You think Anakin....

Wolfninjajedi

Yes i think that is 100% right.

I try and look at it from his point of view.

He has dreams about the love of his life dying. He needs guidance for this.

He can't go to the Jedi as they don't allow marriage

He goes instead to someone that he has known since he was a young boy.

Sidious then manipulates him and makes him see the dark side as the only way to gain the power to save the life of the women he loves.

He is only ever trying to save Padme. He is just manipulated by Sidious into turning to the dark side. He basically sells his soul to the devil without realising, in order to try and save her. I think by mustafar he is already too far gone to even realise what he is doing.

And i think it would happen to most people in the same case. I know if my wife was in danger i would do anything to save her.

No. At least from the movies, Anakin came across as a spoiled brat in serious need of a good spanking.

Yeah in the movies he comes across like that, but i blame the director for that. The actors have proven themselves in other movies, yet seem to do a really poor job for star wars.

IMO the tragedy of Darth Vader that Lucas wanted to tell is much more apparent in the novelizations.

You think Anakin had good intentions, but he went about it all the wrong way?

The intention was the old adage the road to hell is paved with good intentions, as illustrated in the animated and then CGI clone wars series during his "dark" moments. The prequals however coupled bad writing with the worst acting to show he had whiney intentions and went about it a crybaby way.

people forget that Anakin was a slave and watched his mother die. Also, he was forbidden to love his only true love. And don't forget the only man he ever thought could play the role of his father and freed him from slavery (Qui Gon) was killed. He may have been a brat, but he had a horrible life.

To put it simply yes. To elaborate Anakin is a deconstruction of the classic hero archetype. Like most heroes he cares about and wants to help others and is willing to make sacrifices of himself to make that happen. Where the deconstruction comes in is that Anakin shows what happens when this self sacrificing nature is taken too far. Anakin has a serious martyr complex to the point that he sees the deaths of those close to him as personal failures regardless of the circumstances. This just pushes him to make greater sacrifices to the point that he gives up his integrity and succumbs to the Dark Side.

I think Anakin was a kid with an enabling mother and no father who was allowed to do whatever he wanted. And he chafed at the controls the Jedi placed on him especially as a teenager. Basically, if someone told him he couldn't have it, he wanted it all the more. Palpatine's "you can have it all" insinuations were sweet music to Anakin's ears.

Also, Anakin doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer...

He is only ever trying to save Padme. He is just manipulated by Sidious into turning to the dark side. He basically sells his soul to the devil without realising, in order to try and save her. I think by mustafar he is already too far gone to even realise what he is doing.

And i think it would happen to most people in the same case. I know if my wife was in danger i would do anything to save her.

Too bad he chokes his own wife thus defeating the purpose of it all.

The Clone Wars does a much better and more realistic portrayal of Anakin.

Watching the prequels, I had a tough time accepting Anakin as a character, let alone as Darth Vader. I couldn't even read the prequel era novels because of how much I couldn't stand movie Anakin.

After watching TCW though, I've actually really grown to like the character. So much in fact, that I can read the books, and picture him in a much better light. It also gives a much better picture of his downfall, showing how events of the war begin to shape and change him, turning him from simply a reckless apprentice, into a hard-edged and opinionated warrior.

It feels weird to say this, especially as someone who for years dismissed TCW out of loathing for prequel era stuff, but after actually watching the show, I am really excited to rewatch the original trilogy and think of Darth Vader as Anakin Skywalker. (And believe me, given some of the things Anakin does in the show, it's not a stretch).

Watching the prequels, I had a tough time accepting Anakin as a character, let alone as Darth Vader. I couldn't even read the prequel era novels because of how much I couldn't stand movie Anakin.

My friend got all the blurays recently. And it was my first time watching them again since they were first in theaters. And I couldn't believe how they portrayed Anakin. It's hard to believe that he is Darth Vader.

Sidious then manipulates him and makes him see the dark side as the only way to gain the power to save the life of the women he loves.

This....

YOu mean the REAL Anakin from Lore or the Anakin in the shotty prequels?

The "real" Anakin was the typical brave and kind warrior who was tempted and fell to the dark side. All the while he felt he was doing what was right as he hunted down the Jedi and helped create the galactic empire.

The movie Anakin was a flawed, whiney, wooden teenage character who's sole purpose was to get put into a black suit so Lucas cold make a quick million.

regardless of whether or not Anakin was good this is how i saw it.

A. Anakin saw a vision of Padme dying. Cause for Alarm? yes. Kill your brotherhood who took you in to save ONE PERSON? psychotic (not the good kind, i find madness can be good or evil, or even neutral in some circumstances.) My reaction would have been to tell her to see a doctor (private doctor) to see if anything is wrong with her, and keep a eye on her.

B. He could have easily simply LEAVE the order the did not allow marriage to run off with Padme. (kind of like Romeo and Juliet's plan, only with less fail.)

C. he was a moron who acted on impulses and believed everything the sith lord told him, even after learning he was a sith lord.

He was a fool, he was too impulsive, did not use common sense (to quote something i saw on the internet, "Common Sense isn't so common".)

in retrospect, i can't take him very seriously.

there are just some lines you don't cross.....Killing children to save your wife, not going to go there.

Anakin had a ruff life, pretty much everyone died. How did no one notice that he was spending to much time with the creeper known as Palpatine? Are jedi really that blind sometimes? He was going down from the start.

He did balance the Force in the end I guess.