Help picking an alt

Sirgarrett

Alright, I absolutely love alts, and I'm looking for a new one.

I have a Commando and a Vanguard mainly because I love their play style. (story was nice, but not quite what I was hoping for.)

Now since this is in fact Star Wars, I thought I should finally pick up a light saber.

What I'm looking for is a class that's good for pve dps (My vanguard already tanks, and my commando is a healer) And is good at 1 vs 1 pvp.

Also, I really don't want any comments along the lines of "Play what you want" or "Sage/sorc are best". If you believe the second comment, great, and I would love to hear it if you have good theory craft to back up what your saying.

tl;dr: I want a jedi/sith class and I want to hear peoples theory craft on which one has the best dps/ is best in 1 vs. 1 pvp.

I do very little PvP, so consider my advice with criticism.

If you're dueling, I don't know ; however, for battlegrounds (mass PvP slaughter), I think a major advantage is the one that allows you to pick your fights : Stealth. Jedi shadows and Sith assassins are thus my advice. You move unnoticed, you spot your target, you alpha-strike it, you disappear. No other light-saber wielder can do that.

Knights\Warriors need full dedication to shine. So if it's your "have-fun" alt, I'd suggest that you steer clear of those archetypes. They have a steep learning curve (over 40 keybinds, regularly pressed, several cooldowns need to be tracked in your head - unless you want to keep staring at the action bar), they're generally not very forgiving, rather lag-sensitive (especially Marauder\Sent) and they need good gear to unfold their potential.

I started having real fun on my Guardian tank only when I hit 400 Expertise and Columi-level gear for PvP and PvE respectively. Marauder was slightly different - fast start, slow finish - started picking up the pace again only when I stacked some Expertise.

I want to echo the poster above and suggest Shadow\Assassin. Easy in solo play, good in groups, decent in PvP, but also have a solid skill-cap, despite the initial ease-of-use (tank\DoT hybrid is one of the strongest builds for 1 vs 1 - at least was before 1.1.2 - now I'm not sure). Here's a decent PvP burst guide from Powerr, in case you're interested in this class.

Edited by Helig

Knights\Warriors need full dedication to shine. So if it's your "have-fun" alt, I'd suggest that you steer clear of those archetypes. They have a steep learning curve (over 40 keybinds, regularly pressed, several cooldowns need to be tracked in your head - unless you want to keep staring at the action bar), they're generally not very forgiving, rather lag-sensitive (especially Marauder\Sent) and they need good gear to unfold their potential.

I started having real fun on my Guardian tank only when I hit 400 Expertise and Columi-level gear for PvP and PvE respectively. Marauder was slightly different - fast start, slow finish - started picking up the pace again only when I stacked some Expertise.

I want to echo the poster above and suggest Shadow\Assassin. Easy in solo play, good in groups, decent in PvP, but also have a solid skill-cap, despite the initial ease-of-use (tank\DoT hybrid is one of the strongest builds for 1 vs 1 - at least was before 1.1.2 - now I'm not sure). Here's a decent PvP burst guide from Powerr, in case you're interested in this class.

Beautiful. Everything I hoped people would reply with. Thank you. Greatly appreciated.

I do very little PvP, so consider my advice with criticism.

If you're dueling, I don't know ; however, for battlegrounds (mass PvP slaughter), I think a major advantage is the one that allows you to pick your fights : Stealth. Jedi shadows and Sith assassins are thus my advice. You move unnoticed, you spot your target, you alpha-strike it, you disappear. No other light-saber wielder can do that.

And thank you as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be playing as shadow. Its good to know that the community has gems like you two. Posting this I was really worried it would end up being like half the other forums with people raging about everything.

Regardless of class, when you roll an alt, I recommend switching sides. Since you've played republic, your alt should be empire.

The environments are totally different, different towns, different story, different voice acting, you go to some planets that the other side doesn't and you go to some planets at different levels than the other side. Also, some FPs are exclusive.

Its like a whole other game! :) You'll enjoy it much more if you do.

Jedi Sentinel / Sith Marauder is a lot of fun. Personally, I'd go with the Sith Marauder. They look cooler and I heard they have a better story.

Just know going in that Sentinel/Marauder is the hardest class in the game by far, requires you to master the class, has over 30+ keybinds to be effective in pvp and all need to be used situationally. There's no simple rotations, and even if you learn it all and master it, there's little payoff, you only do as much dps as any other class, and we're melee and get constantly knocked back and cc'd and kited. We have some responses to kiting, but no knockback or cc.

I like Marauder, but its hard. Know what you sign up for.

I play mainly a consular shadow. I really enjoy the class, but the story is lack luster. I actually steered clear of the sage because as I Jedi, I wanted a class that was centered around the lightsaber. Even the best example of a Jedi Sage, Yoda, was a beast with a LS. And the sage just didn't offer that for me. For the best cinematic Jedi experience, my vote is either Jedi guardian or shadow.

I play mainly a consular shadow. I really enjoy the class, but the story is lack luster. I actually steered clear of the sage because as I Jedi, I wanted a class that was centered around the lightsaber. Even the best example of a Jedi Sage, Yoda, was a beast with a LS. And the sage just didn't offer that for me. For the best cinematic Jedi experience, my vote is either Jedi guardian or shadow.

Jedi Shadow use a mix of lightsaber and force abilities. Jedi Sage use almost only force abilities.

As for the story, it's about discovery of knowledge, unlike some (like soldier or knight, as far as I know) which are about hunt of the enemy. It's not for everyone's taste, but it's far from being bad. I'm almost at the end, and it's close to epic.

I want to echo one of the above posters : if you played a republic character, consider swtiching side ; a breath of fresh air.

Travel to the fleet. Locate the armor vendors and look at all the sets.

Play the class that you think has the most beautiful (or least ugly) design - you'll spend a lot of time looking like that.

/edit:

Almost forgot: The voice of the character might also something worth checking out before deciding. E.g. the female inquisitor voice is really really good and exaggerated (wich fit's the story quite well) ... I sometimes almost hate her for being such an arrogant snob.

Edited by Hxxr