Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

I am looking for some advice regarding graphics cards.

I'm looking to purchase a graphics card so i can crack on with playing. i currently have on board graphics with shared memory which is pants.

So i am looking to spend around £60 - £90 and need some advice on what will give the best performance? i have been looking at a RADEON 6770 HD 1GB DDR5, now i don't know if there is much difference between say POWERCOLOR or SAPHIRE or XFX etc?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys

Hey guys, Will this computer efficiently run this game?

Specs:

Processor

AMD Phenom™ II X2 (B57)

AMD Athlon™ II X2 (250)

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 32-bit, English, No Media

Memory

Up to 4GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 2 DIMMS

Chipset

AMD 785G

Video Card

Integrated Video, DisplayPort/ VGA

256MB ATI RADEON HD 3450 (2 DVI /2 VGA/1 TV-out), Low Profile

Hard Drive

Up to 250GB5 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)

Connectivity

Integrated Broadcom 5761 Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000

Optional Broadcom® 1505 PCIe WLAN card (802.11 N)

Hey guys, Will this computer efficiently run this game?

Specs:

Processor

AMD Phenom™ II X2 (B57)

AMD Athlon™ II X2 (250)

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 32-bit, English, No Media

Memory

Up to 4GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 2 DIMMS

Chipset

AMD 785G

Video Card

Integrated Video, DisplayPort/ VGA

256MB ATI RADEON HD 3450 (2 DVI /2 VGA/1 TV-out), Low Profile

Hard Drive

Up to 250GB5 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)

Connectivity

Integrated Broadcom 5761 Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000

Optional Broadcom® 1505 PCIe WLAN card (802.11 N)

Efficiently no

Hi All

I am looking for some advice regarding graphics cards.

I'm looking to purchase a graphics card so i can crack on with playing. i currently have on board graphics with shared memory which is pants.

So i am looking to spend around £60 - £90 and need some advice on what will give the best performance? i have been looking at a RADEON 6770 HD 1GB DDR5, now i don't know if there is much difference between say POWERCOLOR or SAPHIRE or XFX etc?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys

Look at the very first post in this thread there is a very informative link there take a bit and read that

Hello all. I'm looking for a bit of advice as to what steps I should take to upgrade my computer. I get such terrible fps at times that I feel it's time for me to upgrade. The fps issues are usually when I do flashpoints and warzones, but occasionally happen for no reason when I'm just questing.

Current Specs

Motherboard - ASUS M2N68 AM SE2

CPU - AMD Athlon 7550 Dualcore 2.50GHz

RAM - 2068MBx2 G.SKILL DDR2-1066

Vid Card - EVGA Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

From what I can tell, the problem doesn't lie with the vid card, but with the motherboard/cpu. So I was thinking of getting the following, to use with the 550 Ti. (Not sure if I can post links or not, so if it's not allowed, I apologize beforehand)

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130583

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115074

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231497

Would these upgrades end my fps issues? Would there be better options (Not too pricey, kind of on a budget) than these? Thanks for any help ahead of time.

I am having some troubles with FPS while playing The Old Republic. Sometimes (mostly in Warzones) I can not even play at all due to the FPS. When I am questing I have experienced some lag aswell. The strange thing is that occasionally my FPS can be above 80-100 (Without Vertical Sync ofc).

I would like to know what is causing my FPS problems.

Here are my specs

Processor - AMD Athlon X2 245 processor 2.9 GHz

RAM - 2048 MB

Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Thank you!

PS: What you are doing is very kind, sharing your knowledge and helping ALOT of people.

I am having some troubles with FPS while playing The Old Republic. Sometimes (mostly in Warzones) I can not even play at all due to the FPS. When I am questing I have experienced some lag aswell. The strange thing is that occasionally my FPS can be above 80-100 (Without Vertical Sync ofc).

I would like to know what is causing my FPS problems.

Here are my specs

Processor - AMD Athlon X2 245 processor 2.9 GHz

RAM - 2048 MB

Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Thank you!

PS: What you are doing is very kind, sharing your knowledge and helping ALOT of people.

Also what do you suggest I upgrade for maximum performance in Swtor?

From what others have said, upgrading to 4+ GB of RAM should make a difference (as would upgrading the GPU, of course).

Edited by daemian

Hello all. I'm looking for a bit of advice as to what steps I should take to upgrade my computer. I get such terrible fps at times that I feel it's time for me to upgrade. The fps issues are usually when I do flashpoints and warzones, but occasionally happen for no reason when I'm just questing.

