The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech tank stat caps simplified

sinzzz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extra hp is extra hp. I bet you'd take an item with slightly higher end and less other stats instead of the reverse, right? And really, iy I didn't take the end boost, I would prob ably throw 2 of those points into Iron Fist, as that is a large part of the damage I deal as a shield tech. The other point would probably go to Intimidation, or Proto cylinder. If I really start to see an issue with aggro, then I'll worry about swapping things around.

I'm confused here. Flamethrower is also channeled and as far as I can tell does not have channel protection either. Against a single target, Unload does on average about the same damage as Flamethrower, for 2/3 the heat. So wouldn't Unload be better?

Flamethrower does have channeling protection for powertechs (getting hit wont reduce the channel time, and thus the damage dealt by the ability).

Unload is also weapon damage, which is reduced by armor and can be shielded/dodged/deflected - flamethrower does elemental damage which bypasses armor and cannot be shielded/dodged/deflected.

@Tenacity: I wonder why you didn't take the three points in Integrated Cardio for the Endurance boost? But thanks for the other info here, it gives me target numbers to work for. Seems I was going for too much in +def items/augs.

If I put 3 points in that talent, I'd be gaining less than 600 health. It just isnt worth the investment, especially when you dont need more than 20k health to survive any spike damage currently in the game.

Extra hp is extra hp. I bet you'd take an item with slightly higher end and less other stats instead of the reverse, right?

No, I wouldnt.

I've been tanking for years now over several MMO's. There's something that tanks refer to as "effective health" - which is the amount of health you need to survive the maximum amount of spike damage any given enemy can dish out to you in the amount of time it takes your healer to recover the health lost to that damage.

If a boss does 10,000 damage to you every 3 seconds, you have 20% damage reduction, and your healer can restore at least 2667 health to you per second, then you only need 8001 health to be at the effective health limit (though, in most cases, you want a bit of an extra buffer in case your healer has other things to deal with). Having more health than that (buffer aside) doesnt add to your effective health, because that extra health never gets 'used'.

Once you're at the effective health limit, it's better to focus on improving damage reduction than on gaining additional hitpoints. Including the 'buffer', you dont need more than 18,000 health to survive any boss burst damage in this game with a decent healer backing you. 20,000 health gives you an extra bit of buffer and is a good amount to aim for right now - anything more than that is really a waste of stat points unless you're running with a poor healer.

I have another problem with tanking gear. I recently got my set of columni/tionese gear with tanking stats somwhere along the lines of: 15% defence, 45% absorbtion, 40% shield chance. Currently on a tionese helmet and chest Im wearing enhancement from daily illum heroic to drop that crappy aim-oriented enhancement for some nice shield boost. I will be swapping those parts for columni head and chest soon but enhancement on it are just as crappy as on tionese- aim oriented with maybe 8 more endurance than those I am currently wearing. And the same issue with rakata! Does that mean I should be running with lvl 50 enhancements on a lvl 56 gear? Or grab additional piece of gear (like gloves which have a cool enhancement), remove enhancement from it and smack it on a chest and helmet?

I dont know what you think but to me itemisation of BH supercommando set is seriously broken with huge aim boost and not too much defensive stats.

Edited by Mc_Gregor

I'm guessing you're referring to the large amount of accuracy on the supercommando gear, not the amount of aim.

I swapped out all of the enhancements on my columi gear that give +40 accuracy for the daily mission rewards that give +39 shield/absorption rating. Eventually, if you can get enough helmets (or gloves) that have +45 shield rating enhancements on them, and pull those out to put in the other gear pieces, that's the best path to go with.

I'm guessing you're referring to the large amount of accuracy on the supercommando gear, not the amount of aim.

I swapped out all of the enhancements on my columi gear that give +40 accuracy for the daily mission rewards that give +39 shield/absorption rating. Eventually, if you can get enough helmets (or gloves) that have +45 shield rating enhancements on them, and pull those out to put in the other gear pieces, that's the best path to go with.

I am in full T2 supercommando right now and was saving up comms for a second t3 implant, should I go ahead and spend the comms on replacing all the accuracy stuff in my armor first in your oppinion? Thanks

I am in full T2 supercommando right now and was saving up comms for a second t3 implant, should I go ahead and spend the comms on replacing all the accuracy stuff in my armor first in your oppinion? Thanks

The accuracy on supercommando gear comes from the enhancement slot, which you cant buy with daily commendations - so no, go ahead and spend the daily comms on your implant or earpiece.

To replace the enhancement slots on that supercommando gear, you need to do the heroic 2+ daily mission on Ilum.

Ok thanks that makes it even better. I have a few of them in my old orange gear already.

