Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh thats a shame...

I only need to upgrade the graphics card, but the PSU is 220W and the case is to small for anything bigger.

Yep, that's the downside to buying a slim or integrated PC like that. They tend not to be very upgradeable. That's why I've never suggested them for people who want to game.

Yep, that's the downside to buying a slim or integrated PC like that. They tend not to be very upgradeable. That's why I've never suggested them for people who want to game.

I totaly agree but my dad had paid for this one for me, so i couldnt exactly say no sorry, its not good enough lol

Hey All,

I have a question for you, maybe someone can help. I meet all the minimum req for game, and exceed the minimum on processor and vid card. However, I think I might have a memory issue even though I meet the minimum req. What I am referring to is a program on Windows PC'S called DEP, and or Data Execution Prevention.

Whenever I open SW TOR, I get past the opening movie, I am able to login, and then all the sudden SW:TOR has stopped working, Windows will notify you of a solution. After playing with this error for a while, I was able to assertain that my DEP keeps coming on and closing the program. For some reason DEP is saying that SW:TOR is using the memory in an irregular way?? I have tried to disable DEP for this exe files, launcher, swtor and ect, however it will not let me disable DEP for this game...

Is there a way to get around this and if I added memory to the PC would that help?

I am on a HP/Compaq Pavillion Slimline S3300f.

Let me know, and thanks for the help.

Aldatur

DEP is a function built into Windows to prevent a program overflowing its memory and putting executable code into places where it's not supposed to be. It's not a matter of how much memory you have. Try turning it off for all programs and see what that does.

I have an ACER Aspire X3400G, AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor, 3.1ghz, 4.5gb of RAM, running Windows Vista

however my video card is GeForce 9200.....and it is apparently the only thing holding me back from playing this game......Any ideas what video card i can get that will be PERFECT to fit inside my computer and actually work?

I have an ACER Aspire X3400G, AMD Athlon II X2 255 Processor, 3.1ghz, 4.5gb of RAM, running Windows Vista

however my video card is GeForce 9200.....and it is apparently the only thing holding me back from playing this game......Any ideas what video card i can get that will be PERFECT to fit inside my computer and actually work?

Check out this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-2.html

See im looking for a legit upgrade....i don't want to go out and buy something that does not fit in my computer...or something that is a minor upgrade....also something that works for my computer....

willing to spend like 100-170+

Want a real good video card that i will not have to worry about upgrading again.....or for some GREAT time...if you can find one that would work perfect and it costs more please explain how and why and i may pay more for the better one you mention...

Good Evening all and a Merry Christmas.

My son had SWTOR as a belated birthday present and after 3 days of launcher issues we got it running great and he has been chuffed to bits with it :D - Thanks Bioware, good show.

While playing this evening I believe he has "fried" the graphics card, if not completely then very soon to be so judging by the sound the fan was making:P

The dying card is an older xfx nvidia 8800gt, and my question is which cards are currently equivalent or recommended for SWTOR, but could really do with spending minimum cash if possible?

I had looked at the radeon 5570, is this likely to work and be similar performance, my lad said the graphics/game was fine till the fan went bad?

The 5570 can be had for around £40 in the UK if that helps anyone advise us?

All help gratefully received :D

Thanks

Mathess' Dad

Hey, so i was wondering if i need a new graphics card or something? When i run the game, it is smooth, and it is not laggy. I have all settings on low and shadows off. But its clipping so i can barley see my character sometimes. Like in WoW when you glitched and the screen was messed up. It is like that constantley when i move. Im not sure why this is happening, because like i said it is running smooth with no lag. Anyone have an idea? Thank you

HI, I'm currently running:

Intel® Core2 duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50 GHz processor

with an:

NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT SLI (2) GPU...

is my GPU completely outdated for this game?

I've changed the resolution down to 1024X768 and altered all graphics settings to "off" or "low" and I still maintain 30 FPS on my ship...10-20 in the populated areas...

Do I need an entirely new computer? Or just a GPU.

*yes, I'm aware this is a desktop forum but I looked for a longtime to find the laptop one and couldn't find it. Sorry for the inconvenience and please don't flame me for posting a laptop question here. I'm very disappointed after waiting for so long to play this awesome game and have it essentially unplayable past the starter areas :( *

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-8300/pd.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Will this PC run SWTOR on medium graphics, with reasonable fps? I'm willing to spend £70-100 to buy a new graphics card if needs be. If so, what card would thy tech gurus reccomend?

That computer should do nicely. I would personally choose either the nVidia 560ti or the AMD 6870 graphics cards.

Good Evening all and a Merry Christmas.

My son had SWTOR as a belated birthday present and after 3 days of launcher issues we got it running great and he has been chuffed to bits with it :D - Thanks Bioware, good show.

While playing this evening I believe he has "fried" the graphics card, if not completely then very soon to be so judging by the sound the fan was making:P

The dying card is an older xfx nvidia 8800gt, and my question is which cards are currently equivalent or recommended for SWTOR, but could really do with spending minimum cash if possible?

I had looked at the radeon 5570, is this likely to work and be similar performance, my lad said the graphics/game was fine till the fan went bad?

The 5570 can be had for around £40 in the UK if that helps anyone advise us?

All help gratefully received :D

Thanks

Mathess' Dad

If you're looking for a graphics card, check out this article and buy for whatever budget you have. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-2.html

Hey, so i was wondering if i need a new graphics card or something? When i run the game, it is smooth, and it is not laggy. I have all settings on low and shadows off. But its clipping so i can barley see my character sometimes. Like in WoW when you glitched and the screen was messed up. It is like that constantley when i move. Im not sure why this is happening, because like i said it is running smooth with no lag. Anyone have an idea? Thank you

Can you get us a screenshot or video to describe what you're seeing? I don't quite understand.

