Gunnery vs Assault PVP

LordZym

What a freaking discussion and the people who shout the most got no clue about their class omg.

Hammer shot fires i dont know probably 4 to 6 shots never counted... ;) ? so let´s say 5 times 16%. I don´t think you need to be lucky inflicting your target.

Sadly Plasma Cell seems to be buggy as i just stated in the known issues thread. Only one target can be affected at the same time and the dot only makes 2/3 of the damage it should do. That it doesnt refresh on the same target isn´t a bug imho because if it would you could slow your target down the whole time to 50% movement speed. Would be way to overpowered.

To the Topic. Assault Spec isnt based around Charged Bolt it´s all based around Hammer Shot and DoT´s and mobility. But if you aren´t attacked it gets quite a nice boost due to the HiB CD refresh you get of CB and FA.

Likewise as you nicely stated the damage. Hammer Shot does 9% more damage to burning targets and Plasma Cell is a really nice addition. Managing your ammo correctly you can do really nice damage comparable to Gunnery Tree.

Edit: When you sum up HS + Plasma Cell Effect the damage is above the one of Grav Round. Thats without cost of any ammo and while being perfectly mobile ;)

I think i need to specc to Assault again. Just the buggy Plasma Cell keeps me still away to respec.

Hammer Shot hits 7 times. http://www.torhead.com/ability/cEdZjin/hammer-shot

Hammer Shot + Plasma Cell is not more than Grav Round

Hammer Shot : 1.0 Weapon Damage 1.0 Ranged Bonus Damage

Plasma Cell: .155 Tech Bonus Damage per gcd

Grav Round: 2.11 Tech Bonus Damage

Not even close. AP Cell > Rain of fire on targets with 18% armor. With a full stack of Gravity Vortex it's 14.75% armor.

I've played Assault. It's bad because you don't have the ammo to do anything but run around like a headless chicken spamming a very low dps ability. Maybe if the difference between max and middle regen was less, Assault could be viable. Until then you either cripple your sustained damage for burst or cripple your burst for sustained damage.

True, but equally pvp is not all about kills. The plasma proc snare is very handy on huttball and the 18s incendiary dot is great defending in the other two WZs.

I do prefer gunnery so far however.

18s low dps dot that costs 3 ammo is good?

It's not the job of a high dps low utility class to get kills?

A 33% snare that's dependent on spamming our lowest damaging ability while praying for a proc is good?

If you really want to defend a point use Hail of Bolts, it's instant damage and can keep 5 people off the point for 3(?4?) seconds. Incend in that time can stop only 2 people. Maybe you like basing your strategies around how well you can perform while dead, but I don't.

If you like the 33%snare on a proc, you would probably love the 5second 50% on demand snare from Gunnery, just a thought.

Edited by Kenmuir

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont care about your 2.11 tech dmg ****.

When i look at the tooltip i see plasmal cell 1k dmg over 6 seconds and hammer shot 600-780 while grav round does 16xx-16xx so all in all dot + hammer shot does more damage at the moment than grav round.

I know grav round stacks up the vortex... played gunnery a long time and of course it´s really nice. But Assault isnt bad either. But you wont believe and that´s okay for me because i just don´t care.

And still you understand nothing. Skilled Plasma Cell procs with almost every Hammer Shot. In fact in the whole warzone a few min ago i havent seen any hammer shot where i had to shoot two times to apply the snare and proc.

Edited by Littlegnat

i recently went from gunnery to assault. as it fits my playstyle better...as gunnery i could kill people faster then assault but noticed at the end of the WZ i was getting better ''damage'' as assault (and i dont have rain of fire yet) i found this to be a curious thing for me but as i was playing my brother looked over my shoulder and asked ''why are you hitting one person then switching target''

so i was hitting IR-tab-IR-tab- (and HM when i was out of targets or out of ammo) to stop people taking WZ objectives (volley works but in a high risk situation takes to long and/or can be interrupted, hail of bolts works well but after you get one round off your toast) and before i knew it i was getting awesome returns on my damage over gunnery and was also getting MVP votes for ''having a little more skill then just spamming grav'' which is ironic cuz all i am doing is spamming IR HIB and HM...

