SWTOR Ironman Challenge

Utherius

So I was reading up on mmo-champion about a group of WoW players who do a hardcore sort of alt leveling and are calling it the ironman challenge. I read up on it and am going to try doing this with SWTOR. You can read over the blue post or I have a list of the rules up on a blog im using to keep updated on my progress.

If anyone else out there has started something like this i'd love to hear about it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Companion would make it easier but with all the elites in this game I can't see this happening.

SWTOR leveling is also much "harder" than WoW leveling, and I would know being an Altoholic who capped every class in WOTLK and Cataclysm and being legacy 25 here >_>

Sadly without an armory to track they don't. But I actually want to do this so people have to take my word. It is giving me a challenge to leveling an alt (Which I usually hate to do).

As far as elites and such go, i'm planning on skipping any and all quests once im past getting my ship for that exact reason. Elites are a pain in the *** and without a companion I can't see myself doing it. Until then, i'm just making sure i'm levels ahead of them.

No companions basically means, no quests and thus all grinding of the easy mobs on each planet over and over again.

Surely thats not ironman, rather simply bordom.

In this game companions are part of the character, the entire game is geared around it.

Maybe a fun idea if you take out the caveat of dying.

You will never do it with those conditions.

Well you would if all you did was farm over and over and over the standard peeps near the spaceport. You can go AFK and they might not manage to kill you.

Eh, part of grinding the mobs is finding a good place to grind and honestly going about it and having the willpower to push through just for the simple fact of doing it. Companions would be too much of a help. Mako is a personal healbot for instance. I'm putting walls in front of myself just to see if I can get over them.

As far as not dying, i've been able to get off Hutta (Playing BH) and to Dromand Kaas so far tonight. Took lots of LoS and running out of phases (and lots of 20hp wins) but i've done it.

Well you would if all you did was farm over and over and over the standard peeps near the spaceport. You can go AFK and they might not manage to kill you.

The problem is the amount of group mobs you have to deal with.

With minimal gear, no advanced abilities, and no companion... it's just not gonna happen.

I'm going to be skipping most of the storyline until i'm at a level of comfort with it simply for the fact that taking on elite mobs without any talents/ac/companion will be near impossible.

As far as the packs of mobs, I did think about that and how it is situated in SWTOR, hence me choosing a BH. Death From Above and Explosive Dart coupled with heavy armor. Making it through this so called "impossible" challenge is going to be part of the fun and motivation to keep going with this.

Also since my last post...my wife got me killed with distraction ; ; Back to level 3 on my reroll. I swear my guild is going to hate me by the time this is done.

I'm going to be skipping most of the storyline until i'm at a level of comfort with it simply for the fact that taking on elite mobs without any talents/ac/companion will be near impossible.

As far as the packs of mobs, I did think about that and how it is situated in SWTOR, hence me choosing a BH. Death From Above and Explosive Dart coupled with heavy armor. Making it through this so called "impossible" challenge is going to be part of the fun and motivation to keep going with this.

Also since my last post...my wife got me killed with distraction ; ; Back to level 3 on my reroll. I swear my guild is going to hate me by the time this is done.

I thought you weren't training skills?

I don't remember saying that, and looking over the post I made on the blog, either i'm blind or not seeing it. I do see **You may train and use all class skills.** However if I did, i'd gladly take it back. Any and all basic class skills will be trained. Assuming I can get the credits for them. I'm thinking it might be a little rough in the higher levels without the credits from quests.

I won't be choosing an AC (Hoping the game doesn't force me into one) but with all the other blocks i'm setting up for myself, I would rather not level 1-50 with rapid shots and missile blast.

I don't remember saying that, and looking over the post I made on the blog, either i'm blind or not seeing it. I do see **You may train and use all class skills.** However if I did, i'd gladly take it back. Any and all basic class skills will be trained. Assuming I can get the credits for them. I'm thinking it might be a little rough in the higher levels without the credits from quests.

I won't be choosing an AC (Hoping the game doesn't force me into one) but with all the other blocks i'm setting up for myself, I would rather not level 1-50 with rapid shots and missile blast.

Ah, sorry... I took number 4 on the list as a blanket statement... I see the line about class skill after the bags and mounts thing.

Good luck, though. You have a better chance with the class skills.

Thanks^^

Yeah again, part of the reason i'm starting with BH. Gotta prepare myself somehow. If I can get it done with BH I would definitely give other classes a shot. Just beyond the skills I play a BH main so I feel quite comfortable with the class.

I won't be choosing an AC (Hoping the game doesn't force me into one) but with all the other blocks I'm setting up for myself, I would rather not level 1-50 with rapid shots and missile blast.

It is possible to get a new skills and update on primary class. My 1st character because of my lack of knowledge as to where to get an advanced class made it to lvl 16 while getting a skill updates :)

It must be mentioned though, that a character in other mmorpg=character here plus a companion. So your challenge here will be more challenging then in WoW.

AS a replacement for a 1st aid you can train a biochem here.

Edited by Mironov

Good to know about the skills, thank you for that^^

Also yeah it's going to be harder without a companion and I know that some classes don't start off with a heal bot ready to go, but I want try to do this with just me.

As far as biochem, I have it on my main, it would make this far easier than I am looking for it to be^^

A couple things to consider:

No AC: This restriction should be removed. It isn't like WoW, where the different specs are the same class, different ACs are in some cases completely different. It's almost (not quite as bad, but in the same line) like saying in RIFT you can't use a soul, even though that's where all your abilities come from.

No Companion: What about during class quests? I don't know about Bounty Hunters, but Inquisitors have quite a few quests that require you have a specific companion to complete (Khem at the end of Chapter 1, Talos on Hoth).

Also, using a Bounty Hunter for large packs may give you some trouble, since most of your abilities have at least some AOE damage, which is going to make CCing things problematic.

I'm going to try to keep no AC so I have just the base class abilities. For instance with BH choosing PT/Merc is going to give me some form of CC or Healing. Also if I don't have CC, AoE won't be a problem^^

As far as class quests go, i'm going to avoid them like the plague. Elite mobs will rip me apart, a lot of this is going to be the endurance to get past the walls built up.

But for anyone else wanting to try something like this go ahead and follow what rules you want to^^ Already i've had tons more fun on Hutta than I ever have.

The biggest problem is going to be leveling. If you aren't doing many quests, you are going to get crap xp from killing normals and strongs, especially if you are overleveled. Unlike WoW, SWG, etc, etc. This game was not designed to be leveled by farming mobs. Edited by JerokTalram