Sages be bad too, its really amusing when I interrupt Force lightning / pebbles and you always know the bads cause they just stand there like "Derp"

Edited by Light_Valkyrie

This thread made me lol. I'm sorry, but if you interrupt my Telekinetic Throw i'm still going to kill you. Its not like i'm going to stand there for 4 seconds doing nothing. I will DoT you and i still have Telekinetic Wave plus Project to hit you with. A good Sage/Sorcerer does not lose to interrupt, especially if they are using the Hybrid spec.

mind to tell me how?

telekinetik throw is your best dps spell as balanced and it even is as telekinetic if skilled (which is easy). but as telekinetic you will use disturbens for the proc. as hybrid you use the throw.

without making one of your long cast spells instant you do **** of damage! especially considering that you get set back in casttime from hits. we have our instant rock which is one of the lowest damage spells even if improved by skills.

sage/sorcerer has the lowest single target dps in pvp of all classes and it is easy to stop it nearly all! this class survives by hindering others to make damage on them!

Yep most people be bad. Hell alot of Sorcs and Sages be bad too, its really amusing when I interrupt Force lightning / pebbles and you always know the bads cause they just stand there like "Derp"

well I would hope they would start casting something, but without throw they are at a sevre disadvantage if hybrid, since all their abilities save 2 are long cast times (and 1 a dot, the other long cooldown.)

true. if i eat such an interrupt (which very rarly happens, maybe 1 in 20 matches) i either run or use a stunn to pass by the time or both. for exactly this i do have my utilities, to have an alternative.

Few classes have an interrupt that works outside of 10 meters. In a 1v1 situation there is SFA most melee can do vs a sorc/sage with the knock backs, bubbles, stuns, roots and snares. Often they will be pre bubbled and pop another one on midway through the fight.

Vs Ranged classes if you start loosing the fight 180degree force sprint out of there, nothing to stop you, Sniper/slingers and bh/commandos have nothing to stop you, infact due to you having a 30 meter interrupt you actually screw these classes over.

Sorcs/Sages have too many tools, too much control too much utility they need to loose something, dunno what but something needs to be done.

What a load of crap, really. All melee classes (not including the op but they are UP compared to the other melee) have a gap closer and a slow, a choke CC and do twice the single target damage of a Sorc. If you are melee and cant kill a sorc then go home and stop crying for nerfs because you will never be good. All melee is easy mode.

the easiest calss for a sorc to kill is another sorc, thats tells you everything you need to know.

Edited by da_krall

well I would hope they would start casting something, but without throw they are at a sevre disadvantage if hybrid, since all their abilities save 2 are long cast times (and 1 a dot, the other long cooldown.)

why as hybrid? its the same for pure speccs to. ok the pure balance one has a single instant cast dot more. but it is a dot ;)

still a nice one, but you know that a pure balance loses quite much of the utilities of a hybrid.

why as hybrid? its the same for pure speccs to. ok the pure balance one has a single instant cast dot more. but it is a dot ;)

still a nice one, but you know that a pure balance loses quite much of the utilities of a hybrid.

I understand that, however as pure balance you have 2 dots you can cast during your 4 sec cooldown, at least allowing you to do something other then long cast times.

edit, well 2 instant cast one with a cast.

Edited by Lormif

anyhow. enough time wasting for me. i have to get back to work.

it seems i accomplished what i would like to. point out a few things about the sorcerer/sage that seem to have been forgotton, make some people rethink their class, this class and the whole pvp.

i didn't expected that most people will do so, but even if there are only a few it is better than nothing.

yes, i am trying to save this class. i like this class. it is not the only class i play. but the reason i am trying to save it is NOT that it is overpowered and i want to continue owning with it.

i want it because it has one of the most complex playstyles and it would be a shame to make it boring with nerfs only because most people in a 2 months old game have understandble no clue about the game and class mechanics.

p.s. and before you forget that: i also do not know most stuff here. there are things to balance but it is too early for such op and nerf calls! there is yet much to be to discovered on tactics and on your own class you play!

Ok, i stopped reading the thread around page 4. I laughed my *** off when i read the OP. Not sure if you really understand all of the mechanics that your class has. I too have a Sorc, i played a BH, and then i switched sides to play a GS.