HI, I'm currently running:

Intel® Core2 duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50 GHz processor

with an:

NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT SLI (2) GPU...

is my GPU completely outdated for this game?

I've changed the resolution down to 1024X768 and altered all graphics settings to "off" or "low" and I still maintain 30 FPS on my ship...10-20 in the populated areas...

Do I need an entirely new computer? Or just a GPU.

*yes, I'm aware this is a desktop forum but I looked for a longtime to find the laptop one and couldn't find it. Sorry for the inconvenience and please don't flame me for posting a laptop question here. I'm very disappointed after waiting for so long to play this awesome game and have it essentially unplayable past the starter areas :( *

A single 8700M GT would be a little slow but SLI should be fast enough. Are you running in Fullscreen or windowed? If windowed, does it get faster in full screen? You might also want to wait for new drivers from nVidia to optimize SLI for this game.

I updated all my drivers, so everything is up to date. It's actually slower in full screen mode. I've even gone to the lengths of closing all processes through the task manager before opening the game and it's STILL **** fps. I don't understand.

In the past two weeks i've defragged twice, even gone to maxmyspeed.com to try to maximize my performance, and deleted all programs that aren't essential to my current lifestyle.. i.e. word, internet applications, and my anti-virus.

I've come to the point where I might be buying a new computer... but will a new GPU get me above 60 fps? When I go into PvP i get like 5 fps due to all the particle effects.. I just don't understand because I ran WoW pretty well, averaging 40-60 fps without all this effort i've put into trying to play SW:TOR :/

they're green.. and i have two of those 8700's in my comp.. still sitting on low fps with terrible resolution and low/off graphics settings.. game looks terrible like this and it's jumpy due to the fps... hard to play to the level i'd like.

edit*

am i missing something integral that's keeping my computer from functioning to its capabilities or is it just outdated?

Edited by TheAffynity

So im tempted to get some upgrades seeing im sure stuff will be going on sale after Christmas etc etc...

Basic run down

RAM- 4gb

CPU- AMD X2 250 Dual Core 3.01ghz

Card- 9800GT 1gb OC

OS- Vista 64-bit (yea I know...)

Im kinda wondering what (on a budget) would be the easiest to upgrade and what should be upgraded first basically.

I can't draw any conclusions without more information. Is your brother running a lower resolution? Does he have a different brand of video card from you? Are all of the other graphics settings the same? Note that there is a bug where sometimes the graphics settings in game show "low" when they're actually medium or high.

He uses the same Ati radeon graphics card, but a 5770.

I changed the setting to fit just like mine including the bloom and gamma settings. It was all on high. :s Maybe something to do with the processor speed?

Hey all, i've came to a slight problem with my computer.

On several occasions my game has started freaking out, like the entire body for a person would be white sometimes and that the screen would flicker franticly.

But worst was tonight i had logged on and changed my TV setting to digital so i could watch tv while it loaded and then once i came back to the HDMI to play my game, the screen was black with green, blue and red all over.

(this is what i got from dxdiag)

Operating System : Windows Vista Home premium 32bit(still service pack 1 as i cleaned out my computer)

CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5800+ (2CPU's)

RAM : 4Gb

GPU(s) : Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

got DirectX10 as well.

My mind is telling me perhaps its over heating but im not tech savvy when it comes to this. If i missed any information please ask and ill reply with it.

EDIT: would be could if i entered my question, What would you say is the problem of this and does it mean i need to upgrade a part?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Stiflerz

Ok i have been playing SWTOR on the lowest setting possible and the game still looks nice but i would rather have the framerate go up instead of my 10-30 FPS.

I will look into other cards but i was going to post these two cards and maybe you guys can give me an idea of what ones is better.

Or you can link me a better card. The card has to be Low Profile and have a PCI Express 2.0. My budget atm is $50.00 and the current ****** card i am using is a Radion x1300/1500.

I also have an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 4400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150558

$ 39.99

$05.99 S&H

$19.99 Mail in Rebate

Total: $25.99

Low Profile Ready

Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16

Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA

GPU GeForce 8400 GS

Core Clock 589MHz

Effective Memory Clock 1066MHz

Memory Size 1GB

Memory Interface 64-bit

Memory Type DDR3

RAMDAC 400 Mhz

Cooling Fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150557

$34.99

$02.99 S&H

No Rebate

Total: $37.98

Low Profile Ready

No Low Profile Bracket

Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16

Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA

GPU GeForce 210

Core Clock 589MHz

Shader Clock 1402MHz (NOT SURE WHAT THIS DOES)

Stream Processors 16 (NOT SURE WHAT THIS DOES)

Effective Memory Clock 1066MHz

Memory Size 1GB

Memory Interface64-bit

Memory Type DDR3

RAMDAC 400 Mhz

Cooling Fan

have to get a new computer so i can play and im not sure what is better

a quad core 2.2 ghz with 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

or a quad core 3.2 ghz with 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz

not sure if the higher ghz processor is better with the lower Fsb or if i should get the lower smaller one with a higher fsb

have to get a new computer so i can play and im not sure what is better

a quad core 2.2 ghz with 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

or a quad core 3.2 ghz with 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz

not sure if the higher ghz processor is better with the lower Fsb or if i should get the lower smaller one with a higher fsb

anyone?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.