Ideas for "easy" content for the developers to implement

OverWind

As so many of you, I've hit level 50 a while ago. I don't consider myself a "content locust" and I still love the game.

This is not supposed to be a negative post. Rather a place where people can come up with easy-to-implement content for the developers, that would really make the game better.

I'm a programmer myself, so I know how hard it is to "just make content". The way I see it, content is divided up in several types.

Hard to implement: Raids and Flashpoints, etc.

Why?: Because of the many people needing to be involved. Writers, Programmers, 3-D models, artists, voice actors, etc.

Hard: Storyline stuff.

Why?: Needs writers, voice actors, etc.

Medium: Re-using of existing content.

Why?: Needs programmers.

Easy: Small fixes, bugs, etc.

Why?: Only requires developers.

Now I know that not ALL content can be fitted in these tiny boxes, and that there's also several other people involved, eg. project leaders to community guys. This is just to simplify it all, and to come up with ideas for content marked by how easy we think it'll be to put it in the game.

My ideas for content that would make the game a lot better in my opinion:

Make all Flashpoints available in Hard Mode at level 50. Easy

Why: We need more content. Pure and simple. This will give the 50ies more stuff to do. It doesn't have to offer unique rewards, it just have to mostly be an alternative to everyone doing Black Talon HM for daily quest.

Why do I think this is easy: Because it mostly involves content that's already in the game. The enemies "just" need to be tweaked to level 50.

Also I'd really appreciate to play some of the other flashpoints again.

Different hutball maps. Easy

Why: Everyone who PvP's have played hutball over and over again. I like Hutball, but after 5 games of it in a row, I'd like diversion. I think if developers just made 3 kinds of hutball maps it would be more fun.

Why do I think this is easy: Because it mostly involves content that's already in the game. And as long as the map is mirrored, it will be fair for both teams, so even if an intern makes the map it will not be imbalanced (at least not for teams, maybe you have to take classes into consideration) - But even SMALL map changes would be very welcome for the sake of diversion.

Exemplar system as in City of Heroes. Medium

Why: I love my level 50. And I love my guild. And I love to be able to help guildies when they have trouble. However, I'd love to be able to either match their level (so I can quest normally with them, and not just destroy everything in my path), or that they match mine (so I can bring people on flashpoints. They don't even have to have special rewards, I think most people would just love the idea of going on flashpoints with the guild - but it's very hard to have people at the same level in the guild to do flashpoints with, except all the 50ies).

Why do I think this is medium: This will not be easy to implement. And perhaps quite a bit harder than medium. However it will not require artists or voice actors. So maybe Bioware can put a programmer to work on it.

Holocron duels. Hard

Why: This is just a content filler. But I'd like to have a list of maybe 50 characters from the game, available to duel with. Ranked from easy to impossible. That way you can practice your skills and maybe could even have a title for the accomplishment of defeating 10, 20, 30, 40 and all of the listed possibilities.

Why do I think this is hard: Depending on how this is implemented, this will require both voice actors and 3-D artists to set up a pretty environment. However when it's first created, it will be very easy to add characters to the list. So while it's a large investment at the start. It will pay off by being a system easy to add more content to.

Extra Idea: Maybe we could even make it so several people can join. And can fight flashpoint bosses, or waves of enemies in there. (It would be fun to have a mode where endless enemies attacked you, and you could see how long you could survive. You could even have a daily/weekly/monthly high-score board to see which group survived the longest).

That's my humble suggestions. Do you have any brilliant suggestions? Maybe even stuff that will be "easy" for the developers to put in the game?

Its quite aparant that you have never worked in game developing :)

Bugs can be a very hard thing to get rid of, you need top of the line programmers usually which are hard to come bye even for a large company like BioWare. The mere cost to have one of those mayby 200 in the world that can do this effectivly is about the cost of 5 other regular programmers. Its not cost effecient, which is also why you see so many bugs in so many games nowadays. The coding is just so much more complex then it was in the 90's.

Its quite aparant that you have never worked in game developing :)

Bugs can be a very hard thing to get rid of, you need top of the line programmers usually which are hard to come bye even for a large company like BioWare. The mere cost to have one of those mayby 200 in the world that can do this effectivly is about the cost of 5 other regular programmers. Its not cost effecient, which is also why you see so many bugs in so many games nowadays. The coding is just so much more complex then it was in the 90's.

True. I've never worked professionally in game developing. I program more boring stuff professionally, and have only done small games in my spare time.

I've never disputed that bugs can be very hard to fix. However this does not change the fact that most of the time bugs mostly are easier to fix than creating a whole range of new content.