just wanted to throw that story to ya for your consideration

i recently went from gunnery to assault. as it fits my playstyle better...as gunnery i could kill people faster then assault but noticed at the end of the WZ i was getting better ''damage'' as assault (and i dont have rain of fire yet) i found this to be a curious thing for me but as i was playing my brother looked over my shoulder and asked ''why are you hitting one person then switching target''

so i was hitting IR-tab-IR-tab- (and HM when i was out of targets or out of ammo) to stop people taking WZ objectives (volley works but in a high risk situation takes to long and/or can be interrupted, hail of bolts works well but after you get one round off your toast) and before i knew it i was getting awesome returns on my damage over gunnery and was also getting MVP votes for ''having a little more skill then just spamming grav'' which is ironic cuz all i am doing is spamming IR HIB and HM...

lol thats cause everyone who goes gunnery almost stops using aoe big damage attack one we get grav round. mortar volley, hail of bolts, plasma grenade all have crazy aoe damage and if when used when off gcd. they can make you easily hit 300k+ damage mark alone.

lol thats cause everyone who goes gunnery almost stops using aoe big damage attack one we get grav round. mortar volley, hail of bolts, plasma grenade all have crazy aoe damage and if when used when off gcd. they can make you easily hit 300k+ damage mark alone.

no the point i was making is that i DONT use volley or HoB...i do use plasma if i get the chance and i know im going to die,

the point i was making is that i just use IR and tab to max on my end round damage, if i got guys in front of me and im not a target then ofc i will blast off volley but if im alone and i see say 2 ppl trying to take the objective....

its faster to IR and tab then it is to stop aim volley and fire or throw a sticky grenade...im not so sure about bolts but im no pvp pro, it takes me at least a sec to aim the aoe

^^^^^^

this text is exactly why most ppl play assault.

Cause u get higher dmg number on end-score statistic.

Tell me 1 thing, how does a IR tab IR tab helps ur team?

the rarity to stop someone from tabbing a control point are under 2 limits:

1) no healer who can cleanse

2) not to be one of those classes who have cleanse themself (even vanish work).

Even i as gunnery, i have always my cleanse ability on my skillbar to remove dots after killing someone near a control point, if needed.

And if it goes just for the 1dot thingy, i also have plasma on gunnery spec which can be made free and instant.

U do 0 pressure. Ur "dmg" can even be outhealed by any non "main heal"-spec class.

All u do is getting big numbers at the end score. But u have 0use for ur team.

The other thing is i would never mvp a dd. For what? we get enough medals anyway (not like tank or those with guard but we get enough)

Think about healer!

What medals a healer get?

2,5k heal

5k heal (good gear needed)

75k heal

300k heal

1death blow if lucky.

beside that he get nothing (atleast when he does his healer job right)

I always mvp the healer.

Anyway,

ur IR tab IR tab, does nothing, except giving yourself a ***** cause u did so AWESOME overall total dmg.

oh and not to mention u can dot 4ppl before u are out of ammo. GJ! u did well.

After that u can spam hammershot all day long until u can tab and ir again xD sounds really awesome!

PS: this was just to this person, not to the AS spec itself.

I still think that both are viable.

But the AS spec is for me more a spec which u use in the 10-49bg's and early 50.

Gunnery has way more effective use.

And i played both, and both specs are as easy as the other spec is. Pressing those few skills isn't anything spezial at all.

Edited by Sorotas

^^^^^^

this text is exactly why most ppl play assault.

Cause u get higher dmg number on end-score statistic.

Tell me 1 thing, how does a IR tab IR tab helps ur team?

the rarity to stop someone from tabbing a control point are under 2 limits:

1) no healer who can cleanse

2) not to be one of those classes who have cleanse themself (even vanish work).

Even i as gunnery, i have always my cleanse ability on my skillbar to remove dots after killing someone near a control point, if needed.

And if it goes just for the 1dot thingy, i also have plasma on gunnery spec which can be made free and instant.

U do 0 pressure. Ur "dmg" can even be outhealed by any non "main heal"-spec class.

All u do is getting big numbers at the end score. But u have 0use for ur team.

The other thing is i would never mvp a dd. For what? we get enough medals anyway (not like tank or those with guard but we get enough)

Think about healer!

What medals a healer get?

2,5k heal

5k heal (good gear needed)

75k heal

300k heal

1death blow if lucky.

beside that he get nothing (atleast when he does his healer job right)

I always mvp the healer.

Anyway,

ur IR tab IR tab, does nothing, except giving yourself a ***** cause u did so AWESOME overall total dmg.

oh and not to mention u can dot 4ppl before u are out of ammo. GJ! u did well.

