bringing ilum mid field

Tattersalad

Have to say ive gotten alot of good fights on ilum this week.

WHAT

It got me to thinking about how the zone is set up and what occurs to me is - even though we are getting more fight activity, its still basically a fight at the republics base. this is fun but its not taking advantage of the 'other' thing to do here which is collecting armaments which only spawn midfield.

WHY

Seems from everything ive experienced in game and read on the forums this is going to be the way it stays until the population balances itself out between imperial and republic faction.

So the question for me now becomes, how do i bring the fighting midfield?

SUGGESTION

"Population activated respawn points" Simply put, whichever side has the numbers advantage would be spawning from a spot either in or near their base while the team at the disadvantage would have the ability to respawn much closer to the battlefront, potentially allowing the smaller to force to hold ground and make the zone competitive.

This is just a rough idea of how to help balance pvp a bit more from the game side of things that can be controlled. Obviously i dont want to run across the map every time i get ganked when my faction has the advantage but its only meant as a proof of concept.

Have to say ive gotten alot of good fights on ilum this week.

WHAT

It got me to thinking about how the zone is set up and what occurs to me is - even though we are getting more fight activity, its still basically a fight at the republics base. this is fun but its not taking advantage of the 'other' thing to do here which is collecting armaments which only spawn midfield.

WHY

Seems from everything ive experienced in game and read on the forums this is going to be the way it stays until the population balances itself out between imperial and republic faction.

So the question for me now becomes, how do i bring the fighting midfield?

SUGGESTION

"Population activated respawn points" Simply put, whichever side has the numbers advantage would be spawning from a spot either in or near their base while the team at the disadvantage would have the ability to respawn much closer to the battlefront, potentially allowing the smaller to force to hold ground and make the zone competitive.

This is just a rough idea of how to help balance pvp a bit more from the game side of things that can be controlled. Obviously i dont want to run across the map every time i get ganked when my faction has the advantage but its only meant as a proof of concept.

you're missing the big picture.

there is very little incentive to being on ilum in the first place. farm kills or armaments for several hours a day to get a single bag? fail, and no thanks.

people, especially on PVE servers, aren't going to go to the PVP zones unless there is potential for PVE reward. SEE WOW (Wintergrasp, Tol Barad, etc.)

factions battle for control of these zones in order to unlock a raid instance where pvp AND pve gear drops. there are also daily quests made available in these zones once your faction has control. and unlike SWTOR, these quests are completable.

BW is trying to re-invent the wheel here, and they are absolutely failing miserably at it. the reason is they don't know what motivates people. motivation is the key to getting people to pvp. no amount of herding, as your post suggests, will cause MORE PEOPLE to come to Ilum, which is what is desperately needed more than anything else.

Bioware, please read this.

I was in a discussion today on Saber of Exar Kun with the local community: the consensus is that Ilum in its current design is not fun and not rewarding in any sense.

The rewards for capturing an objective are a temporary buff to Valor gain, which is a fundamentally worthless thing. Yes, you require Valor 60 to get items, but there are no tangible rewards, and it does not make up for the terrible play.

SOLUTION

Does anyone remember how Alterac Valley was designed in WoW at the day of its implementation? It was a sealed-box warzone with npc questing areas, significant rewards, and you would often log into AV-1 and quit 3 hours later, only to log in at hour 9 and find the same people playing.

This was patched because people complained about 12 hour games, never winning, and never getting credit for winning. The thing is, this actually had charm

In thinking about this, I was reminded of Warhammer's KEEP system. How this escaped devs is beyond me, as I know some of the game was designed by WAR's people.

Why not make an Ilum that has both or either of these features? Seems to me if you combine AV with War (5 keeps, 5 bosses, npcs in the way of chain capping, tangible rewards for spending time there, and commendations for acquiring objectives) you would have an AMAZING Ilum that everyone would love. Bump if you agree.

Good Hunting!

I was in a discussion today on Saber of Exar Kun with the local community: the consensus is that Ilum in its current design is not fun and not rewarding in any sense.

The rewards for capturing an objective are a temporary buff to Valor gain, which is a fundamentally worthless thing. Yes, you require Valor 60 to get items, but there are no tangible rewards, and it does not make up for the terrible play.

SOLUTION

Does anyone remember how Alterac Valley was designed in WoW at the day of its implementation? It was a sealed-box warzone with npc questing areas, significant rewards, and you would often log into AV-1 and quit 3 hours later, only to log in at hour 9 and find the same people playing.

This was patched because people complained about 12 hour games, never winning, and never getting credit for winning. The thing is, this actually had charm

In thinking about this, I was reminded of Warhammer's KEEP system. How this escaped devs is beyond me, as I know some of the game was designed by WAR's people.

Why not make an Ilum that has both or either of these features? Seems to me if you combine AV with War (5 keeps, 5 bosses, npcs in the way of chain capping, tangible rewards for spending time there, and commendations for acquiring objectives) you would have an AMAZING Ilum that everyone would love. Bump if you agree.

Good Hunting!

I don't know the two areas you're talking about. But a PvE element introduced with a reward of commendations and valor, as well as those same rewards for defending your area and bosses (I think you mean it's like killing the bosses is the main goal of the PvE aspect) would be very fun. Worse case scenario not alot of people are there and you attack their area. Best case is you can assist your boss and defend your area against PCs, or hold them off while your group ganks their's.

Of course you do need to have some small scale stuff a solo person can do, even if it's not as lucrative as killing the boss.

I like it though! Good job.

SOLUTION

Good Hunting!

motivation in any form is the key. people are simply not motivated to travel to Ilum to pvp against each other for the sheer fun of it. this is why wow's world pvp zones have been so successful. it's all about incentive. and one-a-day funbags with nothing in them come up just a bit short.

i wonder if these developers have ever played ANY other mmo's.

actually, i wonder if these developers play their own mmo.

My post was a suggestion for a QUICK way to improve something in game, not redesigning an entire area so we can play it 3 months from now.

people, especially on PVE servers, aren't going to go to the PVP zones unless there is potential for PVE reward. SEE WOW (Wintergrasp, Tol Barad, etc.)

Bazouk, nobody whos JUST into pvp wants people to come farm pve gear in their area of the game for a very simple reason... I dont want to carry you. If you show up in 140 PVE gear and get you *** stomped by guys in 126 PVP gear, all youll be doing is alt tabbing to come cry some more on the forums and try to get the part of the game you dont do nerfed.

Ilum is world PVP, not PVE. If you want to make the comparison to wow opening of AQ event i would at least ask that you have more than the one example that took place 7 years ago. It was cool, and i would love to see something similar in this game eventually but for that to be in the launch i think is unrealistic. Its been said a god awful number of times but wow had 0 pvp at launch. .

Saying you should be able to get PVE rewards out of a PVP zone is downright ignorant. For those that dont know the accronyms they are as follow,

PVP = player vs player

PVE = player vs environment

There was never anything worthwhile on the PVE side of alterac valley rewards that couldnt be replaced by any level 60 instance and likely some of the mid level 50 ones as well. For that matter... where my pvp gear from doing pve which we HAVE to do if we want to max biochem or really any crafting proff.

There is also a ton of gear you can get for PVE from PVP for leveling purposes through the WZ system.

@BW - Please add an option for original poster to lock their thread on posting. Its getting old trying to give the company constructive criticism/suggestions and having your thread jacked by everyone and anyone who disagrees.

Edited by Tattersalad