Actually I was think how about a voice modulation slider, so male or female characters of the same class don't sound exactly alike, you could make it within reason of course.

Oh yeah something like this would be nice. I hate when someone of my class talks in a flashpoint and I'm like "Hey! Give me my voice back!"

I know that orange gear does make it obsolete somewhat but I would love to see a "Wardrobe" feature like in Aion, Warhammer Online and Rift. My Sentinel looks like a Cardinal on highly illegal substances in endgame PvE armour.

I do quite like the goofy Samurai armour you get for PvP though I know a lot of people don't like how camp it looks; even though Star Wars IV: A new Hope is basically Hidden Fortress in Space, and it was most likely Bioware making a reference to that very awesome Samurai Film.

i want to be able to play SWTOR with my kinect too

I know you're probably semi-trolling. But I'll take your idea and expand a bit on it.

Voice commands: It would be nice if you had a microphone and could say "attack" or "passive", etc. and your companion would do it. - I read somewhere that Mass Effect 3 would have that. :)

I know that orange gear does make it obsolete somewhat but I would love to see a "Wardrobe" feature like in Aion, Warhammer Online and Rift. My Sentinel looks like a Cardinal on highly illegal substances in endgame PvE armour.

I agree. Maybe even an idea for crafting? What if for example a character who has synthweaving could take any green/purple item that fits his crafting profession and turn it orange? - That way it would both be a game mechanic (you could earn money on it) and turn cool stuff, into usable stuff.

I agree. Maybe even an idea for crafting? What if for example a character who has synthweaving could take any green/purple item that fits his crafting profession and turn it orange? - That way it would both be a game mechanic (you could earn money on it) and turn cool stuff, into usable stuff.

They could make it so you can have an Orange version of each armour graphic with a couple of different colour schemes too.

Social Gear and the ability to equip Smuggler Orange gear is actually a godsend as a Jedi Sentinel since the robes are all a muddy brown with no real detail to them (until the 40's) and a massive victorian era style bump at the rear. I did actually wear the "Lando Calrissian" gear on my Sentinel while levelling because of how horrible Jedi Knight robes in general look on females.

It looked both hilarious and awesome. My guild called it my "Wonder Woman Outfit" and it was epic.

Easy put back all the titles that for some reason worked in beta but don't in live game.

yes people want to be the emperor's wrath ot of the bane brigade or friendy and so on. it's easy because all the code is already there and it would help everyone not all have the same title.

I agree, that would be very nice.

Also. Since I'm a completionist. I'd also like some kind of achievement system (yes, like in wow). That would be an extra thing to do, and I love those kind of (game in the game) things. :)

Medium: Re-using of existing content.

Why?: Needs programmers.

It's not a separate category. Re-using content is involved in creating of nearly everything new to the game.

Easy: Small fixes, bugs, etc.

Why?: Only requires developers.

Not true. Bug fixes tend to be most difficult part of development. Especially once you have game done and only expand upon it as it's with TOR. Bug fixing is what takes most time and is hardest thing to do (unless we talk here about fixing things like typos in dialog boxes).

Make all Flashpoints available in Hard Mode at level 50. Easy

Not true. It's not easy. Especially with flashpoints like Colicoid War Games which would require bit different mechanics to make them more difficult but still fun.

Different hutball maps. Easy

Not true. It's not easy. Making good PvP maps is one of most difficult tasks in multiplayer game development. Many games have failed solely because someone thought that making maps is easy.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

It's not a separate category. Re-using content is involved in creating of nearly everything new to the game.

Of course. But there's a huge difference in needing writers and voice actors or not.

Not true. Bug fixes tend to be most difficult part of development. Especially once you have game done and only expand upon it as it's with TOR. Bug fixing is what takes most time and is hardest thing to do (unless we talk here about fixing things like typos in dialog boxes).

That's simply not true. Yes, some bugs can be very hard to fix, but it simply doesn't drain your manpower the same way that new content does.

Not true. It's not easy. Especially with flashpoints like Colicoid War Games which would require bit different mechanics to make them more difficult but still fun.

I'm not saying there won't be difficulties, and of course some flashpoints (hammer station, athiss, red reaper, etc.) will be better suited than others.

Not true. It's not easy. Making good PvP maps is one of most difficult tasks in multiplayer game development. Many games have failed solely because someone thought that making maps is easy.

Great. Let's never make anything new in the game then. Because it's so hard.

As I said, I'm not arguing that it's stuff that you can just create from one hour to the next, I'm simply arguing that some things will be easier to put in the game than other things. And alternative hutball maps is certainly one of the easier things.

Also, I challenge you to come up with some suggestions yourself, instead of just putting yourself in a negative role. - Use your imagination. It's a game :)