After that u can spam hammershot all day long until u can tab and ir again xD sounds really awesome!

PS: this was just to this person, not to the AS spec itself.

I still think that both are viable.

But the AS spec is for me more a spec which u use in the 10-49bg's and early 50.

Gunnery has way more effective use.

And i played both, and both specs are as easy as the other spec is. Pressing those few skills isn't anything spezial at all.

its not all i do. it was just an example, and yes i personally MVP my healers too, i even aim to heal if possible, hearing a story about what happened one day in a WZ does not give you the right to say im useless altho i understand why you would, most people i come up against are inquisitors which most (not all) have no skill and spamm lightning, which by all means they can do till their keyboard button wears through but because they do mean that they do not hit cleanse or even know when to hit it. plus if they do i just recast IR. aside from that i nver knew plasma could be made instant so il be sure to check that out

i MIGHT be wrong,

but when i read how u play it sounds so horrible....

I don't know you so i don't wanna insult u here right now, but u rly should read the last 3-5pages on this thread carefully.

U might gonna get some tips or some ways to improve ur gameplay.

Edited by Sorotas

i MIGHT be wrong,

but when i read how u play it sounds so horrible....

I don't know you so i don't wanna insult u here right now, but u rly should read the last 3-5pages on this thread carefully.

U might gonna get some tips or some ways to improve ur gameplay.

i play whichever the situation calls for, door/turret being taken? = Dot's, i heal alot (not much in pvp but its not difficult to slap on support cell if needed, obv not in huttball thats just crazy talk) the HM heal is awesome as a pvp taunt, a ''hey over here'' skill for when u need your REAL healer to take a small break, HoB can do the same thing to stop the door/turret being taken but as soon as you are targeted you are prob gunna die, IR's DoT lasts 18 secs over plasma's 6. so once you are down then its a max of 6 secs b4 they start to take it again, my way keeps them at bay longer and i just pray they dont remove the DoT, i mean compared to a grav round spammer my way has more uses, its not a play style its a tactic thats used at the right time

edit: out of curiosity at what tree and level does plasma grenade become instant? as you mentioned before

Edited by Rocco_

I'm a newbie to SWTOR and MMOs in general, love the idea of PvP and like the look of Commando, got to lvl 10, chose it and have been tossing up b/w Assault and Gunnery so found this thread. Have played a couple of WZs and done ok (medal or 2 each time, more kills than deaths).

But reading this I realize I have no idea what most of you are saying, let alone how to implement it! Seems like it will take years for me not to be one of those "stupid" players an erlier post referred to.

Don't even know enough about my game style to know what suits, so will take a punt and go Assault.

But my real question is - HOW DO I LEARN ALL THIS STUFF AND BECOME OK AT PvP AND NOT LET MY TEAM DOWN?!?

Is a guild the answer? (is this a stupid question?)?

Am a casual player - family life means <10 hoursnper week, and in Ausralia, so lots of time when I am playing not many others from US on server.

Any advice welcome.

why u don#t check it urself at ur skill trainer????

Tech Override

Your next ability with an activation time will activate instantly. This effect lasts for up to 15 seconds.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/6oKxgJx/tech-override

oh the skill, you said talent. and how does this effect anything, u get a decent damage burst every few mins with that, you will prob only get a chance to use it once or twice in a WZ, hardly tide turner

I'm a newbie to SWTOR and MMOs in general, love the idea of PvP and like the look of Commando, got to lvl 10, chose it and have been tossing up b/w Assault and Gunnery so found this thread. Have played a couple of WZs and done ok (medal or 2 each time, more kills than deaths).

But reading this I realize I have no idea what most of you are saying, let alone how to implement it! Seems like it will take years for me not to be one of those "stupid" players an erlier post referred to.

Don't even know enough about my game style to know what suits, so will take a punt and go Assault.

But my real question is - HOW DO I LEARN ALL THIS STUFF AND BECOME OK AT PvP AND NOT LET MY TEAM DOWN?!?

Am a casual player - family life means <10 hoursnper week, and in Ausralia, so lots of time when I am playing not many others from US on server.

Any advice welcome.

My only advice would be to simply play your character and level up. As you level you figure things out, and then when you try a different spec you figure even more things out. Every new skill you get, use it and figure out when it is viable to use and when it isn't. PVP is tricky(IMO) until you can really get your full tree.