Current Specs

Motherboard - ASUS M2N68 AM SE2

CPU - AMD Athlon 7550 Dualcore 2.50GHz

RAM - 2068MBx2 G.SKILL DDR2-1066

Vid Card - EVGA Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

From what I can tell, the problem doesn't lie with the vid card, but with the motherboard/cpu. So I was thinking of getting the following, to use with the 550 Ti. (Not sure if I can post links or not, so if it's not allowed, I apologize beforehand)

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130583

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115074

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231497

Would these upgrades end my fps issues? Would there be better options (Not too pricey, kind of on a budget) than these? Thanks for any help ahead of time.

550ti is great your problem is your 2gb ddr2 ram and your cpu

1st of all your ram is low for the biggest improvement I would advise going to 4gb ram. Keep in mind that you will need a 64 bit operating system for your computer to recognize your 4gb ram and vid card ram. 32bit windows can only see 3.5 gb of ram. Also if you are using win vista or 7 you can upgrade to 64 with your current windows key.

After that I would upgrade to a quad core cpu.

Hello. I would like some help. I have a gateway GT5622, Iv dowlnaded the game and i can log in. but as soon as i cklick the play button my screen goes black like its loading than takes me back to my home screen. I have tried everything the swtor help people have told me to try, and am seeing no results. the only thing that dosent meet standards in my processor which is 1.8 GHz and the minimum is 2GHz. but that shouldnt stop the game from running.

Plz help in any way and thanks.

Right then, I would like to hear what is the MINIMUM recommended hardware a PC requires to run Warzones without lag. Personally, I run everything on max graphics but warzones KILL me, fps drops to next to nothing and it is basically unplayable.

Minimum Warzone hardware/software in order to run smoothly (with shadows disabled):

GPU:

CPU:

RAM:

I would dearly appreciate if someone could fill this in.

Hello. I would like some help. I have a gateway GT5622, Iv dowlnaded the game and i can log in. but as soon as i cklick the play button my screen goes black like its loading than takes me back to my home screen. I have tried everything the swtor help people have told me to try, and am seeing no results. the only thing that dosent meet standards in my processor which is 1.8 GHz and the minimum is 2GHz. but that shouldnt stop the game from running.

Plz help in any way and thanks.

If you're running the specs listed on the gateway page...

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014733R/1014733Rsp2.shtml

Then most likely it's your video card since it looks like its a very old built in card.

You probably need a dedicated card for this game, or maybe a high end processor with its own gpu (like a sandy bridge) to run this.

I would suggest a new system to be honest...but if that is not an option, try a video card and see if you can do anything with the processor speed. The machine seems to be pretty old (4gb max ddr2 ram, and a few other older pieces). It still can run a good portion of games..just swtor needs better than average hardware.

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1120 Desktop

•Intel Core i7-2600 processor - 3.40GHz, 8MB Cache

•8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory

•1TB SATA hard drive

•NVIDIA GeForce 530 Graphics - With 2GB DDR3 dedicated graphics memory

It should run swtor with no real issues that I see. Are you looking into high video settings though? Or just making sure the game runs pretty smoothly?

help - im experiencing intermitent "lag"

Nvidea geforce 9800gt (512mb ddr3)

i3 2.93 ghz processor

6gb ram ddr3

Could you explain what you mean by "lag"? It could be issues with your internet and not your system, or even an issue with SWTOR servers.

Is your version of windows seeing that 6gb of ram?

You could upgrade the video card. Based on your specs you're listing that seems to be something you could upgrade to something better for less than $100.

Right then, I would like to hear what is the MINIMUM recommended hardware a PC requires to run Warzones without lag. Personally, I run everything on max graphics but warzones KILL me, fps drops to next to nothing and it is basically unplayable.

Minimum Warzone hardware/software in order to run smoothly (with shadows disabled):

GPU:

CPU:

RAM:

I would dearly appreciate if someone could fill this in.

What are your system specs? If you're running something on max graphics with no issues except warzones, you may need to check with swtor support.

I would check to make sure you do some of the tricks that others have suggested in turning graphics preset to high, apply, then low, apply and then whatever you want and applying that. It has worked on many graphics lag and other issues before. Turning shadows off along with this may fix your problem.

I am curious what your specs are though.

Your system may not be able to run at the max settings.

Does this problem happen while questing or in very people busy areas such as the republic/imperial fleet?

Looking to get a laptop to run this game on the go. Will this do the trick?

Model: g6-1c45dx

AMD Dual-Core A4-3300M Accelerated Processor

AMD Radeon HD 6480G dedicated graphics.

4GB DDR3 SDRAM

If not I would love suggestions?

Looking at the specs listed at..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02996672

It looks like it'll run a ok on the go. Maybe not max settings, but not the bare min either though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.