Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

sooo.. Why did BW decide to make legacy sever based and not account based?

Talsalus

So my republic chars dont have the same legacy name as my empire ones.

I actually thinks its a smart move to do it server based that way if I do want a different legacy name I can just level up on a new server.

my reasoning is this: and sorry if it gets confusing

I think the idea of servers and each character being stuck on one server is a dying practice. In the future if BW ever wanted to implement a server selection at each log on they would have a couple different problems happening. One big problem would be duplicate legacy names/character names. If you have ever played Star Trek Online you know that you can name your character anything you want because your name is actually for instance... Sylar@accountname. Star wars adaption could be Sylar@legacyname.

One of the biggest benefits of this is that it would pretty much remove the problem of people rolling characters on low populated servers. Also.. one day I might feel like questing with out getting ganked, so I'll just relog to a PVE server.

IDK. just got to thinking and prob just whining about unnecessary things.

Edited by Talsalus

my reasoning is this: and sorry if it gets confusing

I think the idea of servers and each character being stuck on one server is a dying practice. In the future if BW ever wanted to implement a server selection at each log on they would have a couple different problems happening. One big problem would be duplicate legacy names/character names. If you have ever played Star Trek Online you know that you can name your character anything you want because your name is actually for instance... Sylar@accountname. Star wars adaption could be Sylar@legacyname.

IDK. just got to thinking and prob just whining about unnecessary things.

Well taking that route there would be a LOT less options for legacy names would there?

(BTW I dont think your choice of Sylar for that example was conicedence was it)

Well taking that route there would be a LOT less options for legacy names would there?

(BTW I dont think your choice of Sylar for that example was conicedence was it)

lol :D. Sylar was my favorite character in Heroes. And it just so happens that Zachary Quinto was is ST also.. Annnnnd sylar is the name of my Sith Inq.

Because this way when you take a legacy name it's only taken for that server.

It would be kind of unnecessarily obnoxious if one guy got his legacy name and locked out the whole rest of the game from it.

Eh.. it would make it more unique.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that making the Legacy Name Server based was pure pragmatism. Somewhere along the coding process, BW decided that it would be more practical/easier on their end to attach the Legacy name to the Server over a player's account; perhaps their thinking was along the lines of, if Server transfers are allowed, they do not want to deal with the possible headache of figuring out what to do with the possibility of two players, on the same Server, with the same Legacy Name.

Eh.. it would make it more unique.

Yea... but it would still be

unnecessarily obnoxious

So let's avoid the

unnecessarily obnoxious
choice.

Also, this post is one of the more unique ones, but it's also

unnecessarily obnoxious
therefore making it a bad (and once more for giggles)

unnecessarily obnoxious

choice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.