Learn your cool downs, learn how to activate certain skills, and after a few days of playing you'll begin to understand. When your level 10-20 the tree doesn't matter whatsoever because the good skills come around 30 iirc.

And after toying around with Assault a bit, I actually like it. I'm not sure which one I like more out of the two specs because I only played 5 WZ's with Assault so far but I noticed a few times.

-Assaults damage doesn't just come from incendery round...It really comes from Rain of Fire(boost to FA/HIB/CB/Hammer when shooting burning targets), a good rotation trying to accumulate an extra HIB through Ionic Accelerator, and hitting criticals(which is very often....).

Edited by UglyStik

Any advice welcome.

learning the game is not all that hard, its the acronyms that you have to learn, in the last few posts that i have done i was talking about skills, so look at your skills and just take the first letter of each word (i dont mean to sound condescending sorry) in commando most stuff is either HM= hammer shot, HIB= high impact bolt, u get the idea

unless you mean you dont know what we mean by what to do in a WZ (warzone) or BG (battleground) an objective is one of 2 things

1) its something you need in that warzone: I.E...

1a) the ball in huttball

1b) the door (this can be both planting and disarming the bomb) in voidstar (the big ship)

1c) stealing the turret in alderan civil war

2) this could mean the way to gain a medal at the end of the WZ. I.E do X amount of damage, heals, etc

but seeing as you decided to ask in this thread im going to assume you are asking about the skill tree

1) gunnery, comes into its element at 20 when you get gravity round, this is a game changer for some commandos as they tend to only use this till they get demo round and nearly all the talents after it just make it better or make other skills work with it

2) assault, this is the mobility tree (assuming you do not want to heal) is good at 20 you get IR and becomes great at 33 (rain of fire talent) which adds 9% damage (to a burning target) to HM, full auto, and HIB...

again sorry for sounding condescending but its better to get it all once then ask twice right?

yes, a guild is definitvely a step in the right direction. make sure you group with better players and listen to them to learn what they do and why they do it. You have to use Teamspeak, without communication there can't be any form of competitive gaming. And make sure you listen to the right guys.

also, one of the best ways to get better is by playing against a stronger opponent. So dont just leave Warzones (like some do) that you think you wont win. It's ridiculous what games we still were able to turn around.

As for gameplay: from now on, you arent allowed to activate ANY of your skills by mouseclick. Use a HOTKEY for every single one of them, even buffs and regs that you dont use in combat. F1 to F6, 1 to 0, alt+1 to 0, ctrl+1 to 0, shift+1 to 0 and easy accessible letters like q, e , r, y, x, c, f are all viable options. DONT GET USED TO MOUSECLICKING STUFF! if you cant manage to use 30 different skills with hotkeys, try only using 10. If you do this, you will begin to see, that in certain situations, your hands react in the right way (for example you activate a heal, shield or an interrupt) before your brain even realizes what it has to do.

yes, a guild is definitvely a step in the right direction. make sure you group with better players and listen to them to learn what they do and why they do it. You have to use Teamspeak, without communication there can't be any form of competitive gaming. And make sure you listen to the right guys.

also, one of the best ways to get better is by playing against a stronger opponent. So dont just leave Warzones (like some do) that you think you wont win. It's ridiculous what games we still were able to turn around.

As for gameplay: from now on, you arent allowed to activate ANY of your skills by mouseclick. Use a HOTKEY for every single one of them, even buffs and regs that you dont use in combat. F1 to F6, 1 to 0, alt+1 to 0, ctrl+1 to 0, shift+1 to 0 and easy accessible letters like q, e , r, y, x, c, f are all viable options. DONT GET USED TO MOUSECLICKING STUFF! if you cant manage to use 30 different skills with hotkeys, try only using 10. If you do this, you will begin to see, that in certain situations, your hands react in the right way (for example you activate a heal, shield or an interrupt) before your brain even realizes what it has to do.

wisdom beyond words, well said

What a freaking discussion and the people who shout the most got no clue about their class omg.

Hammer shot fires i dont know probably 4 to 6 shots never counted... ;) ? so let´s say 5 times 16%. I don´t think you need to be lucky inflicting your target.

Sadly Plasma Cell seems to be buggy as i just stated in the known issues thread. Only one target can be affected at the same time and the dot only makes 2/3 of the damage it should do. That it doesnt refresh on the same target isn´t a bug imho because if it would you could slow your target down the whole time to 50% movement speed. Would be way to overpowered.

