A possible fix to world pvp. Thoughts?

Rischie

Anyways, I've been throwing this around with my guildies and they all have seemed to like the idea. Of course there are some flaws in it that would have to be addressed, but I just wanted to see what the pvp community thought about it.

Now i am personally a big fan of world pvp. Much more so then any battle ground pvp, and so when I heard about ilum i thought it would be great.

However we all know the continued problems with ilum, so before my system could even take effect, ilum would have to be addressed.

But my plan is as follows. Create objectives on each planet, like ilum has. They can all be different, and can be a zone off to the side.

Say for instances you have a section of Tatooine dedicated to just world pvp, where you have to capture something or do something similar to ilum. You do this for all the major planets.

How do you get people to go to them? Make it so that each day the daily changes. One day the mission will tell you to go to ilum and get 30 kills, the next day it may tell you to go to Tatooine and capture 20 turrets or something.

What this helps fix is the uselessness of each planet in pvp besides ilum. Lets face it, if you are a hardcore pvper you are either in ilum, or in a wz. All the other planets at endgame might as well not be there.

It also helps just by giving a change of scenery every day. Lets face it, ilum is a bland hoth rip off, and seeing it over and over every day is boring and contributes to the problem of making pvp more mundane. Just a simple thing of changing your environment would help people feel better about pvping. Ilum is cold and dark and otherwise depressing. No wonder no one wants to pvp there. Imagine fighting on Tatooine in the bright sand and hot sun.

If you have a different planet every day that you had to go to it would spice things up a bit. Lets also say that you hate going to Belsavis on the day that it rotates, well it doesn't become a big problem because the next day will be a different planet. I think most of us can agree Ilum sucks, but we do it anyway to get more valor.

Anyways this was just a thought I had, obviously it would take a massive amount of work by the dev team, because we are essentially having 5-8 more ilums spread across all the planets.

And it would also be necessary for them to fix ilum in the first place.

Anyways I would love to hear what you, the pvp community, think about it. Perhaps it may be something to push on the devs.

This is exactly something me and my guildies have been thinkin too. When you selected a PVP server it should have meant that too. It's sad to roam those empty planets by yourself. And people won't be there unless there is a catch for being there. Call it some turrets, or some outposts you can conquer. In my opinion Bioware should make every last attempt in this situation to keep the PVP players interested, and frankly, daily huttball suck huttballs even if they have no balls.... (Regarding that I have so much to say that I'll shut up and just don't play it).

And yes, I understand that if someone has played WoW for 8 years and is sick of someone attacking while collecting flowers.. But hey, you can choose not to in here.

Not that I am saying that the developers are looking too much through the glasses of infinite understanding of game creation... But it only takes some silly hats or titles to get players to play something. Usually statistics are enough. That shouldn't be too hard to create ;). Otherwise the dynamics and the gameplay are nice, allthough as a former Guild Wars player i think there are a lot of things to be learned from the PvP in that game.

But considering the idea of daily/weekly planets of PVP, I think it could be extremely fun. And yes, the powerlevelers and content gamers are gonna hate it, but hey, they only play those planets for few hours anyhow, and only then when they aren't in their PVE servers...

Huttball was cute the first 50 times... not so cute after the 500th time.

What can you really say about PvP in TOR? It's terrible. It's utterly uninspired. We can only assume it was a complete afterthought. Ilum looks like some 12 year old got ahold of the terrain creation tools!

There are countless good ideas on PvP just littering the forums of MMOs... and none of those ideas are found anywhere in TOR.

It's frustrating... it feels like there is this community of sucky idea-devoid developers... who have this perceived "MMO PvP experiece" that somehow makes them candidates to be involved with PvP in every new MMO... and they just bounce around from game to game tormenting every single PvP player that would like something new... which I think is just about ALL of us!

Edited by PhazeFadis

Ilum looks like some 12 year old got ahold of the terrain creation tools!

No freaking ways...

Ilum is a marvelously well done terrain.

The possibilities there are unlimited. I can't tell how many times we rained deaths on the imperials from ice cliffs and rocks.

How we contained them at this small crack opening at northeastern republic spawn.

How we keep our group on the high ground to keep the advantage of position to keep our hold against the twice more numerous horde of mindless zerging on us.

Ilum is wonderfull.

Factions imbalance and server instability is terrible.

It is a good idea, but I'm afraid they'd have to postpone it until bigger issues are fixed.. like you said, even Ilum isn't working in the first place.

Then they'd have to address low population and unbalanced factions..

But it is a good idea and I really think we need more PvP and "free" open world PvP.

They could throw in some form of PvP rating or minor cash loss to spice it up, as long as they implement mechanisms to make sure ganking and ganking lowbies doesn't work (release to bind upon death, kills counting only if the oppoents is within x lvls etc).

I think we could also use some community tools, starting from chat bubbles and up to cross faction communications: some of you who have only played WoW won't believe it (nothing against WoW, just saying WoW provides lots of content and is polished) but the community can make up for missing content in a game (and if the Devs are good, they will work on content in the meantime) and make it much better.

For example, in SWG of the old days there was no such thing as battlegrounds and certainly no arenas/warzones.

Yet player would organize guild wars, PvP events, PvP tournaments and so on.

That (and mostly player bounties, which I loved more than anything else) kept me busy for years on SWG and made me love not just the game, but the community so much that I could have kept playing for 10 years (then they did the NGE and the rest is history :/ ).

So there are easy solutions to improve the game, make it more appealing and above all, to add variety and build a community (it's quite important in a mmorpg).

With a little bit of effort, they could give us the tools to keep ourselves busy when we don't feel like playing Hutball yet again or running flashpoints/ops.

Illum would be good.... if the republic ever turned up... or at least grew a pair...

I dont even need to join an ops team. i know were the imps will b. they will be at the side of the pub base dragging one pub out at a time.....

dosent even matter if the pubs outnumber us... they break and run for safety everytime.

I am on a PVP server and it has queues to get in sometimes... therefore why is there so few people in illum?

COME TO ILLUM! have fun.... or get off the PVP server and get out of the queue

As EA has a stake in DAoC fixing Illum is easy, go take a look at DAoC have the devs play DAoC they rip it off in all most every way.

Do that and you have world PvP in the best way any one has done it. DAoC with a SWTOR theme is win with a GG