The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech to shoot or burn

barnjourno

PT is primarily a melee tank, with a twist (see below). The attacks that keep you in melee range are primarily Rocket Punch and Flame Burst. They make up a sizeable percentage of your damage, especially with RP proc'ing your cylinder and the multiple talents that make Flame Burst worth it. Also, Flame Sweep, god's gift to PT AoE tanking is pretty much melee range, zero cooldown but generates a lot of heat so you have to be cautious about spamming it. I've held aggro on 5+ mobs by alternating Flame Sweep and Rapid Shot. Grapple / taunt anything that happens to get away. Just ask your dps to work their way up the chart from red to gold. That way by the time all the reds and silvers are dead, you only have a gold or two to deal with and by that time, if you've been doing your job, they are locked pretty solid on you.

Despite all the theorycrafters on here that say PTs can't ranged tank, you *can* range tank. I do it all the time. For example, gold gun turrets in Cade (and other FPs, Cade just comes to mind cuz I ran it last night). They are stationary, non-cc'able and too far away from each other for most AoE. The strat for keeping them both is not complicated. Aggro one, Rocket Punch and Flame Burst it. Unload and Rail Shot the other. Taunt as needed. So long as you don't have dps hitting both, you can easily hold aggro on both.

Edited by maschovy