To the Topic. Assault Spec isnt based around Charged Bolt it´s all based around Hammer Shot and DoT´s and mobility. But if you aren´t attacked it gets quite a nice boost due to the HiB CD refresh you get of CB and FA.

Likewise as you nicely stated the damage. Hammer Shot does 9% more damage to burning targets and Plasma Cell is a really nice addition. Managing your ammo correctly you can do really nice damage comparable to Gunnery Tree.

Edit: When you sum up HS + Plasma Cell Effect the damage is above the one of Grav Round. Thats without cost of any ammo and while being perfectly mobile ;)

I think i need to specc to Assault again. Just the buggy Plasma Cell keeps me still away to respec.

About the snare you are incorrect about that, snare can pretty much be up 100% of the time there is a short dely when you refresh the snare thou.

If you wonder why it is only 2s snare, when you use HS it is around 2s GCD before you can use another abilites. So yes you do spam HS time to time.

Edited by Gomhi

Uglystik, Rocco and Secured, thanks for the advice.

Had a hunch best to just keep playing and learning - definitely will. thanks for rotation advice Uglystick.

Rocco, as you suspected, was asking about skill trees, and rotations and the like, I do get the objectives, and no need to worry about condecention, happy to get all feedback.

Secured, Will check out guilds. Happy to listen to and play against better players. Will give hotkey approach a go, though. Wouldn't dream of walking out on a war zone/battleground.

oh the skill, you said talent. and how does this effect anything, u get a decent damage burst every few mins with that, you will prob only get a chance to use it once or twice in a WZ, hardly tide turner

my statement:

where did i say talent?

I said u can also stop them from tabbing as u can with AS, which give ur team enough time to react.

Edited by Sorotas

Uglystik, Rocco and Secured, thanks for the advice.

Had a hunch best to just keep playing and learning - definitely will. thanks for rotation advice Uglystick.

Rocco, as you suspected, was asking about skill trees, and rotations and the like, I do get the objectives, and no need to worry about condecention, happy to get all feedback.

Secured, Will check out guilds. Happy to listen to and play against better players. Will give hotkey approach a go, though. Wouldn't dream of walking out on a war zone/battleground.

The best thing to do to really learn a class is to watch someone stream their game, preferably someone who talks about what they're doing. For example look at: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/Star%20Wars:%20The%20Old%20Republic and try to find someone who is playing the class you want to learn. It helps to ask questions too. Also, google searches can help too.

Did some tinkering with assault. duels and warzone LVL 50

Pros-

Mobile

Can delay capture points.

Higest sutained dps, in warzones. I got number one everytime.

Cons-

If they use any types of heals, your damage is completely negated.

Lack of burst( I'm sorry Plastique, Hib, cb, incin, etc is weak even if it crits).

Hard to kill people solo.

Possible Fixes-

Add a talent to reduce healing done by a certain percentage, while incinerated.

buff incen round to do more inital direct damage.

Add another mobile ability that such as:

Implosion: Ignites current dots on target dealing x amount of damage per dot ( Assault has three types of dots). This ability uses all existing dots or uses all of the charges

Or change the way dots work and have them work as charges max 5 charges per target. that way Implosion can be easier to control.

Summary.

It's fun being mobile and having highest Damage for MVP votes, thats about it.

Gunnery

Pros-

Burst Damage.

Has no problems with healing classes.

Great debuff and deadly when combined with ap rounds.

CC and Stockstrike are great for throwing people in traps or off bridges

Cons-

Stationary

interrupted easy

one main ability

Fixes

I think gunnery is fine. the great burst dps makes up for being stationary as does charged barrier. My biggest rant is how Full auto is more often than not bugged. which makes the talents useless

I think full auto needs to be revamped, let it replace hammer strike for all troopers after lvl 30 or 40. Make it instant and higher damage with more shots fired for all commandos; no channel free to cast or cost 1 ammo depending on scaling.

Replace full auto talents with a new ability. Gravity Well: Creates a unstable gravity field This could be an aoe snare, stun or cc.

I like the AOE snare, it could do a small amount of damage and have a 15 yard radius. Stun Might be too oped, an aoe cc would be cool, break with damage ( 6 secs or so).

Summary

This is the go to spec for most commandos who want to melt faces and be a stationary turret.

Overall

Assault, Full auto need some serious loving.

Edited by Joshrus