How can you tell the health of a game

Saltydogg

LEts see three BW lackeys. Sorry to ruin your day but in 5 months you will see server mergers. In 2 years you will see two maybe 3 servers left. This is if the game remains setup in its current system. Sorry to give you the bad news, but this is what happens to MMO's that are created by companies who are pressured to release a game due to financial concerns

As far as Linguistics goes. I wrote this little note at 3 am. Sorry if I can be perfect 24/7

Not ruining my day at all. Now, I'm not into PvP so I can't speak to your apparent area of expertise. What I can speak to is the plethora of stuff there is to do outside of PvP. So I'll address your OP comments in a less nebulous fashion this time. If I offended earlier I apologize.

My money is on server transfers fixing much of the population imbalance issues within 3 months, and any logical server merge won't happen until that cycle is completed. I log into the PTS every couple of days in anticipation of helping test the server transfer function once it's patched in. PTS testing of this function is expected to begin shortly. BW is getting stuff done, just not with the alacrity one might associate with microwaving a TV dinner.

I found your take on the endless stream of people playing WoW in almost every zone when it first came out a bit - revisionist. WoW was more of a WIP after a year than SWTOR is now. Players congregating for quest mobs were common because the mobs were either disappearing, evading or crashing players to their desktops. What some either don't remember, choose to forget, or pretend they were there and simply don't know is that Blizz changed WoW's graphics and animation engine two months before release. Talk about an unfinished product? The crashes and buggy combat mechanics it caused didn't finally get fixed until an overhauled front end was patched in a year after release. WoW had zero endgame for 14 months until patch 1.9 added AQ, and it shipped with zero PvP warzones (BGs). Gurubashi was added a month after launch, and AV and WG BGs weren't patched in until 7 months after release.

TOR's player base is anything but unhealthy. Are there players unsubbing? Yup. Are there new players subbing? Yup. 500,000 subs being recycled in the first few months (merely my gut feel - no figures to support it) is the nature of the major MMO beast and won't significantly impact the remaining 65% of subs who have integrated themselves into the franchise. Unless BioWare somehow guts TOR into a complete WoW clone, 3 million active North American, EU and AU subs by Christmas is realistic. TOR's core player base has already been established and will continue to be the focus of BW's "quality of life" development efforts.

I have toons on 2 servers - Mask of Nihilus (an original PVE server from opening day of early access) and Lord Leldis (a RP server that was later added.) Mask of Nihilus has anywhere from 60 to 100 imp players at peak in the various leveling zones and close to 200 at fleet. The republic side has less, about 75% of those numbers on average. Both have been growing slowly but steadily since early access. A newer Lord Leldis' numbers are maybe 20ish% less than Nihilus. It too is seeing an increase in players online, at least during peak.

To have the lower level player base start putting together what is driving them to unsub as you suggest would be a waste of their time because they're too busy playing the game. No one is being "driven" away. However, many of those who have chosen to leave (and aren't new to the MMO experience) either brought baggage with them from other games, or have a greater preference for power-leveling click 'n go ilevel supremacy systems that do their social networking for them. "TOR isn't a true MMO without this" or "It doesn't stand a chance without that." Kids can be adorable sometimes.

Flipping that coin over, what other game provides every single class with a stable of NPC fighting companions that not only clears bag space by vendoring trash in the field, but can be assigned individually or in teams to farm for crafting mats and craft multiple items concurrently while the player plays the game?

Ya know, thank you. This all brought a great thing to light. I think I might fire up a thread about what SWTOR has that other games don't.

Cheers! :)

Edited by GalacticKegger

LOL no thats just when I wrote the post. At 11 pm there was very little to no WZ's, the total population on the Republic fleet was 43 and like I said before I was planet hopping to find some action but there was nothing.

hahaha thats embarrassing to think you are on a high pop

shii-cho is only standard and we have warzones till 3/4 in the morning...

and its a pve server

/facepalm

are you sure you even know how to que up? cause you are doing something completely wrong