The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How fast/slow do you kill mobs as a Shield Spec Vanguard?

ChromeLight

How many GCDs do you take to kill

1) Weak/Standard (Gunnery Commando /w Elara takes 2 GCDs)

2) Strong Silvers (Gunnery Commando /w Elara takes 3-4 GCDs)

3) Elite Gold (Gunnery Commando /w Elara takes 5-7 GCDs)

4) Boss Platinum (Gunnery Commando /w Elara takes 10-15 GCDs)

as a Shield Spec Vanguard?

Edited by ChromeLight

Personally, I start at about 4-5 GCDs for standard/weak enemies and a Platinum will take me into the minutes range. All with Elara.

On the other hand, against a lone Platinum with judicious use of defensive cooldowns, interrupts, CC and a "Carbonized Stream"-deactivated Elara I will normally end fights at close to full health.

Basically we are much slower at killing stuff but we can take a hell of a beating and keep going.

This is at lvl37, so things may change later on. :)

I never used Elara during leveling. Just not bothered due to the slowness with her around. I used Jorgan and then later Forex in damage gear and went on a killing spree instead.

At 50 mobs die fairly easy when you have Yuun along. You can easily take on a strong and elite at the same time and go out with 50% hp lost and no defensive cooldowns used. A regular mob die in 3-4 gcd usually from using Sticky, Pulse and Stockstrike. It's about the same on strong mobs due to Yuun hitting so silly hard.

As said though, then our killing speed is slower, but you can take on very large groups or constant waves without a healer companion and hardly sweat during the encounters.

This is at lvl37, so things may change later on

Provided you keep your gear up -- and it's super easy with pvp gear @ 40... the only thing that changes in the 40s is you fight lots more elites. So, for those of you < 40 reading this think about equipping Elara with pvp gear @ 40. You will be glad you did when you fight all those elites. Elites are trivial with a healer companion.

How many GCDs do you take to kill

1) Weak/Standard (Gunnery Commando /w Elara takes 2 GCDs)

2) Strong Silvers (Gunnery Commando /w Elara takes 3-4 GCDs)

3) Elite Gold (Gunnery Commando /w Elara takes 5-7 GCDs)

4) Boss Platinum (Gunnery Commando /w Elara takes 10-15 GCDs)

as a Shield Spec Vanguard?

I do about 650-700 long term single target dps.

So an elite mob with 30k health goes down in 45 seconds. Takes 2.5 minutes to kill a champion with 100k life. (I've timed these before out of curiosity)

Are you level 50? Can you really kill an elite in 10 seconds? I went DPS vanguard in both assault and tactics, and found my dps went up to around 1000-1100, but if you can kill an elite in 10 seconds, thats like 3000 dps! Maybe I'll reroll if thats the case :p

This is a very gear/tactics related question. If I average my GCD:s over my levelling (and don't compare to lvl50 epic gear) and assume you mean single-target dps (without opener), it would probably be something like:

1) Weak/Standard (Shield Spec Vanguard /w Elara takes ~2-3 GCDs)

2) Strong Silvers (Shield Spec Vanguard /w Elara takes ~5-8 GCDs)

3) Elite Gold (I haven't counted, and don't get bored duing the fight, but I'm never anywhere close to dying ;-))

4) Boss Platinum (I haven't counted, and have time to get a bit bored duing the fight, but I'm never anywhere close to dying ;-))

I preferred using Elara over Jorgen/4X during levelling as I found the downtime to reload with Jorgan was more disruptive to my play flow than perhaps taking a bit longer for each group with Elara, but instead being able to seamlessly chain charges/volleys into the next group.

Edited by Treefinger

I preferred using Elara over Jorgen/4X during levelling as I found the downtime to reload with Jorgan was more disruptive to my play flow than perhaps taking a bit longer for each group with Elara, but instead being able to seamlessly chain charges/volleys into the next group.

^ pretty much this, it all boils down to prefered playstyle:

1. you can hit the mobs hard and fast, but you'll spend more time standing around reloading

or

2. take it slow and steady and need more time for the fight but less time regenerating.

i too prefer the second way: you have more fighting on your hands and less standing-around-diddeling-my-gun moments. i guess the time spend is roughly the same, so why not keep most of the time reserved for fighting.