I can interrupt 1... 1 of your many spells. It doesn't matter if i interrupt your heal, your damage, or whatever. It locks out the 1 spell. Leaving you with many many other tools to ensure that, while that 1 spell is down, you are still doing damage, mitigating damage, or healing damage. It doesn't matter if that heal isn't going to outpace the damage. Because once the interrupt is over, back you to go to nuking somebody's face off.

LoS'ing a sorc/sage doesn't do much. You'll have dots on you (assuming they know how to play their class), so you're taking damage from that. Interrupt their "main" damage attack, like you said, and try to nuke them with your own cast/channeled spell, and they will simply interrupt you. The shield prevents enough damage at the start to give the Sorc/Sage and edge in basic energy/heat/force leves, because it will soak up most non-crit attacks. And if you do manage to get the jump on a sorc, beat him down to a point where he think they might lose, they will just force sprint away around a corner, and heal themselves up.

The problem with the Sorc/Sage is that their Utility allows them to dictate pretty much every aspect of the fight. As people have said, though you'll simply discount me like you have the rest of the people who've said it, Sorcs/Sages have too many Utility spells to help control the fight. Are they lower on DPS than some classes? Yes. But that isn't what gives the sorcs/sages the upperhand. It's the ability to dictate every aspect of the fight.

Stop trying to be so narrow-minded because you're playing a class that you're ROFLstomping people with. You argue that a single interrupt will change the entire scope of the fight, which simply isn't the case. Interrupting 1 spell, regardless of what spell it is, will not gimp the Sorc/Sage in any way. They will simply use another tool in their Utility Belt to ensure they remain with the Upper-hand.

L2P is not the answer. I have played many MMO's, and many other types of Video Games. I understand the mechanics as well, if not better, than most.

The problem that you, and i suspect most others playing your class, is that you are happy being "better" than most players. Go roll another class (yes, you have a commando, blah blah blah), stay on that class for a while. And when you get your face stomped all over by the over-populated Sorc/Sages, maybe you'll start to understand.

But for now, because you are happy that your class is at the pinnacle right now, you will discount everything i said. You will throw out the L2P, L2Interrupt argument time and time again, without truly reading anything i or anybody else will try to tell you. It's become more and more apparent that you are not here to listen, you are here to TELL people. We can't argue our points, because you won't listen. You simply believe you are correct without understanding why you are not.

I understand that, however as pure balance you have 2 dots you can cast during your 4 sec cooldown, at least allowing you to do something other then long cast times.

edit, well 2 instant cast one with a cast.

2? you mean the aoe one which you have to position with your mouse before? as a hybrid i have that one. but it is a very situational one because you have to position it on the ground with your mouse which not only wastes alot of time but is also quite difficutlt on the run ;)

The problem that you, and i suspect most others playing your class, is that you are happy being "better" than most players. Go roll another class (yes, you have a commando, blah blah blah), stay on that class for a while. And when you get your face stomped all over by the over-populated Sorc/Sages, maybe you'll start to understand.

this is not a fact, that is only an imputation by frustration.

if you would have carefully read my op and would first try what i suggested you would have seen that this cannot be the case.

i understand your frustration very well! but the conclusion you are doing is wrong! your frustration simply makes you blind and wants you to blame a specific one for all your problems.

also maybe there is a problem with your class. i do not deny that your class may have is imbalance weakness. it may be. and then it may need to be fixed. but this does not make the sage/sorcerer overpowered. this is false logic!

p.s. you forget my sentinel at early 40s ;)

2? you mean the aoe one which you have to position with your mouse before? as a hybrid i have that one. but it is a very situational one because you have to position it on the ground with your mouse which not only wastes alot of time but is also quite difficutlt on the run ;)

We dont have a AOE dot.............

We have 3 as full balance, sever force: instant with small stun, then the normal ones.. You are thinking of force in balance, which I am not sure why you would have in PVP unless full balance, but it is an instant AOE.

Ok, i stopped reading the thread around page 4. I laughed my *** off when i read the OP. Not sure if you really understand all of the mechanics that your class has. I too have a Sorc, i played a BH, and then i switched sides to play a GS.

I can interrupt 1... 1 of your many spells. It doesn't matter if i interrupt your heal, your damage, or whatever. It locks out the 1 spell. Leaving you with many many other tools to ensure that, while that 1 spell is down, you are still doing damage, mitigating damage, or healing damage. It doesn't matter if that heal isn't going to outpace the damage. Because once the interrupt is over, back you to go to nuking somebody's face off.

you are obviously lying to defend yourself. i know that the interrupt locks down only this one spell. but tell me what damage can i do if my spammable spell has been locked down, when all the other big hitters are long casts that actually are only used with an instant making proc, which needs my spammable spell to proc?

you are simply lying that you have played a Sorc on that level. it is so obvious!

