Crew skills advice needed - slicing + ?

oldshatterhand

I am a level 43 mercenary and only focused on Slicing so far which I got close to 400. The way I see it, I have 2 options: either biochem + bioanalysis or scavenging+cybertech. Since biochem seems to be superior I'd rather go for it, but have no idea if it is viable without Diplomacy.

Also, which of the 2 combinations is cheaper to get to 400? And can gathering skills (bioanalysis/scavenging) be raised through missions only so I avoid going back to low level planets?

I tend to think that biochem is an amazing crafting way to go but to get the main boost from biochem is if u craft the reusable items. Those item cannot be crafted without the diplomacy crew skill. Biochem and salvaging can be increased by only crew missions but there will always be some enemy with a giant robo/rancor to kill that u can salvage or biochem the corpse.

On my first 50 I did Biochem + Bioanal + Slicing. Very cheap to level and you make nice bank picking up lockboxes everywhere as well as selling missions you get as slicing rewards.

You don't need Diplomacy. What I did was just watch the GTN and by the reusable stuff that people sold...however I think those are BOP now. I would hazard to say it is still cheaper to buy the blue and epic level mats to RE grind to the reusable level. Which I did most of the time till I figured I could just buy the assembled piece instead.

I am a level 43 mercenary and only focused on Slicing so far which I got close to 400. The way I see it, I have 2 options: either biochem + bioanalysis or scavenging+cybertech. Since biochem seems to be superior I'd rather go for it, but have no idea if it is viable without Diplomacy.

Also, which of the 2 combinations is cheaper to get to 400? And can gathering skills (bioanalysis/scavenging) be raised through missions only so I avoid going back to low level planets?

You can lvl Biochem without of diplomacy but you still need it for all the cool stuff.

Just another idea, and a question. what are your other crew skills currently? I tried to switch my gatering skill at lvl 30, and had to send Mako on a S. Ton of early crud missions to lvl up so that I could even gather on Plants and Dead Droids that were my level range. Switching Gathering skills mid game, turned into a pretty big credit sink just to get so I could gather again on the Planet I was on.

my current route is this, my BH is my main char, and I just have Gather/Gather/Slicing.

when running around the planets I can get all the plants and droid parts I come across, and my Extra Comp are out making money doing slicing.

Then I will send Money and gathered materials to my Alts who do the crafting. And when I log into them to do the crafting, like Biochem, his Comp will run out and do a Dipomacy Mission. And with the funding from my main, I will just buy the couple items I can't come across if I need too.

Hope this helps. I think my next Char is just going to have Gather/Gather/Gather, just so I don't miss anything in the envoroment... but then I'll be missing out on Lockboxes and slicing missions...

So unless I ditch Slicing for Diplomacy, I'm basically forced to go with Cybertech+Scavenging.

No, it's the same story with cyber- you still need underworld trading to be able to craft all the blue/purple stuff. And why would you want to use Cybertech over Biochem?!

It's only useful craft is augmented mastercraft earpiece. The rest is total crap, even reusable nades, aren't worth the mats, due to their long cooldowns.

Well now I only have 400 Slicing and 100 treasure hunting at level 43. Guess I will increase treasure hunting next till I hit 50, then ditch it and slicing and switch to the holy trinity biochem/bioanalysis/diplomacy :mad:

Getting biochem on an alt isn't a solution since all the good stuff requires 400 biochem to use

I was in the same boat as you. I had slicing, biochem and bioanalysis. As I was fairly low level at the time I checked the market place for how much the blue mats were going for from diplomacy. I freaked... I had no idea of the economy at the time. So I leveled another character to where they could pick up the crew skills and she's at 400 diplomacy now. She provides all the mats while never having been leveled. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I probably spent more on the missions to level it than I would have just buying the mats I needed from the market place.....