Commendations

Mishaman

Hi there,

So I just started doing missions on Alderaan and at this point my gear is almost exclusively moddable. I am pretty happy with the look.

What is more efficient, to buy entirely new legs and feet armor (just an example) using commendations or just get the best mods from commendation mods vendor and replace mods in the gear I already own ?

I am still alittle bit confused with gear in this game.

Thank you in advance.

If you like the look it could be worth sticking with. Personally though I've never used orange armor on any character. The mods the commendations can be spent on is usually outdated (too low for my current level) by the time I get to trade them in and I've found it to be easier to just get new gear instead of keeping track of mods.

Speaking of mods, I still havent found a good way to compare mods and whatnot, I always have to write stuff down for my weapon because the vendor window or GTN will close when I try to ctrl-right in the C-panel. It's simply to messy for me to keep track of 8 or so different things with mods.

My approach, AKA the lazy approach, has been to get my hands on purple gear around the mid to high 20's. Some will come with just one open slot which is manageable and the gear will usually last in its' static state a good ten levels. For instance, I used a commando helmet from lvl 28-42, I managed to loot a slightly better helmet at 42 but prior to that I hadnt been able to find a single superior one at vendors or on the GTN.

Speaking of mods, I still havent found a good way to compare mods and whatnot, I always have to write stuff down for my weapon because the vendor window or GTN will close when I try to ctrl-right in the C-panel. It's simply to messy for me to keep track of 8 or so different things with mods.

Preferences -> User Interface -> Tooltip -> Show Detailed Item Tooltip will display the individual mods in gear without going into the modification screen, which you might find helpful.

Preferences -> User Interface -> Tooltip -> Show Detailed Item Tooltip will display the individual mods in gear without going into the modification screen, which you might find helpful.

There's also an option to show a tooltip for your companion, which I find hugely helpful.

As pointed out above, it's slightly cheaper to buy loose mods than orange items with mods in them. There should be a 'modification' commendation vendor that sells them on each world, and they're duplicated on the fleet as well.

I also discuss this in my PvE guide (shameless plug, link in sig).