The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How well can Powertechs DPS?

Murdurus

I was wondering how well a powertech can DPS. I currently play an assassin but I find a powertech to be a bit more enjoyable to play but not sure if the DPS is viable in end-game raiding. Also, how is the DPS comparison between Pyrotech and Advanced Prototype? I was thinking of trying Advanced Prototype for raiding since I love the concept of using a flamethrower but not sure how it'll work out.

Subjective between classes without Parser.

AP and Pyro comes down to one main thing.

How comfortable are you at managing your heat?

If you are not good at it, Pyro is not the spec for you as it relies on procs to manage it's heat most effectively and awareness of what to do when you aren't getting the proper procs. If you can manage that you'll provide the highest damage for our class.

AP is lower damage, but for players,again that can't manage heat, in a PvE environment they'll do a little better as there is passive venting with that spec.

Edited by exphryl

Understandably, I know that there is not definitive answer on who is dealing more damage on our end. However, what I want to know is the damage significantly lower than say an assassin or merc or whatever else because that is easier to tell. I appreciate the replies.

PTs are some of the best DPSers in the game if spec'd Pyrotech. In the Council fight in HM EV as Pyrotech I consistently beat marauders and sorcs wearing comparable gear by a few seconds.

If you don't know what that fight is, short story is that everybody has to fight their own individual boss, and all DPS in the raid fight a mob with the exact same amount of health/defenses. As a Pyrotech PT I don't think I've ever had anybody beat me yet at taking these mobs down, I always kill my mob before any other DPS, and we're all similarly geared ftr.

Powertechs can bring srsface dps if spec'd Pyrotech.

Edited by Mhak

PTs are some of the best DPSers in the game if spec'd Pyrotech. In the Council fight in HM EV as Pyrotech I consistently beat marauders and sorcs wearing comparable gear by a few seconds.

If you don't know what that fight is, short story is that everybody has to fight their own individual boss, and all DPS in the raid fight a mob with the exact same amount of health/defenses. As a Pyrotech PT I don't think I've ever had anybody beat me yet at taking these mobs down, I always kill my mob before any other DPS, and we're all similarly geared ftr.

Powertechs can bring srsface dps if spec'd Pyrotech.

Have you spec'ed Advanced Prototype and if so, how were the results in comparison?

Have you spec'ed Advanced Prototype and if so, how were the results in comparison?

Yes I've played both specs very much, and tested/compared them on the Council fight as well.

AP is hurting pretty bad right now. The damage is significantly lower than Pyrotech's. There's a lot of clamor to buff AP because it simply doesn't stack up in PvE or PvP to Pyrotech atm.

The slight gains in mobility and CD reduction you get for going AP do not compensate the substantial loss in both sustained and burst damage from not going Pyro. It's a fun spec and playstyle, but it was implemented poorly. It needs a good bit more damage and utility to compete with Pyro in PvP, and it will just flat out never compete with Pyro in PvE.

Edited by Mhak