Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

Here's what I run and I play lots of online games with no problems. BF3, CoD alll of them:D

Alienware Area 51 x58

Intel Core i7-920 @2.66 GHz

12 GB DDR3 SDRAM @1066MHz

Vista 64 bit Home Premium

300GB Velociraptor sata 3.0 Gb/s 10,000rpm

Logitech G19 Keyboard

Logitech G700 Mouse

Alienware 23" 3d Monitor

Dell 24" Monitor

nVidia 3d Vision

EVGA SC GTX 580

Internet is 60mg down and 5mg up:D

Everything runs smooth at 100 average FPS at high settings.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see my dads system is:

AMD Athlon 7750 Dual core processor.

4 GB ram.

Nvidia Geforece 9400.

And that runs it really well, i didnt think it was that different from mine :S

You might just be facing the problem many are facing, even with very high end rigs. People with GTX 580's get unplayable framerates for an unknown reason. Try Nvidia's website for drivers, if you haven't already attempted to upgrade your drivers. It's either that or your card/processor is defective and isn't running at what it should be. I personally had the problem with having a high end gaming system that was getting terrible framerates, had to switch to older drivers to get it to work during beta and now I had to switch back to most recent drivers. It's a crapshoot, but that's my best bet.

Here's what I run and I play lots of online games with no problems. BF3, CoD alll of them:D

Alienware Area 51 x58

Intel Core i7-920 @2.66 GHz

12 GB DDR3 SDRAM @1066MHz

Vista 64 bit Home Premium

300GB Velociraptor sata 3.0 Gb/s 10,000rpm

Logitech G19 Keyboard

Logitech G700 Mouse

Alienware 23" 3d Monitor

Dell 24" Monitor

nVidia 3d Vision

EVGA SC GTX 580

Internet is 60mg down and 5mg up:D

Everything runs smooth at 100 average FPS at high settings.

Have you ever considered overclocking the CPU? You would see some noticeable results in games like BF3 and would be able to run AA and MSAF higher, makes the game look somewhat better :)

so what your saying is roll back my drivers till one of them works?

Yup, if you're at the most recent 285.58, try rolling back to 275. If that doesn't work than it's either wait it out and see if a fix for the FPS issue is made or upgrade the card.

I am running 2 sli 8800gts with a 8800gt dedicated for physics. I have a solid state HD for Win7 and a seperate striped array running 2 10,000rpm 16mb cache HD's and a separate single 10,000rpm drive for a swap file. CPU is a quad 2.4 intel with 6gigs of ram.

My problem is I can have the game on high graphics running 1280 by 1024, with no shadows. It runs good. Draw distance is maxed etc. having shadows causes me lag. When I preview an item from the store or just my toon in general it looks "muddy". Story line quests look good when they are talking. It is just when I am running around. It just seems to me the graphics should have more "pop". Is my graphic cards getting old? I ran a test to see if I could run the new batman and it was saying I needed better graphic cards. Is it time to upgrade? If so should I rip out all three cards and go with one big power house?

What card should I go with? I have liked nvidia for a long time. Thanks for the input.

I am running 2 sli 8800gts with a 8800gt dedicated for physics. I have a solid state HD for Win7 and a seperate striped array running 2 10,000rpm 16mb cache HD's and a separate single 10,000rpm drive for a swap file. CPU is a quad 2.4 intel with 6gigs of ram.

My problem is I can have the game on high graphics running 1280 by 1024, with no shadows. It runs good. Draw distance is maxed etc. having shadows causes me lag. When I preview an item from the store or just my toon in general it looks "muddy". Story line quests look good when they are talking. It is just when I am running around. It just seems to me the graphics should have more "pop". Is my graphic cards getting old? I ran a test to see if I could run the new batman and it was saying I needed better graphic cards. Is it time to upgrade? If so should I rip out all three cards and go with one big power house?

What card should I go with? I have liked nvidia for a long time. Thanks for the input.

What's your budget? Apparently from what I've read, SWTOR doesn't utilize SLI, some say it works great others say they only get the power from one card.

Currently running on x2 560 ti...and I want my graphics to match up to the screenshots, I should have no issue with that. I'm running nvidia inspector and I have AA on 8x super sampling on 4 and Anisotropic filtering on Off(Linear) and LOD on allow, I'm sitting on 60-80 FPS with all ingame graphic settings on HIGH. I want the graphics to look like the screenshots, in the screenshots they look really smooth and the texture is great.

What's your budget? Apparently from what I've read, SWTOR doesn't utilize SLI, some say it works great others say they only get the power from one card.

I am one of those people that will spend big bucks so I don't have to jack with it again for 4 or 5 years. My pc now is that old. I of course put win 7 on it when it came out. So if it costs me 500 bucks for the best then so be it. My main goal is I want everything I can get visually from this game with no lag and no "late" rendering. Meaning I don't want to see muddy graphics in a quest then the "real" armor shows up a sec later.

Can the armor in game when not in a voice over look as good as it does during the movie voice overs? I want to preview the battle master armor and be wowed. Right now it's just muddy

I am one of those people that will spend big bucks so I don't have to jack with it again for 4 or 5 years. My pc now is that old. I of course put win 7 on it when it came out. So if it costs me 500 bucks for the best then so be it. My main goal is I want everything I can get visually from this game with no lag and no "late" rendering. Meaning I don't want to see muddy graphics in a quest then the "real" armor shows up a sec later.