LoS'ing a sorc/sage doesn't do much. You'll have dots on you (assuming they know how to play their class), so you're taking damage from that. Interrupt their "main" damage attack, like you said, and try to nuke them with your own cast/channeled spell, and they will simply interrupt you. The shield prevents enough damage at the start to give the Sorc/Sage and edge in basic energy/heat/force leves, because it will soak up most non-crit attacks. And if you do manage to get the jump on a sorc, beat him down to a point where he think they might lose, they will just force sprint away around a corner, and heal themselves up.

The problem with the Sorc/Sage is that their Utility allows them to dictate pretty much every aspect of the fight. As people have said, though you'll simply discount me like you have the rest of the people who've said it, Sorcs/Sages have too many Utility spells to help control the fight. Are they lower on DPS than some classes? Yes. But that isn't what gives the sorcs/sages the upperhand. It's the ability to dictate every aspect of the fight.

Stop trying to be so narrow-minded because you're playing a class that you're ROFLstomping people with. You argue that a single interrupt will change the entire scope of the fight, which simply isn't the case. Interrupting 1 spell, regardless of what spell it is, will not gimp the Sorc/Sage in any way. They will simply use another tool in their Utility Belt to ensure they remain with the Upper-hand.

L2P is not the answer. I have played many MMO's, and many other types of Video Games. I understand the mechanics as well, if not better, than most.

But for now, because you are happy that your class is at the pinnacle right now, you will discount everything i said. You will throw out the L2P, L2Interrupt argument time and time again, without truly reading anything i or anybody else will try to tell you. It's become more and more apparent that you are not here to listen, you are here to TELL people. We can't argue our points, because you won't listen. You simply believe you are correct without understanding why you are not.

All of this has been proven in previous posts to be bogus....The problem is not that we wont listen, is that you state incorrect info, we correct it, and you put your fingers in your ears as you just did.

We dont have a AOE dot.............

We have 3 as full balance, sever force: instant with small stun, then the normal ones.. You are thinking of force in balance, which I am not sure why you would have in PVP unless full balance, but it is an instant AOE.

oh sorry, i didn't read the word "dot".

we have no matter what build one dot with low damage. then as balance the second dot you mentioned. right. i thought you were talking about instant spells not dots.

my fault.

edit: but to answer your last question: force in balance is one of the two spells that are not mitigated by armor and even if it is difficult to position it is isntant. i sometimes use it on the run.

it is also very helpfull to prevent multiple opponents from tapping an warzone target.

actually i do not have anything better to spent this one talentpoint and it is a good spell for some situations.

Edited by me_unknown

The problem with the Sorc/Sage is that their Utility allows them to dictate pretty much every aspect of the fight.

Please compare and contrast the sage/sorc 'utility' with that of another class please. If you read the thread you would know the sorc 'utility' argument is just not true. Prove it, aside from the heavy armor and heavy dps class: commando, who does the sorc have more utility compared to?

Maybe I missed it. Can't find interrupt on my Commando's power lists.

Vanguard/Powertech spec riot strike/quell a 4m range attack that interupts and prevents that move from being cast for 6 seconds.

In other words a melee attack thats worthless unless your on top of them at which they still get away from you if there cooldowns are up.

Vanguard/Powertech spec riot strike/quell a 4m range attack that interupts and prevents that move from being cast for 6 seconds.

In other words a melee attack thats worthless unless your on top of them at which they still get away from you if there cooldowns are up.

Also, Vanguard != Commando.

Good god, the lies in this thread...

OP claims "noone else knows to play against a sorc" yet has no idea about any other class except for the sorc. Splendid.

Stay classy, forums.

hmm, three wrong statements here:

1. i said most people don't know to play in pvp, not all

2. i know very well to play a sentinel and now several important stuff from other classes.

3. i wanted to point out that there is a very very strong utility many have that i nearly NEVER see used against me.

maybe this helps to understand my wall of text isntead of flaming me with wrong statements.

Edited by me_unknown

their, just so you know...

Second, if they are running from you, IE getting away, they are not casting so no need for the interrupt...

Lastly even if they do run away from you ie getting away from you:

http://www.torhead.com/ability/hwCLZ3y/grapple

Edited by Lormif