Edig: Ok put those mods in my cheslt and legs so far, ill have to do boots after todays dailies.

sitting at

20749 hp

8098 Armor Rating.

51.85% Damage Reduction

15.97% Defense Chance

45.30% Shield Chance

33.46% Shield Absorbtion

Edited by Teche

@Tenacity:

Well, all my years in mmo's always stressed armor and hp, and resists (if it has it) to maximize survival. Hence why I went after the end boost when I saw it. Looking at the hits I am taking in hard modes, the extra ~500 health it provides me isn't really worth those three skill points afterall. So I respecced to add the 8% to rocket punch, and the 8% to ion cylinder damage. Was worth every cred I spent, better dps and threat generation for sure. Just wish I had logs to parse to compare it and see how much it is boosted.

@Tenacity:

Well, all my years in mmo's always stressed armor and hp, and resists (if it has it) to maximize survival. Hence why I went after the end boost when I saw it. Looking at the hits I am taking in hard modes, the extra ~500 health it provides me isn't really worth those three skill points afterall. So I respecced to add the 8% to rocket punch, and the 8% to ion cylinder damage. Was worth every cred I spent, better dps and threat generation for sure. Just wish I had logs to parse to compare it and see how much it is boosted.

Good man.

One thing that does bother me... Why the hell does the Columi Belt give Absorb then the Rakata switches it for Defense? Come on BW ***!

Well, the rakata belt is crafted, which means it can be crit crafted, giving it an augment slot that you can stat for absorption or shield rating =P

I agree completely.

My regular DPS friends love my updated "Rocketboy" build, btw. A sniper bud even commented the other day about "the crazy dps you do as a tank". Made me feel warm and fuzzy.. then I dumped heat and went back to slaying stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you are referring to the +defence and shield rating enhancements?

I have replaced my accuracy ones with those, but my absorption is way to low for my liking, its like at 34%. Also, I have used the +absorption rating modifications in place of the default ones where I can.

I'm finding it hard to bump up absorption without replacing shield rating. I think I'm at like 48% shield chance atm with that current set up.

EDIT: I'm planning to put some of the accuracy enhancements back into some of my armour as they have 20% absorption rating. Once I get my rakata implants, it should result in no loss to shield rating, a drop in defence and a boost to absorb.

Edited by Marb

I have replaced my accuracy ones with those, but my absorption is way to low for my liking, its like at 34%. Also, I have used the +absorption rating modifications in place of the default ones where I can.

I'm finding it hard to bump up absorption without replacing shield rating. I think I'm at like 48% shield chance atm with that current set up.

EDIT: I'm planning to put some of the accuracy enhancements back into some of my armour as they have 20% absorption rating. Once I get my rakata implants, it should result in no loss to shield rating, a drop in defence and a boost to absorb.

It can be worth it to keep say 2 of the normal accuracy enhancements from Rakata in your gear. At the moment I've changed them all to the +def+shield enhancement from Columi gloves/head and I'm seeing the same potential problem as you:

My shield chance is like 51% and Def 17%, But my Absorb is only about 36% and my accuracy has now dropped to about 103% (not a big deal)

However once I replace my 2nd columi Implant to Rakata aswell, thats another drop in accuracy. Though the accuracy really isn't as important as the rest.

As for the lack of absorb though - Tuesday night I saw a enchancement drop in EV nightmare: It was Rakata or Columi equivalent item-level I think, and it had Shield Chance and Absorbtion. It dropped from pylons, and I've only ever seen it that one time, so i don't know how often it drops. But if you can get your hands on 2-3 of them, and switch things around - it should work quite nicely, since you'd have a nice balance of Stats, hopefully boosting you to around:

Def: 16%

Shield: 50%

Absorb: 40%

Not sure exactly until I actually get some of the enhancements though :p

A shameless bumb cause this thread is full of good info, and a question.

I'm looking for new to HM stat recomendation. i've seen guided and all that which is no problem, but never seen anything about "as a powertech you want ##SA ##SR ##DR to run BT HM"

currently i have 49% SR, 49% SA and 49% DR with 16.7k self buffed HP. still have few blue/underlvl items (41 implant) but most of my gear is full of daily stuff (thanks for the help on finding mods/enchancements).

now, is there a post that i missed or a site i can visit that gives that information or just trial and error. guild is mainly into pvp so pugging will have to do, but i want to make sure i'm where i should be mitigation/hp wise.

A shameless bumb cause this thread is full of good info, and a question.

I'm looking for new to HM stat recomendation. i've seen guided and all that which is no problem, but never seen anything about "as a powertech you want ##SA ##SR ##DR to run BT HM"

currently i have 49% SR, 49% SA and 49% DR with 16.7k self buffed HP. still have few blue/underlvl items (41 implant) but most of my gear is full of daily stuff (thanks for the help on finding mods/enchancements).

now, is there a post that i missed or a site i can visit that gives that information or just trial and error. guild is mainly into pvp so pugging will have to do, but i want to make sure i'm where i should be mitigation/hp wise.

Your stats are fine for any HM flashpoint. Not sure how your SR and SA are so high already though. Im in full Rakata with only 2-3 mods that have accuracy over shield rating atm. My SR is like 47-48 and SA is around 46-47. Defense chance is only 14%. Although I have 23k hitpoints and over 8k armor.