The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A little confused about a dark/light decision - The Mother Machine

Cartooon

I suppose this contains minor spoilers for inquisitors that havent passed belsavis.

Ok so when you enter the mother machine, the machines AI greets you. It says it will heal you if you first set it free from the machine. This gives darkside points. The alternative for light side points is to not set the machine free and force it to rebuild you using a key a rakata gave you previously.

I really dont understand the dark/light in this decision. Freeing a machine who begs you to help it escape is evil and forcing it to remain in the machine to aid a race who considers all other races to be their slaves regain their force powers is a light side choice.

I dont get it, even the sith ghosts within your body say its "machine with with fake emotion created by subroutines" and that you should force it to work for you. Yet thats the light side decision.

Am I missing a point here? Why is enslaving the machine good and freeing it evil?

Because the Infinite Empire doesn't exist anymore, so they can't exactly use her. But you can free her to create a new perfect life form to try to take over the galaxy. In a way, this is the most evil decision you get to make, but it probably won't go anywhere (though it would be cool if they put in a Flashpoint that could only be run if you had an Inquisitor who freed her where you have to fight her new creations).

The mother machine claims she will conquer the galaxy or something like that if you set it free right?

Sounds pretty evil to me.

Well she says that she wants to conquer all the rakata so that her "children" (ie every other race) will go free. Thats the impression I got anyway.

I felt a similar sense of confusion for a while upon encountering this particular choice. However, I believe the justification is rooted in the potential consequences of your actions. If you liberate the machine then you allow a super-powerful entity with unknown true intent to do as it wishes. Accordingly, you’ve demonstrated either a lack of care for the impact your actions have on the future or understand that you’re risking/actively wish to generate chaos.

Equally, the Rakata researchers haven’t succeeded in many thousands of years thus their capacity to use the machine for overarching ‘evil’ imperialistic purposes is minimal or non-existent. As a result, if you retain the constraints on the machine, there’s very little risk of a negative outcome for the planet and galaxy.

Conversely, the machine claims to have maternal instincts but may act in an incredibly callous manner due to its ultimate roots in cold logic (by virtue of being a computer), may create more life-forms that are a threat, or may be very aggressive in order to protect its ‘children,’ therefore there’s a far greater risk of a negative outcome for the planet or galaxy.

Naturally, this is a complete guess but it’s the only reasoning that seems to explain it for me. There may be other reasons that I simply missed. After all, I think ‘she’ generated a population of the rather militant creatures you encounter across Belsavis so imagine if she created something equally, or more, aggressive once restraints on her abilities are removed.

Edited by Sufran

I suppose this contains minor spoilers for inquisitors that havent passed belsavis.

Ok so when you enter the mother machine, the machines AI greets you. It says it will heal you if you first set it free from the machine. This gives darkside points. The alternative for light side points is to not set the machine free and force it to rebuild you using a key a rakata gave you previously.

I really dont understand the dark/light in this decision. Freeing a machine who begs you to help it escape is evil and forcing it to remain in the machine to aid a race who considers all other races to be their slaves regain their force powers is a light side choice.

I dont get it, even the sith ghosts within your body say its "machine with with fake emotion created by subroutines" and that you should force it to work for you. Yet thats the light side decision.

Am I missing a point here? Why is enslaving the machine good and freeing it evil?

She is pissed, has the power to create a perfect super race. Imagine if you gave Hitler the powers to create life.

#why this is a dark side choice.

• 1 year later...

I can remember the end of that quest caused me enough confusion to put in an in game report, made all the more notable because it was responded to in about 5 minutes.

It wasn't the Dark/Light awards for the first part of the quest though but the final part...

After being fixed by the Mother machine you get the choice to switch it off ending its enforced servitude to a dead empire and making sure it can't resurrect the Rakata (Dark Option) or you can leave it on with the chance that it can rebuild the Rakata empire with their desire to enslave all sentient beings (Light Option)

Not sure if it is still set up like that though, it was over a year ago when I ran my Sorcerer through that.

It's not the only questionable Light/Dark rewards, there are plenty on the Republic side as well...

Expose a corrupt official selling secrets to the Empire (Darkside), let them continue (Lightside)

And there are quite a few choices especially when playing through the Imperial side where instead of a Dark/Light choice you feel it should be a VeryDark/Dark choice ;)

Let us not forget the single most rediculous LS/DS decision int his game, that after 2 years still makes me laugh with the aburdity. You go get medpacks...giving it back tot he soldiers who are dying to fight the terrorists is DS, yet handing them over to a thief is LS.

So...lets reward the thief right? Because THAT makes sense right? Condemn soldiers that are there tof ight for the civilians to deathr ather than give them life saving medpacks is definately evil right?

Don't even point out the corruption int he ranks, for every corrupt soldier there are far more non-corrupt...and EVERY refugeee int he history fo the world has thought badly about the soldiers that are there to fight for them, because int he hsort term the civilian's lives are thrown into turmoil till the soldiers win.

So yeah...this decision is extremely foolish in the extreme.

You are freeing an entity with the power to rewrite life from any control, she could create anything, a lethal sentient virus perhaps, or a race of superbeing that will wipe out all other life. At the time the Rakata are not able to get her to do anything, but they are constraining her options, limiting what she can do. If you unleash her, remember you don't actually know anything about her as a person, then she could do anything, and you are not staying behind to see that she behaves.

Also you are not enslaving her, she is already enslaved, it's just leaving her with some limiting factors or totally unleashing her to do what she likes.

Let us not forget the single most rediculous LS/DS decision int his game, that after 2 years still makes me laugh with the aburdity. You go get medpacks...giving it back tot he soldiers who are dying to fight the terrorists is DS, yet handing them over to a thief is LS.

So...lets reward the thief right? Because THAT makes sense right? Condemn soldiers that are there tof ight for the civilians to deathr ather than give them life saving medpacks is definately evil right?

Don't even point out the corruption int he ranks, for every corrupt soldier there are far more non-corrupt...and EVERY refugeee int he history fo the world has thought badly about the soldiers that are there to fight for them, because int he hsort term the civilian's lives are thrown into turmoil till the soldiers win.

Again, you're making the common mistake that Dark/Light = Good/Evil.

They're not always the same. Actually, they often aren't even close.

Again, you're making the common mistake that Dark/Light = Good/Evil.

They're not always the same. Actually, they often aren't even close.

Perhaps in the case noted it has something to do with the fact that children are involved. In this particular case DS does seem to equal evil and LS, good. But as you and I both noted, this is not necessarily and definitely not always the case.

Edited by branmakmuffin

• 10 years later...
Posted (edited)

I know, it's been almost 10 years but reading this irks me :

Soldiers can procure medicine more easily. Refugees barely survive with whatever they can manage to find.
Soldiers choose to fight for a living. Refugees didn't choose to have their homes destroyed.

In this instance, helping the refugees and specifically because the life of children is in danger is absolutely a LS choice.

Edited by Holybell

I'm not sure what's funnier, the fact I remember this thread or that this might be the mother of all necro threads, at least any that I've read over the years, here or any other game. Impressive.