The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Patch Suggestion

Exilicus

/like

At least then we could plan around it.

. . . But what if (actually, that should be "when", not "if") the Thursday patch breaks things? Wouldn't they just pull short notice patches on Friday or Saturday? Hmm, I don't know if this would actually solve anything.

While not a bad idea, however I don't see how this is such a giant issue with sparadic patches. They start late/very late at night, and last a few hours (not usually the full time they say am i correct?) In the first couple months sparadic patching should be expected. But 6 months out they should be on a very different schedual.

Personally I think they should start these patches 1 hour later then they do, so people on the west coast can play some in the late hours (not an issue for me, an east coaster however).

Well Blizzard doesn't take their game down for now two days, actually no other mmos I've played do that. So why would Bioware need to do so? Oh because every time they release a patch they manage to break several other things in the process? Well that's a great ideal and all for them, but they really shouldn't need to, they should have their game plan together and be testing on those public test servers like they're intended for... But BW magically forgot they had those, so 2+days or more a week of maintenance for the next 6 months + excepted. :rolleyes:

The real problem isn't the sheer number of patches which are expected to be higher than a game which has had more time to stabilize but the length of time each patch takes. The illum debacle is a perfect example. The majority of the player base isn't on illum. The illum issue is gamebreaking for those that do play on it.

The solution isn't the fact that we have another hotfix. It's the massive length of the hotfix. 4 Hours is far longer than should be considered reasonable for such a small (yet important) fix. Even 1 hour is a bit excessive by modern MMO standards for such a simple fix. If it was servers down at midnight (pst) and up by (1am) I doubt the majority of non-illum players would have issue with this. It isn't the patch itself that is really the issue. It's the length of time lost.

Example: 16hrs of patches a week max equates to ~9% of the week's (168hr) available server time. If you play at the times maintenance is done and only average about 20 hours per week. (4hr * 5 days) then you lose roughly 80%. That's where the issues stem from. Realistically you'll still play at least 3 days so the estimate would be closer to 60% since the user will likely shift schedules in their personal life to accomodate a few changes. So only 2 of their 5 days would be lost. Like this week.

If server maintenance took 4 hours scheduled and 3 hotfixes @ 1 hour periods the max down time would be roughly 7 hours. Downtime would only represent 35% of the user's total time but would do something very significant. Most people could still play a partial day's worth on hotfix days rather than lose the entire day due to a 4 hour downtime. 4 hour downtimes usually mean many EU, AU, and late night US players lose their whole day's worth of time (due to their schedule). A 1 hour DT means only a partial loss 3 days (in a worse case, 4 patch week).

These are estimates designed to possibly further the conversation and hopefully get BioWare's attention. It's a pretty cool game to play but both sides are right on this issue. The solution isn't to favor either side but to limit DT as a whole.

Hope this is well received. And no... I don't have a level 50 toon. Just a level 34 jedi guardian who's never even PVP'd in this game but would like to. ;-)

If it means this game gets fixed and the bugs gets squashed.. I don't have issue with the down times.. If they want to hot fix the game to fix an exploit or a really bad bug that was discovered, it seem to me that people should be praising them for fixing it now instead of later..

Fixing this game should be every gamers priority.. Let them fix it.. :)