Can the armor in game when not in a voice over look as good as it does during the movie voice overs? I want to preview the battle master armor and be wowed. Right now it's just muddy

If you want to upgrade the CPU and GPU, an i5 2500k Sandy Bridge is a great, easily overclockable processor that performs as well as any processor for gaming when overclocked, and it's stock speed is much more than enough for this game. That and an either GTX 570 (Which would add to about 500$) would be enough to run this game at everything maxed, always over 60 fps. You have two bigger and better options in the GTX 580 which is $500, or the GTX 590, all three being serious overkill for this game, but they should last for quite some time, especially if you go with the GTX 580 or GTX 590. Both are pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for, and with the 2500k, with air cooling you can push over 4 gHz, I use to have one myself.

So TL;DR the 570 is a very viable option especially for TOR, but the 580 ($500) will last longer in the future generations to come.

Hi, Currently I am running 2x Radeon 4870 HD's with a crossfire connection setup. Ever since i set up this connection, the in-game graphics appear with fine lines all across the screen. If I move my mouse around and set it to a certain view, the screen clears up but otherwise i have to play with lines all across my screen. Originally I only had 1 video card in-place and the game was running perfectly fine, however since i got a second card and setup the crossfire connection, the graphics have gotten better but the lines seem to appear everywhere.

The lines across the screen are not present 100% of the time. In some places the game runs perfectly fine, however on most planets and such the graphics appear with lines all across.

Is there a setting or something that I should change or is a crossfire connection not compatible with this game?

Have you ever considered overclocking the CPU? You would see some noticeable results in games like BF3 and would be able to run AA and MSAF higher, makes the game look somewhat better :)

I have considered overclocking, but I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" person. Since everything runs really well on high graphics already... But I'm sure if I did that, I would get a good performance boost. Darn, now you have me thinking.........:confused:

Case: Enlight Black ATX Mid Tower, 92mm Fan, USB 2.0, HD audio

Power Supply: 650w PSU 14cm fan w/Retail Package Black

AMD Motherboard Options: Asus M5A97 Desktop Motherboard - AMD - Socket AM3+

Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Options: Corsair CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 DDR3 RAM Module - 4 GB (1 x 4 GB)

AMD CPU Options: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-core 955 3.2GHz Processor 3.2GHz - 4000MHz HT - 2MB L2 - 6MB L3 - Socket AM3

PCI Express Video Card: XFX HD-645X-ZNH2 Radeon HD 6450 625 MHz Core - 1 GB

SATA Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500 GB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Optical Drive: LiteOn 24X iHAS124 DVD-Writer - Black - Internal Bulk

I plan on making this desktop, how would it work for SWTOR and i only plan on playing on medium or somewhat high. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hey everyone, I am running a AMD Radeon HD 6450 and it handles the game well except when I am in small places like when you go into a house or like a cave. I am thinking my only option is to get a new video card but all the good ones use PCI express 2.0 and my motherboard does not have any of those slots. So anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my gameplay because sometimes its just horrible even going into a room. Like I said outside it runs fine besides a lag here and there.

Hey all... so my fps is around 2 when I am in buildings (everything is fine when I am outside) when playing the game which makes it pretty much unplayable. I have put everything to low and turned things like shadows off. Is this ever going to change for me or should I just wait until I can get a new computer to play SWTOR? Is there anything Bioware can do to fix this in the near future, or do I just have a bad computer (I mean its over three years old so I know it kinda sucks). I was able to play WOW fine however...

Here are my specs and thanks!:

Processor: Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz

RAM: 4.0 GB

windows 7 32-bit

video : NVIDIA Quadro FX 360M

Hello!

Alright so my question is (somewhat?) complicated. I have a number of graphical and frame rate problems that make it impossible to create an character, much less play TOR. And all my hardware is at or above the minimum required to play the game, except for I think my graphics card. Now I'm running an NVIDIA Geforce 6150 SE nforce 430, which I assume is far below the min. required NIVIDIA 7800. So my question is: Are the problems I'm experiencing graphics card related? If so what card can I purchase to make the game playable? Not incredibly detailed or anything, just... playable.

I'm running windows vista on an Inspiron 531S with an AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ if it helps.

Thanks for your time!

Edited by My_True_Self

I'm going to get a new cheap gaming rig just for this game, I used to play on my laptop (pretty decent not bad) but I'm playing SWTOR with 10-30 fps and its not acceptable. And I need serious advice what should I get, I have a budget of 600$ (sadly), and is it possible to get a gaming rig with that money?

Hey all... so my fps is around 2 when I am in buildings (everything is fine when I am outside) when playing the game which makes it pretty much unplayable. I have put everything to low and turned things like shadows off. Is this ever going to change for me or should I just wait until I can get a new computer to play SWTOR? Is there anything Bioware can do to fix this in the near future, or do I just have a bad computer (I mean its over three years old so I know it kinda sucks). I was able to play WOW fine however...

Here are my specs and thanks!:

Processor: Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz

windows 7 32-bit

video : NVIDIA Quadro FX 360M

And I'm having exactly the same problem with my laptop, 30 or more outside it drops to 10 when I'm inside a building (even it's only 1 freaking room)

My laptop's specs:

Processor: Intel ® Core 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz

Windows Vista 32-bit

Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (2GB-Shared)

Edited by BloodyheadRamson

I need to know what graphics card you would suggest to install with my computer specs listed below.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 511 3.4 GHz

RAM: 5 GB

Windows 7 64-Bit

Video: ATI Radeon HD 4200

Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02628426&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usens-001&lang=en&lc=en&product=5049522#N361

I was looking at this card to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150583

Thanks

Edited by Eroyz